Hubby and I got into a discussion about this. He's of the opinion that twittering (and texting) in general is stupid, pointless, and a waste of time. Allowing it in the church is allowing the church to be more "of this world" and the church should not be. It should be of the narrow path.

My opinion is that it is being done to glorify the Lord and to aid in sharing his word and understanding. Yes, there is the potential to be abused. What's to say that Joe Churchgoer is paying attention to the Lord's word and not doing something else with his blackberry (such as surfing this site ) but you'll have people who misuse their time in church in any way they can. (Hangman or tic-tac-toe, anyone?)

I agree with some of the people in this article. I think it is another tool we can use to glorify the Lord and to help others understand His word.
    Very well said.

It's funny, because Time is late to the party. There are even books out there that discuss the phenomenon.

Jbeachy, love your point as well!

I have said it before: folks said the same thing when people started bringing physical bibles to church. The horror. People said the same things people are saying now.

Leveraging technology to to do God's work is a no-brainer to me. In fact, I have (and do) attended an online church when I am on the road sometimes, and we mostly tweet about the experience and message during service.

I have my bible on my BB. I am no better than any other spiritual person, bu I treasure the fact that I can access biblical content anywhere, anytime.

I have seen some folks use blank pages in a hymn book for personal entertainment? What is the solution? Stop the use hymn books?

Don't get me wrong: social networking is not for every church... not fo every person. But if one person gets to understand the message, it is worth it, regardless of what I think about it. Some of my very best friends (folks who have the same belief system as I do) were met on Twitter. For me, it is a great ministry tool.
    05-04-09 09:18 AM
    M.Vanderhoof : Deacon, I don't take my phone into any place of
    worship, whether it is of my faith or not.

Does technology have to creep into every facet of our lives.
    No, it doesn't. And anyone who justifies this and religion IMO
    completely misses the point of religion.
    So what about microphones? PA systems? Projectors? PowerPoint? Radio? TV? Airplanes?

Which technology promotes Gods message, and which distracts from it?

I'm not a church goer at all. So I really have no right to opinion on the subject. But all I can say is that this is another reason why I hate Twitter. This social networking thing is going to bring us to our knees one day.

The other day me and a couple of friends were out eating. And at one moment all three of us were not talking and instead had our heads down typing on our Blackberry's in a BBM chat which inlcuded us three and some other people. I looked up at them and said that this is what society is coming to. We're here sitting at the same damn table yet we're communicating through our phones. Forget that other people were in the
    BBM chat. I told them this is a sign of things to come and unfortunately we're helping fuel it by what we were doing.
    I agree wholeheartedly. I think, actually, it is the nature of people and not technology which fosters this. Other people are chaotic, and a pain in the **** to deal with. People are very enthralled with their own interpretation of situations. People "date" complete strangers online, building their own fantasies as to what is actually happening and "who" the person on the other end is. You can tell them, "that girl is lying... she can't possibly be a CPA at 21." and they will get mad at YOU for ruining their fantasy. It is much more fun than the truth.

Ever "misread" the "tone" of a message or conversation? It is because of the natural disconnect. For whatever reason... we WANT to be disconnected from those we are connected to. I do not believe this is an environmental influence... I believe it is 100% our nature. The digital age just gives us a vehicle.

05-04-09 09:22 AM
    Meh.

Of course I don't set foot in a church except for weddings, funerals and christenings so I suppose my opinion doesn't count, but still, meh. If the pastor okayed it, then he's the only opinion who matters...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I think your opinion does count.

While I am all for rocking the boat when necessary, I think the comfort of church should matter as a practical matter.

Some churches frown on drum kits during worship.

There does have to be some balance. The danger, IMHO, is allowing social networking to replace in-face experience.
    05-04-09 09:22 AM
    So what about microphones? PA systems? Projectors? PowerPoint? Radio? TV? Airplanes?

I agree wholeheartedly. I think, actually, it is the nature of people and not technology which fosters this. Other people are chaotic, and a pain in the **** to deal with. People are very enthralled with their own interpretation of situations. People "date" complete strangers online, building their own fantasies as to what is actually happening and "who" the person on the other end is. You can tell them, "that girl is lying... she can't possibly be a CPA at 21." and they will get mad at YOU for ruining their fantasy. It is much more fun than the truth.

Ever "misread" the "tone" of a message or conversation? It is because of the natural disconnect. For whatever reason... we WANT to be disconnected from those we are connected to. I do not believe this is an environmental influence... I believe it is 100% our nature. The digital age just gives us a vehicle.

Great questions. Food for thought.
    05-04-09 09:23 AM
    Thats a touchy one... as head deacon and council member i dont think its apprpriate to tweet/txt during service. I think we can afford to spend 1hr or so without this going on in our lives. We all sneak in a comment or write a quick note here and there but to have typing/clicking sounds or other sounds going off is distacting to the ones who WANT to listen to the Lord's work. I agree technology is good but I think we can agree that there is a time and place. Updates about functions and stuff great!!!(outside of service of course) Updates about how long the sermon is or how that "one" is dressed...nope. I have even looked at my BB a few times myself, but never responded to anything. I just dont think it should be, that is the "old school" part of me I guess
    Mr V,

Shouldn't our lives reflect our belief system 100%?

What I mean to say is: the default separation between our church lives and our real lives seems to be too deliberate.

I am not being critical, as I am respect your views... just adding some juice to the conversation.
    05-04-09 09:27 AM
    what is twittering actually? i've never really caught on to that trend
    05-04-09 09:41 AM
    what is twittering actually? i've never really caught on to that trend
    Glorification of status messages.

05-04-09 09:46 AM
    Twittering in church is not the issue: Distraction is the real problem, and that can't be "governed", and it's definitely not limited to social networking at the wrong time. What is most "sacred" is our relationship with the Lord, not our tradition of visiting a building every week, on Sunday and going thru motions.

Technology is what it is. It's up to you and I to make personal decisions to stay focused and worshipful, when we're in the assembly of believers. That can often be challenging, whether the source of our distraction is Twitter, or the general cares of the world. I know it is for me, sometimes.

It's my responsibility to make sure I don't take away from another's worship experience. So, if twittering has the potential to distract another, then I need to show deference, and twitter elsewhere and at another time. That's a sign of true worship towards God (by doing right by our "neighbor").

It's not up to me to judge a pastor's motives for allowing twittering. He has his own reasons, hopefully motivated by a desire for his congregation to grow and mature spiritually.
    05-04-09 09:47 AM

Microphones, PA sytems and projectors all aid in bringing the message to those
    with limited sight or hearing. Or those simply in the back of a large room.

Radio and television is an aid for those who wish to be part of the service
    but for whatever reason can't attend. The sick, shut-in, elderly, incarcerated,etc...

PowerPoint - Never saw that in a service but would be appalled if I if I do.

Airplanes - No idea where you are going with that.

Those are not distractions as they require much less interaction from the
    user as tweeting 140 character banalities.

Yes I am an old school, stick in the mud when it comes to church.
    05-04-09 10:16 AM
    Twittering in church is not the issue: Distraction is the real problem, and that can't be "governed", and it's definitely not limited to social networking at the wrong time. What is most "sacred" is our relationship with the Lord, not our tradition of visiting a building every week, on Sunday and going thru motions.

Technology is what it is. It's up to you and I to make personal decisions to stay focused and worshipful, when we're in the assembly of believers. That can often be challenging, whether the source of our distraction is Twitter, or the general cares of the world. I know it is for me, sometimes.

It's my responsibility to make sure I don't take away from another's worship experience. So, if twittering has the potential to distract another, then I need to show deference, and twitter elsewhere and at another time. That's a sign of true worship towards God (by doing right by our "neighbor").

It's not up to me to judge a pastor's motives for allowing twittering. He has his own reasons, hopefully motivated by a desire for his congregation to grow and mature spiritually.
    Well said. I agree with the core of your statement.

To add to the general discussion some more (you can tell I love this subject ) I do feel that social networking can really be leveraged. We, as the church, should be willing to expand our outlook and redefine what it is to be relational. If Twitter can be used to reach people in a way that glorifies God, we shouldn't be looking at it in horror, we should be fighting to jump on the the bandwagon.

I do freely state that not all congregations are ready for this wave of thinking, and that is perfectly fine and appropriate. If there is one think I don't like, it is churches doing stuff to be trendy, when said act does not help the congregation or community at large. But if a church leader figures to reach people using technology used to build and develop relationships, I am all for that.

As long as God is being glorified. Bottom line.
    05-04-09 10:33 AM
    Yes I am an old school, stick in the mud when it comes to church.
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with that either...
    05-04-09 10:37 AM
    One of those churches mentioned in the article is right here in Charlotte. From their website: "Yeah, twitter is great and all, but what are you doing to serve your community?"

That tells me, for better or worse, that they have the right idea.

It is easy to criticize stuff that is outside of our comfort zone. Heck, it is almost a fundamental part of Christianity...
    05-04-09 10:41 AM
    Well said. I agree with the core of your statement.

To add to the general discussion some more (you can tell I love this subject ) I do feel that social networking can really be leveraged. We, as the church, should be willing to expand our outlook and redefine what it is to be relational. If Twitter can be used to reach people in a way that glorifies God, we shouldn't be looking at it in horror, we should be fighting to jump on the the bandwagon.

I do freely state that not all congregations are ready for this wave of thinking, and that is perfectly fine and appropriate. If there is one think I don't like, it is churches doing stuff to be trendy, when said act does not help the congregation or community at large. But if a church leader figures to reach people using technology used to build and develop relationships, I am all for that.

As long as God is being glorified. Bottom line
    That is the bottom line. That's just like folks who wanna argue about the evils of all non-KJV translations of the sacred text. I'm like, "Do what it says do, whether you're reading the KJV, NIV...., and you'll be fine!".

If I can "minister" to you, via a twitter post (that has happened to folks), then God gets the glory and you get to see your situation from God's eyes, which results in a deeper appreciation of The Christ, and a deeper resolve to press on and get thru whatever has you down and out. That's the point of it all, and if we miss that (by getting caught up in our own thinking of how things "should" be done), we miss it all.

My church has always taken the fullest advantage of technology...it's a gift from God, and while it has the potential to be abused/misused, like every gift from God, the problem is with us, not with technology.
    05-04-09 10:46 AM
    By the bye, I am very happy with all participating in this thread.
    Anything religious is usually a recipe for disaster but this is one
    really good discussion.

Although we don't all agree, where we have disagreed, it has been
    with respect and civility. You guys (including that heathen P.O.E ) rock
    05-04-09 10:46 AM

I think, actually, it is the nature of people and not technology which fosters this. Other people are chaotic, and a pain in the **** to deal with. People are very enthralled with their own interpretation of situations. People "date" complete strangers online, building their own fantasies as to what is actually happening and "who" the person on the other end is. You can tell them, "that girl is lying... she can't possibly be a CPA at 21." and they will get mad at YOU for ruining their fantasy. It is much more fun than the truth.

That was brilliant (all of it, but especially the bold parts)! Technology can be used as a vehicle to "transport" our dysfunction.
    Last edited by Tlynnsmith; 05-04-09 at 11:22 AM.
    05-04-09 11:02 AM
    Nothing sacred about church. Hasn't been for a long long long time...

05-04-09 11:34 AM
    My church is on twitter and facebook. My pastor tweets about 10 times a day. The churh is Northway Church in clifton park.
    05-04-09 11:39 AM
    You need something to do in church
    Yes it's called listening. I personally find it very disrespectful people who are on their phones texting and all that while someone is preaching during church.
    05-04-09 11:48 AM
    Yes it's called listening. I personally find it very disrespectful people who are on their phones texting and all that while someone is preaching during church.
    I use my phone all the time during church. How do you know I am texting?
    05-04-09 11:56 AM
    True, but is texting and surfing on one's phone any less direspectful than knitting, skimming through the hymnal, reading the church bulletin, or looking out the window? (not trying to start a fight, just an example)

When it comes to religion and church, to each his own. If you want to worship via HOUSEOFGOD.COM, or show up and kneel down at the altar, I'm not picky. What ever gets you through the day, and closer to whatever it is that you believe in, as long as it doesn't keep others from doing so, I say go for it.
    05-04-09 12:01 PM
    that being said...I hate this social networking thing. All facebook, twitter and the like do is make people think the details of their boring little lives are interesting to others.

Plus...if you want to know what your friends are doing, call them. Or here's a crazy thought...get together.
    05-04-09 12:03 PM
    I use my phone all the time during church. How do you know I am texting?
    I don't know if you are lol. But as a youth pastor. I catch my youth doing it every once in awhile. I don't mind if they check to see if their parents are calling or to see if it is an emergency but to carry on conversations just doesn't sit well with me. I believe our Pastor works hard at his job and deserves the attention for us to listen. Its only a hour service and preaching itself maybe 30 min. So its not that long. I'm not a hard person or anything I just think it is disrespectful.
    05-04-09 12:05 PM
    True, but is texting and surfing on one's phone any less direspectful than knitting, skimming through the hymnal, reading the church bulletin, or looking out the window? (not trying to start a fight, just an example)

When it comes to religion and church, to each his own. If you want to worship via HOUSEOFGOD.COM, or show up and kneel down at the altar, I'm not picky. What ever gets you through the day, and closer to whatever it is that you believe in, as long as it doesn't keep others from doing so, I say go for it.
    No those are actually good points, but I don't think those are as near as distracting as hearing "click. click, click, click and hearing giggling going on and all that kind of stuff.
    05-04-09 12:08 PM
    Although we don't all agree, where we have disagreed, it has been
    with respect and civility. You guys (including that heathen P.O.E ) rock
    AG that made me laugh out loud brotha.

I agree that I thought this thread might get out of hand as well. Well since the religion subject is part of it. But I guess it's too early to tell.
    05-04-09 12:11 PM
    Ya know, i am not the holiest (sp?) person in the world, i do not go to church-this can be viewed 2 ways:

1) the church is gettin to modern times and making it more interesting for the younger crowd making it "cool" to go to mass. But, then theres the elders, that have been faithful to the church for years upon years......this will be unheard of to them!!!

2) When i was younger and did go to church, because i had to, you were to be quite in church and respond when the Priest prompted.

Well, i was just at my bro-in-laws wedding on this past Sat.(5/2).......i wonder how he and his new wife wouldve reacted if i was "twittering" during their ceremony........their very special moment.........hmmmmmm..............i'd say it wouldve p!ss'd them off to no end havin my bb go off!!!

So do i agree, no, not really at all. Just like i despise hearing someones cell go off when im in the movie theater!!!

(btw-i dont twitter-no interest in broadcasting my personal life 24/7-if i wanna share, i'll do it here with my cb people!)
    05-04-09 12:19 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD