I just got the Pearl 8130 from Verizon, and I'm wondering whether to keep it or exchange it for an 8100 from AT&T. The new 4.3 OS in the 8130 seems very quirky on both the phone and the desktop software. I have yet to successfully load a third-party application despite having all of the correct software on both the device and the PC. I've already had to have Verizon replace one unit because it was acting strange (clock stopped working, got a flickering screen that was remedied only by taking out the battery, all the icons disappeared at one point and had to remove the battery again to reset). So far the replacement unit hasn't had those problems (though I still can't load 3rd-party apps on it), but I've only had it for a day and I'm worried my 30 days will expire before it starts exhibiting similar behavior. Don't know if it's the OS or the device itself. And while this wouldn't be a deal-breaker, I also don't like that for some reason RIM decided to take the multi-colored LED's out of the trackball on this version (ok, I'm a baby, but it was cool). I'm wondering if I should return this one and get the 8100 from AT&T. Their coverage isn't quite as good, but it's good enough in most places and I can use it out of the country (unlike Verizon), and it has a tried-and-true OS that's been around awhile. Big downside is no 3G. Any thoughts??
    12-09-07 10:30 PM
    The phone it's self is not buggy, nor is the 4.3, it's the OS that Verizon impedes on all their devices (Telus 8130's don't have NEAR as many problems and just look at the 8830's...same deal..), the only other real issue I see here, is the fact your having problems with 3rd party apps, well...some apps have not been updated for 4.3, plus for some of them you have to have the OS installed onto your computer in order to get them to load, dunno if VZW has given you all the option to download it as of yet but if so ...do so..it will solve some of your problems, ultimately the choice is yours if you wanna go back to an 8100 lacking some of the cooler features of the 8130, but if the VZW OS is too buggy for you, switch to something different..I woudn't be with VZW to begin with due to their crappy locked down, enforced OS's anyways...but hey thats just me.
    12-10-07 02:25 AM
    Had the same problem with the Sprint 8130.

So, what needs to happend is that you need:
    Desktop Manager on your computer
    Handheld software on your computer and on your blackberry BlackBerry® Software Updates

Most people miss the handheld(device) software loaded on their computer as well.

Try that it should take about 20 mins to install and then try loading 3p apps.

Let us know if that works.
    12-10-07 06:51 AM
    thanks orle, I had seen that link posted on other forums and downloaded it (it took hours to download for some reason, even though I have a high-speed connection and nothing else was having that problem). It seemed to just be the same desktop manager I already had, and in any event, it didn't work as far as the 3rd party apps were concerned. Got the same message that it couldn't find any apps for my device. I even tried it with an app that said it was specifically for version 4.3, and still no luck.

Not sure if I'm following you about having device software installed on the PC. I have the 4.3 desktop software on the PC and the 4.3 os installed on the device.

What I'm wondering is if RIM is going to come out with a software upgrade for the 8100 that gives it the same media player functions and video. That would help me make up my mind about it. After looking at the 8100 today, I have to say it would be hard to give up my 8130, since the media player is so much better (no shuffle function on the 8100!), the fonts and images are much better and the browser is far superior. But I can't have a device that won't load 3rd party apps!
    12-10-07 02:39 PM
    I had verizon and even though they cripple some functions already set by rim,the difference in coverage and data speeds are unrivaled in the industry,the apps issue might be because of the new os,but be glad you have the new os that must of us would love to have and dont know when we will get it,but i understand about the apps,i cant even think about what it would be like with out them,so if thats the deal breaker,switch before your 30 days are up.third party apps are a must.
    12-10-07 06:18 PM
    **** no! dont do it! idk whats wrong with yours but mine is fine and plsu the 8100's buttons are kinda ugly, the 8130's are nice and curved (haha no pun intended)... if i were you i would wait a bit; everything'll be updated in due time. i wouldn't let your own impatience stop you from having the hottest new bb. your choice but thats what i would do
    12-10-07 06:43 PM
    I tried it yesterday. You have to load the device software on your computer. Try it.
    12-10-07 08:03 PM
    Orle, can you please tell me what you mean by "device software"?
    12-11-07 11:49 AM
    lgoldbaum, when you click on the link I provided in the previous post you want to choose your BB device on the first screen and then select the second option BlackBerry Device Software v4.3 (updated 11-13-2007) and download and install that to your computer. That will official load the Blackberry Device on your home computer and not treat it as any old usb device.
    12-11-07 11:55 AM
    Thanks, Orle, that worked and I can now load the apps. I actually bought the 8100 to see it side by side against the 8130 (I can return one of them before the trial is up). There really is no comparison--aside from the multi-colored trackball, the 8130 is far superior. Camera (especially the flash), media player, screen quality, fonts, browser, data speeds, and network coverage were so much better on the 8130 it actually made the 8100 seem primitive. Thanks for all the input everyone.
    12-11-07 09:20 PM
    It works! Thanks Orle
    01-11-08 02:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD