Anyone know if there is a filing for square phone? I'm referring to the passport! You never know how this takes off and it is going to hit the sky is your limits then other manufacturers will produce something similar.
    IMHO.. the passport will create a new era in our phone design and for bold people take full advantage of it

#BBFactCheck
    07-23-14 09:42 AM
    Subject should be changed to 'Is the Passport form factor / shape patented?"

I thought this topic was about some new BlackBerry patent filing.

No, the Passport form factor is not patentable, although there may be some innovations re: the touch-sensitive keyboard, but not generally. Besides, it's the BlackBerry device keyboard that makes PKB devices more than bearable: a competitor slapping a non-BB keyboard on their look-alike device won't be anything like "the same" as the Passport.
    ayekon and ikalinin like this.
    07-23-14 09:54 AM
    The keyboard has, in fact, been patented.
    thekidshop and anon(8908445) like this.
    07-23-14 10:06 AM
    The keyboard has, in fact, been patented.
    If you have a link to the patent, I'd be interested to read it... the keyboard behaves in some ways like that of the PS3 controller keyboard add-on.... I wonder if the keyboard on the PS3 controller is licensed from BlackBerry?
    07-23-14 10:25 AM
    http://ip.thomsonreuters.com/sites/d...nnovation.pdf?

Go to google link above for your interest

#BBFactCheck
    07-23-14 10:39 AM
    Anyone know if there is a filing for square phone? I'm referring to the passport! You never know how this takes off and it is going to hit the sky is your limits then other manufacturers will produce something similar.
    IMHO.. the passport will create a new era in our phone design and for bold people take full advantage of it

#BBFactCheck
    LG already made a square phone that looks very similar to the Passport. The LG Vue and LG Intuition. Look it up, the thing looks just like a full touch BlackBerry Passport. Even the corners are sharp and the edges are flat. Someone at BlackBerry must have liked the Intuition, but not many consumers did. For its time, the LG square phone launched with good hardware and software, but it still flopped very badly. The Intuition exists because LG tried to make a Galaxy Note competitor that was unique and was on Verizon, so they went with a square instead of the usual rectangle. The result was a huge failure. Most reviewers loved everything about the device except for the form factor. Hopefully people still buy phones for physical keyboards and that will help the Passport.
    07-23-14 10:52 AM
    Is the Passport form factor / shape patented?-_20140723_115932.jpg

I just noticed that it looks like BlackBerry even copied the locations of the power button and volume rocker. That's pretty strange. Don't all current BB10 devices have the power button in the middle of the top? So why the change to off centered?
    anon(4044683) likes this.
    07-23-14 11:03 AM
    This question makes no sense. Patent for a square phone? First of all, its a rectangular phone, not square. And the 1:1 screen isn't something new either. However like someone else mentioned, the keyboard is probably patented.
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-23-14 11:05 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_20140723_115932.JPG 
Views:	3195 
Size:	237.9 KB 
ID:	286601

I just noticed that it looks like BlackBerry even copied the locations of the power button and volume rocker. That's pretty strange. Don't all current BB10 devices have the power button in the middle of the top? So why the change to off centered?
    Maybe the LG was such a huge flop that there were tons of parts left over and BB bought them for cheap :P

Posted via CB10
    Witmen, vrud and anon(8908445) like this.
    07-23-14 11:07 AM
    I don't think there is a patent for the form factor, but there are two big barriers to entry.

1) Keyboard. BlackBerry I believe patented the touch sensitive keyboard design and technology. It would be stupid if they haven't.

2) OS. Without support in the OS, all this keyboard gesture talk is useless. BB10 support the gesture out of the box and part of its overall design. Even if Samsung/Apple want to do this, they would have to update their OS for proper keyboard support. With the Q10, there are a least "some" apps which support keyboard input with a 1:1 ratio screen.
    07-23-14 11:23 AM
    Why is everybody talking about the 1:1 screen. Its brutal!! Many apps will have nasty black borders as will any videos too.

That's exactly what I want.. To have a phone with a big screen that most apps do not utilize lol.
    This is the single reason I will never buy a passport, otherwise I'd be all over that
    07-23-14 12:36 PM
    I would like BlackBerry to patent picture password.
    07-23-14 12:43 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_20140723_115932.JPG 
Views:	3195 
Size:	237.9 KB 
ID:	286601

This Android device comparison to the Passport only reinforces how Android devices are incomplete products without any real purpose except being experimental..

BlackBerry Passport completes that design making it useful and practical..
    acovey likes this.
    07-23-14 12:49 PM
    This Android device comparison to the Passport only reinforces how Android devices are incomplete products without any real purpose except being experimental..

LOL. we'll see.

Germany. 2014 FIFA World Cup Champs!
    07-23-14 12:50 PM
    Who doesn't like a wide screen

#BBFactCheck
    07-23-14 12:52 PM

As someone who had an Intuition, I personally didn't find anything practical about that form factor at all. Adding a qwerty to an Intuition wouldn't have changed the fact that the phone is so wide that it is physically impossible to use properly one handed, has trouble fiting into pockets and destroys them if you do manage to get it into one. Not to mention the aspect ratio is horrible for anything that isn't web browsing, and reading/entering text. The Passport will be like a Q10 for videos except with 30% more black bar goodness. The form factor simply isn't practical for what most people do with their smart phones these days. That is why most companies don't bother with trying to make squarish smart phones.

Hopefully things work out for BlackBerry better than they did for LG, but I wouldn't bet on it. We will find out soon enough though.
    07-23-14 01:08 PM
    Who doesn't like a wide screen

#BBFactCheck
    Wide screens are awesome when they are wide and short. Not so much when they are as tall as they are wide.
    07-23-14 01:10 PM
    Don't you think this passport is targeting a different clients and not like the LG? And i don't know how you can compare the LG intuition with the passport? Is it similar yes and is it identical No! The screen size is totally different and how could you compare?

#BBFactCheck
    07-23-14 01:55 PM
    Don't you think this passport is targeting a different clients and not like the LG? And i don't know how you can compare the LG intuition with the passport? Is it similar yes and is it identical No! The screen size is totally different and how could you compare?

#BBFactCheck
    Eh, yeah, of course the screen sizes are different, one is a full touch while the other has a physical qwerty. So no they aren't identical, which I never said they were. However, they are so similar that I think BlackBerry took inspiration from LG.
    07-23-14 02:22 PM
    Okay now that Is a little clear. Well i don't think we really know what they come up with the weird looking phone. And again how much can one designed the same thing over and over?
    Do you know if their is a round phone? Round like a ball, perhaps like a baseball size or bigger a bit. And if there isn't a rounded phone then do you think one of the phone manufacture come up with one then will it sell?

#BBFactCheck
    07-23-14 02:36 PM
    Subject should be changed to 'Is the Passport form factor / shape patented?"

I thought this topic was about some new BlackBerry patent filing.

No, the Passport form factor is not patentable, although there may be some innovations re: the touch-sensitive keyboard, but not generally. Besides, it's the BlackBerry device keyboard that makes PKB devices more than bearable: a competitor slapping a non-BB keyboard on their look-alike device won't be anything like "the same" as the Passport.
    I totally got trolled into the topic also...
    07-23-14 02:43 PM
    As someone who had an Intuition, I personally didn't find anything practical about that form factor at all. Adding a qwerty to an Intuition wouldn't have changed the fact that the phone is so wide that it is physically impossible to use properly one handed, has trouble fiting into pockets and destroys them if you do manage to get it into one. Not to mention the aspect ratio is horrible for anything that isn't web browsing, and reading/entering text. The Passport will be like a Q10 for videos except with 30% more black bar goodness. The form factor simply isn't practical for what most people do with their smart phones these days. That is why most companies don't bother with trying to make squarish smart phones.

Hopefully things work out for BlackBerry better than they did for LG, but I wouldn't bet on it. We will find out soon enough though.
    One big difference. The resolution of the screen allows a z30 screen fit within it in landscape. I don't think the LG can do that.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-14 03:28 PM
    One big difference. The resolution of the screen allows a z30 screen fit within it in landscape. I don't think the LG can do that.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're talking about, but the LG Intuition does indeed work in landscape mode. Even the homescreen would auto-rotate into landscape if you enabled it. Also, the LG Intuition has a app that lets you change the size of other apps so you actually can make anything you want fit on the screen in either orientation. It basically gave you the option of either dealing with the black bars in apps or dealing with slightly blurry apps from stretching everything out. Neither option was ideal.
    07-23-14 03:38 PM
    We have not seen how it turns out if there is any black bar. Please keep it as an opinion only and do not make a statement.

I'm referring to the square screen as per my original post about patent. Should BlackBerry patent it or not that is all.

#BBFactCheck
    07-23-14 03:48 PM
    Why is everybody talking about the 1:1 screen. Its brutal!! Many apps will have nasty black borders as will any videos too.

That's exactly what I want.. To have a phone with a big screen that most apps do not utilize lol.
    This is the single reason I will never buy a passport, otherwise I'd be all over that
    I agree completely. Nobody on these forums or from BlackBerry have given any sort of solid reasoning for this stupid ratio. I was expecting JC to let us know in his interview, but all he says is that he THINKS people have become bored with the rectangular phone concept. I have alot of respect for the guy, but thats one of the dumbest explanations ive heard from him. There is utility in the rectangle shape. Why are no HD tv's square? Havent people got sick of rectangle monitors/tablets? How about circular steering wheels, theyve been around for decades, people havent got sick of those yet?

Someone said its 1:1 so you can always have it upright, never need to rotate, but from the leaked videos it shows that the phone does indeed rotate. Others claim that the phones width is the key to the magic... well you could keep that width and make it 4:3. The huge width along with short height is what makes this device so awkwardly hideous. So what else can it be?? There has to be some better logic behind it.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-14 04:01 PM
56 123