With ATT being the last major phone company in the US to require a data plan for all smartphones, do you think someone is going to jump on a combination pda and phone that does not have any way to access the radio for data? I'm thinking someone will try it with Android. The only question is whether it would have WiFi capabilities or not. Essentially an old style PDA that has a phone but no access to the internet without WiFi or bluetooth.
    10-09-09 07:33 AM
    I doubt it. Carriers make money by requiring the data plan. I doubt that they would try to offer something that makes less money.

You might see a Skype program come out for PDAs, though.
    10-09-09 07:52 AM
    And from what I've been reading, ATT is going to be jumping on the bandwagon and making a data plan necessary for a smart phone.
    10-09-09 08:45 AM
    If your pda has no internet accesability, why even think of a dataplan? Especially if the phone is outdated by many years. I doubt they would even activate it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-09 09:17 AM
    It seems a lot of people want PDA functionality but they do not want the expense of the data plan nor need email or internet on their phone. I'm not sure the carriers would overly love them but then again, you really don't need to get the carrier's permission to run a phone that they do not offer (GSM only, CDMA is another story and carrier's permission is required).
    10-09-09 09:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD