I have been reading lots of the threads here lately and I see that many are now really excited for the BlackBerry passport especially after BlackBerry released that blog post explaining it's purpose for the unique design. I'm not here to question their decisions. Also I know many are also excited for the classic. Mainly because of its "retro" feel and design.

But what about the Q10? I loved buying the Q10 when I got it. It seemed that BlackBerry finally got it right : touchscreen with modern OS and a full qwerty with all the upgrade in specs. I was deeply satisfied to the point of telling all my iphone/android friends that this was the best phone I ever used.

Fast forward to now. I am kind of saddened that BlackBerry is not making a full qwerty successor to the Q10. The classic is not it and the passport is a whole different direction for a qwerty device.

So I ask you. Do you think this may be the last full qwerty phone in this portrait style configuration? Is the Passport with its 3 rows of keys and trackpad keyboard the only future? If so I just feel I should just switch to a full touchscreen like the Z30 or iphone 6.

Any comments welcome

Posted via CB10
    07-23-14 04:44 PM
    Why is the Classic not a successor to the Q10? I'm confused...
    07-23-14 04:53 PM
    Why is the Classic not a successor to the Q10? I'm confused...
    Because I think adding the toolbelt is a nod to the past. I don't know if it was really needed for people who got accustomed to the Q10. I mean it feels like two steps back instead of forward?

Posted via CB10
    Supa_Fly1 and PantherBlitz like this.
    07-23-14 05:04 PM
    i agree with thunder and i think the Classic is the upgrade path for q10 users BUT we have to see what comes out in 2015.
    KDB84 and Frehley like this.
    07-23-14 05:08 PM
    Yesterday's newspaper

HTC TOUCH, Nokia-N97, BlackBerry Torch 9800, Z10
    07-23-14 05:09 PM
    i agree with thunder and i think the Classic is the upgrade path for q10 users BUT we have to see what comes out in 2015.
    Maybe 3 lines: Full touch (Z serie), keyboard+tool-belt (legacy style), Passport Line (mix of Z+Q).
    But the market will give its verdict soon, first to see if Blackberry will keep making phones (10M sale target), then if they continue which line has a market (they'd probably prefer to concentrate on 2 lines...)
    07-23-14 05:12 PM
    To answer your title question, IMHO the Q10 was the mistake.

However, the Classic, is the correction.

C001C21C1 Thoughts on the fly
    07-23-14 05:16 PM
    To answer your title question, IMHO the Q10 was the mistake.

However, the Classic, is the correction.

Interesting take on it. Then what will be the second or 3rd version of the classic? Ha

Posted via CB10
    robhenry24 likes this.
    07-23-14 05:33 PM
    Maybe 3 lines: Full touch (Z serie), keyboard+tool-belt (legacy style), Passport Line (mix of Z+Q).
    But the market will give its verdict soon, first to see if Blackberry will keep making phones (10M sale target), then if they continue which line has a market (they'd probably prefer to concentrate on 2 lines...)
    I have never been more confused on what my next device should be. I'm even liking the HTC one(M8) or whatever. Lots of good stuff out there.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-14 05:34 PM
    Interesting take on it. Then what will be the second or 3rd version of the classic? Ha

Posted via CB10
    Interesting question.

I think this is BlackBerrys future

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/08/t...on-with-video/

Think of the possibilities of a full touchscreen device built based on thus technology

currentodysseys and Supa_Fly1 like this.
    07-23-14 05:49 PM
    Q10 is the present.
    Evilguppy likes this.
    07-23-14 05:50 PM
    Because I think adding the toolbelt is a nod to the past. I don't know if it was really needed for people who got accustomed to the Q10. I mean it feels like two steps back instead of forward?

Posted via CB10
    You don't like the toolbelt just because... it looks old-fashioned?

The Q20/Classic will be more powerful, with a larger screen. I understand that you can quibble and say it could have been more compact without the toolbelt, but many customers really, REALLY wanted it back.

Considering that the keyboard customers tend to be the traditionalists, maybe that's what BlackBerry had to do to keep them happy.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    07-23-14 05:58 PM
    You don't like the toolbelt just because... it looks old-fashioned?

The Q20/Classic will be more powerful, with a larger screen. I understand that you can quibble and say it could have been more compact without the toolbelt, but many customers really, REALLY wanted it back.

Considering that the keyboard customers tend to be the traditionalists, maybe that's what BlackBerry had to do to keep them happy.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    Is it true that the Classic will have better specs than the Q10? Or just a bigger screen?

Posted via CB10
    07-23-14 06:27 PM
    I know it's a minority point of view, but I'm with OP on this. A 3.5" Q20 or whatever would be my dream device. To me, the tool belt is just a waste of space now and makes the Classic unnecessarily bulkier.
    07-23-14 06:57 PM
    I think the classic is the new Q10. I miss my toolbelt type thingy. It will be much easier to copy and paste which is my only negative feature on my Q10. I say bring it on. When I had my 9780, I ordered the 9900 sight unseen. Same with Q10 and will do the exact thing for the classic. I will definitely need to try the passport before considering it. Not because it's ugly, I mean different, but because of the keyboard.

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.296
    Mr.Willie likes this.
    07-23-14 07:07 PM
    I'm with the OP on this... there should be an actual Q10 successor for the people who have enjoyed their Q10 thus far. If you want a Q10 like phone but don't find the tool belt useful then why should you be left with the Classic as your only choice. Just like the people I've seen posting about a Z10 successor, they want a high end all touch phone but they don't want a phone as large as the Z30.
    PantherBlitz and Kevin Currey like this.
    07-23-14 07:23 PM
    We want the Q11!

Germany. 2014 FIFA World Cup Champs!
    Naeg1995 likes this.
    07-23-14 07:27 PM
    Don't know the answer. Just want my 9810 Slider upgraded to BB10 with a bigger screen. "Is that to much to ask for?"
    07-23-14 07:36 PM
    Doesn't Passport have QWERTY? Just curious, how many people are out there to justify a "tailor made" Q10 successor?
    07-23-14 09:23 PM
    Q10 missformed child with unstable battery and double typing

Posted via CB10
    Witmen likes this.
    07-23-14 09:57 PM
    Q10 missformed child with unstable battery and double typing

Posted via CB10
    I am really excited for the classic and plan to pick one up, but the Q10 double typing issue has me worried. Hopefully they have that straightened out for the new devices. But because of the Q10, I won't be rushing out to get a classic right after launch. I'll give it a few months and see if any early adapters report having the problem or not first.
    07-23-14 10:53 PM
    I have a few thoughts:

The Classic is sort of an "emergency" device. People weren't willing to switch to the very different Q10, so the classic needed to happen asap. Probably one of the first things Chen did as far as hardware goes I'd imagine.

Also, the 10.3 OS will be tweaked to maximize functionality with the toolbelt. Yes, it will be a nod to the past (thus the name) but it won't be by any means a vintage device.

If the Passport and Classic are enough to keep BlackBerry in the hardware business (which they likely will) then I wouldn't be worried about a true Q10 successor. That being said, your next phone be that "Q10 II", but the Classic should bring everything the Q10 does and more.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-14 11:08 PM
    I am really excited for the classic and plan to pick one up, but the Q10 double typing issue has me worried. Hopefully they have that straightened out for the new devices. But because of the Q10, I won't be rushing out to get a classic right after launch. I'll give it a few months and see if any early adapters report having the problem or not first.
    The double typing issue now affects me daily. Andd (see?) and I'm only 4 months away from upgrade so I don't want to spend time on repairs or replacements.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-14 11:11 PM
    I'm with the OP on this... there should be an actual Q10 successor for the people who have enjoyed their Q10 thus far.
    Hahaha the Q10 was a complete failure why would blackberry want a follow-up failure? Think it through people!

Just because you like it isn't enough. The MARKET has spoken!!!!

Posted via CB10
    07-23-14 11:20 PM
    I think it depends a lot on future sales figures. If the classic is considerably more successful than the Q10, I think this will be the line to go for full QWERTY.

If BlackBerry wants to be successful, they shouldn't run too many lines of production.
    A passport, a full QWERTY and a full touch, that shall be it. People have become lazy too - they can't handle choices.
    07-23-14 11:34 PM
129 123 ...