Hello all, I have recently unlocked a Pearl 8120 to use on the ATT network, and I seem to be in a bit of a precarious situation. I do not have a data plan so I was excited to start using the wifi that is build in. Internet usage was going great until I decided to see what would happen if i turned the wifi off. Lo and behold the internet still worked. Now, coming from an also-unlocked 8100, where the browser would not even open because of the lack of data plan, this seems odd that it would let me use the internet without the data plan. I'm sure that I will be charged for my data usage, (although it would be wonderful to have free web surfing, a man can hope cant he?) I guess I can just wait a few days to see if the data usage shows up on my account website for ATT. I just wanted to know if anyone else has had this issue? Also how do i know if I am using the web though wifi or network connection, and how can i turn the data usage off to strictly use wifi?

thank you in advance,
    Justin
    12-15-09 02:53 PM
    Is this on the same carrier as the 8100 was on?

That's the only difference I can think of. I have an 8130 (no wifi) so I'm not sure but I think any BB will work on the internet if they're data capable. I think it depends on the carrier whether or not your able to use data without a plan.
    12-15-09 04:11 PM
    First thing to check when you surf online - is it the WAP Browser (Data), or the Hotspot Browser (Wi-Fi)? When I first got the 8120, I made the same mistake as well, and I was actually surfing on data instead of wi-fi (even though I had established a wi-fi connection to my router). Luckily, I didn't use my phone for the web that much, so it was only about $15 worth.

After that, I searched this forum, took out my sim card, and messed around with the settings until I was able to use wi-fi to surf the web. Without the sim-card, the phone refuses to use any data-network, so that's one sure way to know if you have the proper settings or not.

Go to your browser, press the menu button, and go to Options, then Browser Configuration. Set it to "Hotspot Browser" and NOT "Media Net". Save, go back, then go to General Properties (it's under Browser Config. in the Options menu). Change "Default Browser" to "Hotspot Browser". Save.

Now take out the sim card, establish a wi-fi connection. If you can surf the web, congrats, you're now using wi-fi instead of data.
    12-15-09 04:33 PM
    Thank you both for your quick replies.

Robot: Yes it is the same carrier (ATT) using unlocked T-Mobile phones.

Kaiser: I did exactly what you told me. However, when I take the sim card out to test the wifi connection, I get "Unable to Connect- Reason: Connection Terminated." as well as a yellow circle with a dash sign next to the wifi connection in the Manage Connections in the menu. Also when I attempt to try the browser it says "The Browser cannot display the web page because the handheld does not contain a valid SIM card".

-Justin
    12-15-09 04:57 PM
    There is a much simpler way to check it out.

Options / Advanced Options / Browser.

Your Default Browser Configuration should be set to Hotspot Browser.

You are not connected to a business network so you don't have to be concerned about the MDS Browser.

The Default WAP Browser should also be set to Hotspot Browser.

With these settings, you will always use the Wifi connection. If you move out of signal range, your connection will fail, as expected.
    12-16-09 10:23 AM
    Reed McLay,
    I cannot set my WAP browser to hotspot browser, the options that I have to choose from are "shop themes, shop applicaitons, shop multimedia, shop tones, music apps, communicty, shop tunes, and media net". Also I went into the wifi diagnostics and for the status, it is listed as "IP address no longer valid". Any suggestions?

-Justin
    12-16-09 12:45 PM
    I'm guessing it's because you're using the WAP browser to try to connect to Wi-Fi. The phone has 2 "browser apps".

On the Home Screen, press "Menu" button, then hit "Show All". There SHOULD be two "globes" for browsing - one is just the globe (Wi-Fi), and the other is a globe with a comet/streak of light circling it (Data/WAP/Media Net). Highlight the WAP browser, hit "Menu" then mark "Hide" - you don't want to use it anyhow, so might as well make it "invisible". Now, do all the setting changes on the Wi-Fi globe. See if that helps.
    12-16-09 06:35 PM
    Unfortunately, I only have one browser, the one with the comet/streak circling it.
    12-19-09 02:38 AM
    ah, that probably explains it. Unfortunately, I'm no help there. Perhaps ask the apps forum or the 8120 forum about how to re-install the Hotspot Browser? Maybe it was deleted previously.
    12-19-09 12:34 PM
    Alright I will do that, Thank you Kaiser for all the help.
    12-19-09 02:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD