I just lost my Pearl 8100 but am eligible for an equipment upgrade anyway (with ATT). I know the new Pearl 8120 is coming out soon (I saw it on my biz. account, but I don't want to switch to biz - long story). Every store is out of the old Pearl which suggests something new might be coming in.

So, for you new 8120 owners and 8310 owners, what would you recommend?

Wi-Fi w/ the 8120 is nice, but full QWERTY is nice too. GPS is meh - I won't subscribe to any services so it's an extra I prob won't use. I know this is purely personal preference (small vs large size etc) - but anything to mention about either phone that isn't obvious from the side-by-side comparison?

Does the wi-fi drain the battery? Are there things the Curve can do that the Pearl can't (someone mentioned one-touch on letters to go to items on your home screen - i.e. press "m" to go to messages, which the Pearl apparently doesn't do).

I honestly like both options (and since I had the Pearl for 6 mos I'm familiar with the suretype, etc). Just curious about users' opinions. Thanks!
    03-18-08 12:34 PM
    I've noticed with mine that when the wifi is on and it's not hooked up with a network the battery does seem to drain a bit quicker.

So what I've taken to doing is to turning the wifi on when I know there is a network there that I have access to - like at home. Can't say I've noticed a real difference in battery drain then.

I don't know whether when the wifi is on, it polls to find networks or only does that when you say search, but the battery only seems to drain when it's not associated with a network. At least it does to me anyhow..
    03-18-08 04:22 PM
    Mmmm.. depends on what you need.

For me, I needed the full keyboard for work emails & stuff - besides the fact that it's just so convenient. And yes, the Curve has many key shortcuts - F: Profiles, M: Messages, etc. Of course, the size of the Pearl is convenient for those who appreciate it's small size, though I happen to think that the Curve isn't that much of a monster. And they both have cameras - which is a plus if you want one.

Good luck on your decision!
    03-18-08 04:54 PM
    Curve all the way it's time to step up
    03-19-08 04:22 AM
    My curves battery holds up fine under high wifi use. Go with the curve its a great Upgrade from the pearl.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-08 06:28 AM
    I mentioned this in "switching from a curve to pearl" topic a little bit below, its your preference. You have your two convenience keys which can be enough not to need the short cuts the Pearl has. I have both, one for company(pearl), other for personal (curve) and if I had the option of the pearl with WiFi, I would get it as the Pearl my company supplied us with were the ones without WiFi (the one you lost.).

Typing on it has been a breeze, especially because of the dictionary that is incredible, to me the best for any SureType device.

03-19-08 06:39 AM
    Check out blackberry.com it will compare multiple phones and there different options.

03-19-08 06:49 AM
    Thanks for all your comments and insights.

I did check out the comparison on Blackberry.com and they're both good. I like the wi-fi but I like the full keyboard too, so I suppose I really cant go wrong. The fact that both have 2mp cameras is a plus, and if the new OS allows video recording on the Curve that would bring it equal to the 8120 which allows video recording.

I got the 8310 last night and since I have 30 days to return it, I figure I will try it out, play with the keyboard (feels different never having had a full QWERTY before! I found myself hitting the "e" key twice for words like "were" since on the pearl "were" requires hitting the "ER" key three times!)

Anyway, if the 8120 is available to consumers in the next month w/in my return period, we;ll see. I didn't want the hassle of switching me and my husband to my business account.

Thanks again!
    03-19-08 10:41 AM
    Just a quick note to mention that I've had my Curve since the day they were released and have dearly loved it. Nothing turned my head from it until I heard AT&T got the 8120. Got it Monday and I just LOVE IT! Wasn't too sure about the Sure Type because I was used to my qwerty but it is indeed remarkable and the camera/video is great not to mention the smallness and lightness compared to the Curve. I live out in the country so the reception sometimes is a little scanty so the wifi really works out great for me. OTA downloads and Internet, email, etc. are really speedy now. Each to his own but I'm sold on this 8120. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT. My precious Curve is hereby retired. Guess it had to happen at some point.
    03-19-08 11:20 AM
    My curves battery holds up fine under high wifi use. Go with the curve its a great Upgrade from the pearl.

No wi-fi with Curve on AT&T
    03-19-08 11:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD