Hey gang... current cell is a LG Voyager... POS but thats not the point here... anyhow it has a bit of water damage... not going to get into that one either..... and is on the Fritz.....

I am eligible for one year upgrade without discount pricing... and right now VZW has the Pearl for free if you get it online..

Will this suit my purposes? Been wanting to get a BB for some time.... will be using it mainly for calls and text messaging..... mild e-mail usage but I dont need it for work or anything.... what do you think?
    02-25-09 11:18 PM
    I'm actually going to add a line soon and put my gf on the plan. I plan on getting her a 8130 too. It seems like a solid phone. I hate the sure type thing but I'm sure my gf will adjust. I prefer texting on a curve. But its down to personal preference, research it a lil more and maybe try it out at a store.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-09 11:54 PM
    I dont like the size of the other BB devices. That is the main reason I am looking at a Pearl
    02-25-09 11:58 PM
    Hmm, are you sure you can go from a relatively big screen on the Vger to a small screen like the Pearl?

If you can manage the extra cost, I'd recommend the 8330.

02-25-09 11:59 PM
    Well then if size actually matters go with the pearl. Its a good device.
    02-25-09 11:59 PM
    Pearl is a decent device. If you don't like the Suretype, you can always enable multitap for text. You can do fine with it.

The 8330 Curve is also a very good choice. It is only half again as wide as the Pearl, and the extra width is very easy to get used to.

In the end, it is your personal feeling about which one you choose. I love my Curve, and my wife enjoys her Pearl.

02-26-09 12:09 AM
    Hmm, are you sure you can go from a relatively big screen on the Vger to a small screen like the Pearl?

If you can manage the extra cost, I'd recommend the 8330.

Hadnt really thought about that.... Has BB gotten the bugs out of the Storm yet?
    02-26-09 12:10 AM
    Jury still out on the Storm. Opinions varied and often heated on that one.

02-26-09 12:42 AM
    Well, if you are considering the Storm that's a lot more than the free Pearl. Lol

Have you played with the Dare? If you only do light texting, the lack of a physical qwerty might not be so bad. It has a really nice, big screen, and it doesn't require the BB data/email plan. You have to be in an area that isn't weak in signal though, as the Dare will drop calls that the BBs will hold in low signal areas. My experience w/the Dare? My wife has one and loves it. It's the poorman's Storm. Lol

02-26-09 01:11 AM
    Wow. U jumped from the Pearl to the Storm. Go on with your bad self!!
    The Pearl, as others have said, is a very good phone. I alternate between my Curve & Pearl. For a free phone the Pearl wont disappoint you.
    02-26-09 01:15 AM
    Hadnt really thought about that.... Has BB gotten the bugs out of the Storm yet?
    I love my storm but you have to have patience lol, it is still buggy in some area's but with the leak OS coming everyday or week it gets better every time and more stable.
    02-26-09 01:55 AM
    I recommend the Pearl. I like mine better than the Curve that I used to have. I find it easier to type on because my fingers aren't "little button" friendly. And at a price like free...I don't believe there is an argument.
    02-26-09 02:10 AM
    Dont want a dare... was thinking of having this voyager replaced under my ins. and then selling the "new" one on e-bay... and using that $$$ to cover the storm.... its only 199 on a 2 year contract.....
    02-26-09 07:42 AM
    Ha seems you should change this post to "Pearl 8130...no."
    02-26-09 09:18 AM
    8330 Curve over pearl, had both and love the Curve. The decision is up to you in the end...
    02-26-09 09:22 AM
    Ok... new development.....

Voyager started working fine... or rather as good as it did before it got wet... so I wont be turning it in to the insurance.... still considering the upgrade to the pearl though... the only thing I dont like about curve,etc is the size.......was willing to put up with a bigger phone for the storm... but dont want the giant phone in my pocket
    02-26-09 09:51 AM
    New development....
    Voyager started working fine... or rather as good as it did before it got wet... so I wont be turning it in to the insurance.... still considering the upgrade to the pearl though... the only thing I dont like about curve,etc is the size.......was willing to put up with a bigger phone for the storm... but dont want the giant phone in my pocket
    02-26-09 09:53 AM
    I got a pearl and love it so far. the sure type took a few days to get used to, but I think i enjoy it now. It seems very intuitive as to what you are trying to type the more you use it.
    02-26-09 10:07 AM
    Might want to wait for the upcoming Pearl Flip, it has a bigger screen, AND it flips closed so no more you know what! (Sorry gang I could not resist!) Either way thou the regular Pearl is a solid phone too.

If you are really thinking about the Storm PLEASE give it a try in the store first it is not for everyone, but I love mine.
    02-26-09 10:08 AM
    The kid sitting here in the CPU lab on campus was nice enough to let me play around with his storm.... still not sure on it... so basically, my current options are Pearl now, or wait 8 MOS with this phone and get a Curve/Storm.... maybe sooner than 8... we will have to see....

What do you guys think? Looked at the curve today its not as big as I thought it was... the only issue I see is that the buttons look awful small
    02-26-09 12:23 PM
    I have the pearl and it is a good BB. From the sound of things, you just need to go play on them at the store.

02-26-09 12:29 PM
    I decided yes. It will be here Monday
    02-27-09 06:26 AM
    Good choice.

02-27-09 10:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD