so if you want to ruin a blackberry owner's day you just sit there when he's not looking and type a wrong password in 11 times?

That's damn silly. The whole 10-and-wipe "feature" should be disable-able.
    You can "disable" this feature by turning off password protection all together. Yes, someone can enter an incorrect pw 11x as a joke or to tick you off but as long as you've done a back up, its just a mere inconvenience.

BB takes security seriously which is why they limit it to 10, less guesses for someone who is truly trying to gain access to your information.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-24-09 05:31 PM
    umm if you type the password wrong on attempt 10 it does now wipe your phone. you have to type in BLACKBERRY or somethign like that before it wipes. thats to prevent accidential password attempts from your pocket or something.
    Yes, it does. After 8 attempts it forces you to type "blackberry" as a sanity check I believe. But type that and get the next two wrong, the device is wiped.

That thing actually saved me when I was so hammered I couldn't type my password to save my life. I couldn't actually spell "blackberry" so I gave up.
    10-24-09 05:58 PM
    so if you want to ruin a blackberry owner's day you just sit there when he's not looking and type a wrong password in 11 times?

That's damn silly. The whole 10-and-wipe "feature" should be disable-able.
    It's an excellent safety feature if you have important info you don't want in the wrong hands. It's not that hard to keep other people from fooling with your phone. You don't let others play around with your bank card or wallet. You don't have to password protect.
    Last edited by keepit dry; 10-24-09 at 07:19 PM.
    10-24-09 07:17 PM
    It's an excellent safety feature
    I think our definitions of "excellent" differ. An "excellent" safety feature might be that after ONE attempt it wipes your phone and emits a screech that would disable anyone with 6 feet of the phone. However, for others that might not be so "excellent."

To me, the downsides of my stuff being wiped is far, far greater than the upsides. If someone can't guess my password in 10 tries, they're not going to be able to guess it in 100 tries. But I can see some drunk jerkoff picking it up off the table while I look away and hit the enter key 10 times and erase all my stuff.

Unless you work for the FBI or are cheating on your wife, I don't see how the upsides * the % risk of being breached > the downsides * the % risk of some jerkoff accidentally erasing your stuff.
    10-24-09 07:37 PM
    Make sure that you are using the right keys. I did this once. Lucky that I backed everything up the day before. For example. If your password is supposed to be numbers but its really letters like 3 is really a r , 2 is a e etc ... I finaly figured it out while I was entering the password on a computer. Haha

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-24-09 08:26 PM
    i saw a post on here ( old one i believe ) where you can change it from 10 to whatever number you want but you have to use DM and find that file to change it dig around here incase you cant remember your pass, before doing last attempt worth a shot?
    You can change the number of password attempts on the phone itself. You go to security -general settings and you can set the number of attempts from there.
    10-24-09 10:22 PM
    my tour it's Options > Password.. but 10 is the max. 3 is the minimum.
    10-24-09 10:24 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD