No those are actually good points, but I don't think those are as near as distracting as hearing "click. click, click, click and hearing giggling going on and all that kind of stuff.
    I think anything we do (or any attitudes we have) that distracts us or/and others from focusing on worship and teaching need to be examined...from the root. So, let's ask why we can't be respectful to others, and not get "distracted" by the lesser issue, of Twitter. Because if we have issues with listening, and being easily distracted, that will always be an issue, until we address it.

If I get a text in church (which wouldn't really happen in theory, because my phone is off in church, or it's on with the ringer/alerts off, so I can access YouVersion) and it's a friend in distress, then I have to think WWJD? and go with the higher "law", which would be to assist my friend in distress. I would remove myself from the sanctuary (to lessen the chance of being a distraction), and take the text/call and minister.

Now, if the person next to me thinks, "What a rude woman! Got the nerve to be texting in church!!!!", without knowing the nature of what's going on, then that person has stepped into the murky waters of presumption, and needs to find their way back to dry ground.

I have sat in many church services, and had to deal with crying babies, late arrivers and all other manner of "distractions". Yet, I still had to call on my ability to "block out and focus"...most of us do that all the time � to our spouses, other folks we don't really want to hear, etc. So, it can be done. I do what I need to do, to get what I need.

BTW, I agree with you. I'm just taking it to another place.
    05-04-09 12:45 PM
    I think anything we do (or any attitudes we have) that distracts us or/and others from focusing on worship and teaching need to be examined...from the root. So, let's ask why we can't be respectful to others, and not get "distracted" by the lesser issue, of Twitter. Because if we have issues with listening, and being easily distracted, that will always be an issue, until we address it.

If I get a text in church (which wouldn't really happen in theory, because my phone is off in church, or it's on with the ringer/alerts off, so I can access YouVersion) and it's a friend in distress, then I have to think WWJD? and go with the higher "law", which would be to assist my friend in distress. I would remove myself from the sanctuary (to lessen the chance of being a distraction), and take the text/call and minister.

Now, if the person next to me thinks, "What a rude woman! Got the nerve to be texting in church!!!!", without knowing the nature of what's going on, then that person has stepped into the murky waters of presumption, and needs to find their way back to dry ground.

I have sat in many church services, and had to deal with crying babies, late arrivers and all other manner of "distractions". Yet, I still had to call on my ability to "block out and focus"...most of us do that all the time � to our spouses, other folks we don't really want to hear, etc. So, it can be done. I do what I need to do, to get what I need.

BTW, I agree with you. I'm just taking it to another place.
    Again... well said.
    05-04-09 01:47 PM
    I don't know if you are lol. But as a youth pastor. I catch my youth doing it every once in awhile. I don't mind if they check to see if their parents are calling or to see if it is an emergency but to carry on conversations just doesn't sit well with me. I believe our Pastor works hard at his job and deserves the attention for us to listen. Its only a hour service and preaching itself maybe 30 min. So its not that long. I'm not a hard person or anything I just think it is disrespectful.
    Now, I can agree with you (as a youth pastor myself). Youth texting is a scourge!

I certainly understand your sentiments...
    05-04-09 01:49 PM
    I would have to disagree with twittering/txt or any other distraction in church. What if the person next to you is distracted enough to not feel the call for salvation? I would put a greater weight on the possibility of distracting a lost soul inside the church walls during the service because they are there because something may have told them they were not living right.

The twitters and texts can wait until after service.

I will stay out of the whole KJV vs NIV or others

I do think that churches should embrace technology and have blogs, facebook pages, twitter accounts etc because it is an avenue that allows you to reach way beyond your community to spread the Good News. But it should not be part of the worship service IMHO.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-04-09 01:52 PM
    I do think that churches should embrace technology and have blogs, facebook pages, twitter accounts etc because it is an avenue that allows you to reach way beyond your community to spread the Good News. But it should not be part of the worship service IMHO.
    I completely agree with your humble opinion as well as the rest of your post.
    05-04-09 01:56 PM
    Microphones, PA sytems and projectors all aid in bringing the message to those
    with limited sight or hearing. Or those simply in the back of a large room.

Radio and television is an aid for those who wish to be part of the service
    but for whatever reason can't attend. The sick, shut-in, elderly, incarcerated,etc...

PowerPoint - Never saw that in a service but would be appalled if I if I do.

Airplanes - No idea where you are going with that.

Those are not distractions as they require much less interaction from the
    user as tweeting 140 character banalities.

Yes I am an old school, stick in the mud when it comes to church.
    I would argue that I am older school and the point of that time on that day around the world is to bring people to God. To share what you feel about God and spread the gospel. Every social networking tool in history has been used to that end.

As to whether or not people are using the tool effectively is not any different than any other tool used. If you are not paying attention to the sermon and rituals, if your mind is wandering, then you aren't in a position to complain about how others spread their message. If you ARE paying attention then it is not your place to presume anyone else is NOT using their tool effectively. You do not have rule over any but your own in that situation... and no one else is your business. That is between them and God.
    05-04-09 02:18 PM
    I would have to disagree with twittering/txt or any other distraction in church. What if the person next to you is distracted enough to not feel the call for salvation? I would put a greater weight on the possibility of distracting a lost soul inside the church walls during the service because they are there because something may have told them they were not living right.

The twitters and texts can wait until after service.

I will stay out of the whole KJV vs NIV or others

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    And I will humbly point out that the same was said about music, displays and even physical Bibles. "Why do you need a Bible in church? Isn't the pastor/priest good enough? You're gonna distract people!"

I think if it works for the congregation (and I have been careful to point out that it doesn't and really shouldn't have to work for all), then it is fine. A person tweeting in church does not bother me.

I think the we need to look at the positives... think of the sick/homebound. Think of the avenues of discussion it opens. In youth ministry, text programming is almost a no-brainer when you think of it. We carry some serious hardware in terms of convergent devices. The NUMBER ONE reason I picked a Blackberry was for it to serve as a ministry device. As a youth pstor with limited resources, it became necessary to find something that could hold my scripture, music, movie clips and other tools on the go. I found I could run an entire sermon from my device.

Not that long ago, we had a youth that needed help. As most of his peers, he texted more than he spoke. Things got rougher, and the kid felt hemmed in. He texted that he wanted to end it all. Without getting into too much of the story, we were able to intervene.

I dare anyone to tell me that it wasn't worth it.

One life.

I wonder... would our Model have done this when He was on earth? Think about His sermons, and the Q&A sessions. Sounds like a bit of a stretch, right?

Or does it?
    05-04-09 02:20 PM
    And I will humbly point out that the same was said about music, displays and even physical Bibles. "Why do you need a Bible in church? Isn't the pastor/priest good enough? You're gonna distract people!"

I think if it works for the congregation (and I have been careful to point out that it doesn't and really shouldn't have to work for all), then it is fine. A person tweeting in church does not bother me.

Not that long ago, we had a youth that needed help. As most of his peers, he texted more than he spoke. Things got rougher, and the kid felt hemmed in. He texted that he wanted to end it all. Without getting into too much of the story, we were able to intervene.

I dare anyone to tell me that it wasn't worth it.

One life.

I wonder... would our Model have done this when He was on earth? Think about His sermons, and the Q&A sessions. Sounds like a bit of a stretch, right?

Or does it?
    PowerPoint presentations for parables...most definitely!
    05-04-09 02:32 PM
    I haven't read through this thread, but my parents are very active in their church and I take my boys there at least once a month.

Sometime back, I got on the church mailing list...

There is nothing more annoying than knowing every little detail about what worship group is meeting tomorrow night and what they will be talking about, eating and wearing! I'm not kidding...

If I had to get tweets from the Sunday School Teacher... that whole "Turn the other cheek, Paul" line...might not cut it when I snapped.
    05-04-09 02:36 PM

If I had to get tweets from the Sunday School Teacher... that whole "Turn the other cheek, Paul" line...might not cut it when I snapped.

Sorry... that made my day...
    05-04-09 02:39 PM

Sorry... that made my day...
    Dude you should PM your PIN. Not to many of us on here lol.
    05-04-09 03:24 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD