How bad is the passport camera? I have a z10 and I can take an acceptable picture. VERY ACCEPTABLE. Not Nokia or iPhone acceptable but wtvr

Posted via CB10
    It's not that bad and it's not that great. People make it a bigger deal than it is. I use my camera daily when on job sites.
    You want professional grade photography go buy a dslr camera. I for one didn't buy the passport for its camera but it's more than capable.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 09:19 AM
    With smartphone with 13 megapixels camera doesn't mean it produce results same as a 13 megapixels dlsr camera. That's why there are some phones stick with atleast 8mp even the other specs gets upgraded. You can't compare a 13mp smartphone camera with 13mp dlsr camera. If you want better picture, you need a good light source. A 5mp point and shoot camera can get a good result with proper lightning and setup. Same applies to all.

PasaportePilipinasSQW100-1/10.3.1.1154
    I think your way off base here. The topic is not about why a 13 mega pixel camera is not amazing or like other cellphones out there or even wanting the phone to the best camera. The issue at hand is that the focusing on the camera to the quality is so bad that people won't even attempt to use the camera on the BlackBerry Passport. Nokia is not locked down by Microsoft and as you can see they are able to venture off and do new creations e.g their new tablet to their new launcher for android in the Google playstore. They are free to help improve things for anyone they choose just no putting the Nokia name on any phone for 15 years.

Classic Passport
    12-26-14 09:27 AM
    It's not that bad and it's not that great. People make it a bigger deal than it is. I use my camera daily when on job sites.
    You want professional grade photography go buy a dslr camera. I for one didn't buy the passport for its camera but it's more than capable.

Posted via CB10
    If you read into the article instead of a quick glance I noted I don't want an amazing camera in my phone and yes if I want top notch photos I would use a real camera. But if you looked at one of the examples given I put a photo up with this terrible camera, it's not acceptable. I want and I'm sure others want to "just take a decent picture on the fly" if needed. If you really think the focusing and picture quality is good, you really are in denial.

Classic Passport
    aminrajabi likes this.
    12-26-14 09:31 AM
    It is locked down, the hardware division went to Microsoft which includes the guys who did the Pureview camera tech so it would need to be a Microsoft - BlackBerry deal and that is very unlikely due to Windows Phone needing every advantage it needs over it competition.
    12-26-14 09:47 AM
    As stated above, the imaging division was sent along to MS in the recent transaction. All that Nokia has left is its name, mapping division, their networking division, and a research division (they did the custom Android launcher mentioned above). Nokia can once again make cell phones with their name on 31 December 2015. This article has a pretty good rundown of the particulars of the MS/Nokia deal.

Nokia publishes more details on proposed Microsoft transaction

I don't think an improved camera experience requires an official partnership. Apple already hired somebody important from the Nokia imaging division. Nothing is stopping Blackberry from doing the same.
    12-26-14 10:00 AM
    As stated above, the imaging division was sent along to MS in the recent transaction. All that Nokia has left is its name, mapping division, their networking division, and a research division (they did the custom Android launcher mentioned above). Nokia can once again make cell phones with their name on 31 December 2015. This article has a pretty good rundown of the particulars of the MS/Nokia deal.

Nokia publishes more details on proposed Microsoft transaction

I don't think an improved camera experience requires an official partnership. Apple already hired somebody important from the Nokia imaging division. Nothing is stopping Blackberry from doing the same.
    Thank you for your input and link.

Classic Passport
    12-26-14 10:18 AM
    It wouldn't need to be an official partnership but I think BlackBerry would have bigger fish to fry with Microsoft for example the full out Office suite is higher on the list of Professional or "Prosumer" needs than the Pureview camera tech.
    12-26-14 10:29 AM
    If you read into the article instead of a quick glance I noted I don't want an amazing camera in my phone and yes if I want top notch photos I would use a real camera. But if you looked at one of the examples given I put a photo up with this terrible camera, it's not acceptable. I want and I'm sure others want to "just take a decent picture on the fly" if needed. If you really think the focusing and picture quality is good, you really are in denial.

Classic Passport
    Thanks for psychologically assessing me as in denial Dr.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-14 10:42 AM
    Wow is it that bad with the passport? Man they really have to work on the software. Didn't Chen said there's a BlackBerry coming out that good for Selfies? I'm hoping that's the visa, but I'm sure they will send a patch to fix that soon.
    I do love Nokia they where my favorite prior to BlackBerry.
    Good suggestions but like stated prior they don't own the lens etc so partnership wouldn't do much plus giving the rivalry with windows for 3Rd place don't see that happening.

My z10 n 30 takes good pictures so it's shocking to hear that the passport is so lackluster.

Send from the amazing powers of the  Z30
    The Nokia partnership would definitely be interesting. I agree with the point about their expertise on the mobile camera side. We could definitely use it on the Passport. I have two little ones and I've gradually just stopped taking pictures with the Passport and asked my wife to use her Z30.

I've owned the Z10, Z30 and now the Passport. The Z30 had the best overall camera experience in my opinion. Passport the worst.

Hearing that some of the issues are fixed in 10.3.1 so I'm hopeful.

Everything else about this phone is perfect. Hopefully the camera gets there soon.

Oh just want to add that the OP's suggestion about the space bar activating the cursor is an excellent one. The current implementation has issues. Mainly the one noted in the OP.

Posted via CB10
    My Z30 is just as bad with the latest leak. It was better on previous OS. Makes me believe software can help.
    12-26-14 10:53 AM
    "It wouldn't need to be an official partnership but I think BlackBerry would have bigger fish to fry with Microsoft for example the full out Office suite is higher on the list of Professional or "Prosumer" needs than the Pureview camera tech."

MS has been porting their stuff to many different platforms lately. Some would argue that this is being done to the detriment of the Windows Phone platform. I don't know if MS will write native apps for BB, but I wonder how hard it would be to get official MS Android apps in the Amazon store.
    Last edited by pfe1223; 12-26-14 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Fixed for clarity
    12-26-14 03:42 PM
    Yeah they have been on a roll bringing their apps to other platforms which now enables me to happily switch between my Lumia 930 and my Cosmos Z2 but I just don't see MS bringing their apps to BB10 (in a way that isn't just an android app that's just been chucked at BBW). They just started rolling out their services to iOS and Android in a competitive way because of their change of direction to become more of a services company and they need to beat Google at it's own game such as Google Drive for good long term prospects in this arena and I don't see how supporting BB10 will help MS fight off Google where its main focus needs to be beefing up it's current offerings on the platforms it already supports
    12-26-14 05:06 PM
    Yeah they have been on a roll bringing their apps to other platforms which now enables me to happily switch between my Lumia 930 and my Cosmos Z2 but I just don't see MS bringing their apps to BB10 (in a way that isn't just an android app that's just been chucked at BBW). They just started rolling out their services to iOS and Android in a competitive way because of their change of direction to become more of a services company and they need to beat Google at it's own game such as Google Drive for good long term prospects in this arena and I don't see how supporting BB10 will help MS fight off Google where its main focus needs to be beefing up it's current offerings on the platforms it already supports
    I'll have a heart attack if BlackBerry ever got MS to make office for them natively.

Classic Passport
    12-27-14 07:01 AM
    It's very well known that 10.3 has camera issues. The next OS as I said will resolve them. BlackBerry doesn't need Nokia, it needs to stop releasing phones with half baked OS.
    12-27-14 07:12 AM
    Question, how does BES play into MS's services play? Would there be any conflict in this? Does BES do a bunch of the syncing and backing up of data that Azure does? I am not too familiar with the specifics of BES.
    Last edited by pfe1223; 12-27-14 at 08:10 AM. Reason: B/c I have big fat fingers
    12-27-14 08:06 AM
    It's very well known that 10.3 has camera issues. The next OS as I said will resolve them. BlackBerry doesn't need Nokia, it needs to stop releasing phones with half baked OS.
    Are you talking about 10.3.1? Because if you are I have tried a couple of the leaks and I have spoken with a lot of other people and it did not fix the camera issues. Granted I am going off a leak which is not official by any means and any bugs found that's expected because it's not official and wanting any other outcome is ludicrous. But this is where my doubt on an update for the camera sits, all the features that 10.3.1 are supposed to have are actually all there in the leaks, but nothing touched in the camera department. But hey I could be wrong and they could just do it last minute in the next two weeks since it's supposedly ready to released. Not holding my breath.

Classic Passport
    12-27-14 08:15 AM
    ...I don't see how supporting BB10 will help MS fight off Google where its main focus needs to be beefing up it's current offerings on the platforms it already supports
    The major difference between Google and Microsoft services is price. The education and consumer markets are very price sensitive. I wouldn't say that Microsoft is charging an excessive amount of money, but free typically wins out. Corporations aren't accustomed to getting things for free. Even Google charges money in this market. So Microsoft can differentiate by offering services to a broader audience. It also seems to reason that those companies who remain loyal to Blackberry would also use the Microsoft suite of software. But, what you say makes sense; extending to Blackberry probably doesn't rank all that high on their list of things to do. I hope this changes as Chen continues to turn around Blackberry.
    12-27-14 08:32 AM
    Are you talking about 10.3.1? Because if you are I have tried a couple of the leaks and I have spoken with a lot of other people and it did not fix the camera issues. Granted I am going off a leak which is not official by any means and any bugs found that's expected because it's not official and wanting any other outcome is ludicrous. But this is where my doubt on an update for the camera sits, all the features that 10.3.1 are supposed to have are actually all there in the leaks, but nothing touched in the camera department. But hey I could be wrong and they could just do it last minute in the next two weeks since it's supposedly ready to released. Not holding my breath.

Classic Passport
    Forget the dang leaks, and while I wouldn't suggest holding your breath, wait for the official OS. I believe y'all will have a huge sigh of relief.
    twiggyrj likes this.
    12-27-14 08:32 AM
    Question, how does BES play into MS's services play? Would there be any conflict in this? Does BES do a bunch of the syncing and backing up of data that Azure does? I am not too familiar with the specifics of BES.
    I'm not sure on the specifics either but Microsoft now also has a Mobile Device and Application Manager: Mobile device and application management | Microsoft
    I have a feeling MS will come round to release office on BB10 in one form or another. It may sound unlikely but MS has released a large chunk of their services on competing platforms.
    12-27-14 08:39 AM
    The major difference between Google and Microsoft services is price. The education and consumer markets are very price sensitive. I wouldn't say that Microsoft is charging an excessive amount of money, but free typically wins out. Corporations aren't accustomed to getting things for free. Even Google charges money in this market. So Microsoft can differentiate by offering services to a broader audience. It also seems to reason that those companies who remain loyal to Blackberry would also use the Microsoft suite of software. But, what you say makes sense; extending to Blackberry probably doesn't rank all that high on their list of things to do. I hope this changes as Chen continues to turn around Blackberry.
    Sure I agree but MS is attacking Google pretty hard with Office 365 it is even cheaper than Google Docs with unlimited storage and office on 5 machines and online for $7 a month. MS needs to lock down office as the defacto choice for office document suite and it will need to be on BB10 at some point but if Chen can make MS a good offer it will most likely be coming sooner rather than later.
    12-27-14 08:47 AM
    Looking for some @Bla1ze input:-)

Classic Passport
    12-27-14 04:24 PM
    I'm not sure on the specifics either but Microsoft now also has a Mobile Device and Application Manager: Mobile device and application management | Microsoft
    I have a feeling MS will come round to release office on BB10 in one form or another. It may sound unlikely but MS has released a large chunk of their services on competing platforms.
    Their MDM solution doesn't include BlackBerry and there are no plans to include it in near future.
    I don't expect any MS services for BlackBerry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    12-28-14 05:08 AM
    Once you get the camera on the Passport focused and ready it takes beautiful pictures but the problem is its never wanting to focus. It's slow to focus and take the shot. Those are all things that can be fixed via software because the hardware in the Passports camera is wonderful, it just needs tweaking sw wise. One positive I have found is the video is perfect on the Passport it even focuses correctly.

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    12-28-14 12:14 PM
    Once you get the camera on the Passport focused and ready it takes beautiful pictures but the problem is its never wanting to focus. It's slow to focus and take the shot. Those are all things that can be fixed via software because the hardware in the Passports camera is wonderful, it just needs tweaking sw wise. One positive I have found is the video is perfect on the Passport it even focuses correctly.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks! The last thing I think BlackBerry needs to do right now, is spend money unnecessarily, especially on a one-sided partnership. The camera software options in 10.3.1 are good, the hardware quality, and the focus issue will be resolved.

How did this become a thread about Microsoft? Let's stick to Nokia and the Passport folks.
    BryanVilla likes this.
    12-28-14 12:43 PM
    I think it would be great to have Nokia's Pro Cam software on BB, and also their 'Here' apps. They're pretty good, and even if we don't need them, having the choice would be nice.
    12-28-14 12:48 PM
    Nokia + BB10 would certainly be interesting. I think that Nokia will buy Jolla though because Jolla cannot survive on their own.

Also I wouldn't worry too much about Microsoft which bought Nokia devices and services. I've seen it several times that a larger company buys a smaller one but the owner of the company being bought up takes all the key personnel and creates a new entity. When you create devices like cell phones one of the main ingredient in the development is how they interact with other vendors and creates relationships. Nokia and Zeiss is an example of this and I think Nokia will come back to Zeiss again as they already had relationships in the past.

This is where Microsoft will suffer because relationships isn't the strong side of Microsoft and therefore they will have mediocre hardware in the future. We see this already as they cannot produce flagships anymore. Their flagships were done during the help from Nokia.
    12-28-14 01:54 PM
62 123