Hello,

I'm a satisfied PALM OS work professional user, working with the PIM applications for controling my tight schedule and lots of tasks as manager of a development department.

I'm not interested in Multimedia stuff or cameras and all that whistle and bells I have no use for.

But no I like to merge my Nokia mobile phone with my Tungsten E to only have one device doing it all.

I just went to a store and tested the Curve 8900 and my Palm side-by-side. The curve is a nice device indeed.
    BUT - with the Palm stylus writing/navigating UI I am as 4 times as fast to create appointments and tasks compared to the Curve. I feel like disabled with the Curve being reduced to the trackball for navigation albeith the menus of the Curve are easy to understand. It feels like writing with the pencil attached to my mouth, my hands folded behind the neck, bending down to the paper....

Are there some professional Palm to BB migrants out there that have had likewise "feelings" and succeeded to come to speed and comfort with the BB trackball approach? How long does it take? Are you happy? Are you missing anything from the Palm? Was it the right decision at last?

Please share your experience!

Thanx,
    Jens
    02-01-09 03:23 AM
    There is a lot, ppl who try Blackberry migrate to em.... Palm is by far the second single device next to a BB ya their prob is more WM phones but that's htc, palm, samsung, moto, ect ect ect there is many phone makers who dabble with WM. Palm main issues are even if you like their input methods, or ui, Palm can only run 1 count em 1 app at a time. That's the problem. Mabe you could play a music app in the back ground but that's it. One thing at a time, multi-task? NO! With my blackberry I can surf the web (1) listen too music (2) Have aim yahoo msn google talk running. (3,4,5,6) BBM (7) push email (8) push weather (9) Text, ectectect.... So many things on a BB multi-task heck ya....

Migrate to the NOW!!!!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-01-09 03:39 AM
    The core player for palm is good wish BB would adopt it

02-01-09 03:41 AM
    I am not a professional but I had the palm treo before my curve and one thing I can say with my tasks and scheduling and appointment apps are better on my curve than palm. At first I didn't think so but once I got the curve I learned I typed faster and it was much easier. I actually love ball and it is easier than u think. There are so many 3rd party apps for the bb I don't think u will have a problem. I got tired of palm always freezing so that is why I got a bb.

02-01-09 03:43 AM
    I am not a "professional user", but I am a teacher. I used a palm dev ice for years, and could use the stylus almost as fast as I could write. Now I can type on a blackberry as fast. Don't let that part stop you.

02-01-09 06:55 AM
    I actually have the opposite experience than akaquietstorm. The Bold is 3 steps behind my old treo 700p in regard to calendar and tasks. The lack of categories means I have to go into the calendar event to see what general type of event it is (I had to resort to duplicating the category info in the notes just so I'd now if it was important that can't be bumped, something with the family that shouldn't be bumped since it's effecting more than me, something for work that might be bumped, or something for personal that might be bumped). I've also had to resort to manually greating new tasks when I complete a recurring task that is based upon the last time it was done and not just blindly based upon a set interval.

Email is a wash. Some slight improvements and the lack of full IMAP support being the drawback.

But it is quick. The media is mostly on par with pockettunes. Reception is better and battery life is a lot better.

I'm more happy than disappointed and don't regret the switch at this time.

As a parting shot, the trackball didn't take long to get used to. I only miss the touch screen for the old DiddleBug/Notepad app for drawing or writting quick notes and of course the lack of a stylus that had a pen in it. (The pen is probably the 3 biggest thing I miss as I've gotten so used to using it that I rarely carry around a pen at all)
    02-01-09 07:53 AM
    I currently have a Palm treo 700wx and am waiting on my Curve to be delivered, and I was wondering how difficult/easy the transition would be going from a touchscreen to a non-touchscreen phone. I know it will definitely take some getting used to, and I will probably have those moments when I forget that the BB is NOT a touchscreen and wonder why nothing opens LOL
    02-01-09 07:58 AM
    I was a Tungsten user as well, and yes it did take a little getting used to. I kept reaching for the stylus out of habit, but after about a week or so that passed and now I'm as fast with the Curve as I was on the Palm. I finally unplugged the Tungsten and now it resides on a closet shelf. Haven't missed it since then.
    02-01-09 09:12 AM
    I went from a palm tungsten E to a blackberry pearl. Here are my thougts:

Text input speed: was slightly faster with stylus on the palm but can type almost completely one-handed on the suretype keyboard. Winner, BB by a small margin.

Touch screen: didn't miss it at all after a week. Much less frequent screen protector changes on BB due to no stylus scratches. trackball was easy to get used to. Winner, BB

3rd party apps: been scrounging the web for 7 months of BB ownership to replace all of my must-have palm apps. Mostly successfully. Only thing I REALLY miss is datebook6. Pocket informant is the closest thing i've found for BB, but not quite there, so I'm not quite convinced it's worth the 20 bucks. BB DOES have some cool stuff I didn't have on palm though. Winner, Palm by a small margin.

Battery life: not a fair test as my palm wasn't a wireless device. Palm was somewhat better. However BB is twice as good as the palm centro my wife had for 3 days before trading it in for a BB. No experience with treo. Winner, BB

Portability: smaller than tungsten and go from one device to 2. Winner, BB.

Overall I don't regret going to BB. At my prior job I literally lived by my multi category calendar and views in datebook. Had I still been there this would probably been a deal breaker. I still miss it but now it is more of just a convenience.

Hope this helps you out some.

02-01-09 09:20 AM
    I went from a palm tungsten E to a blackberry pearl. Here are my thougts:

Overall I don't regret going to BB. At my prior job I literally lived by my multi category calendar and views in datebook. Had I still been there this would probably been a deal breaker. I still miss it but now it is more of just a convenience.
    Well, the built-in PIM software wasn't sufficient on PALM nor it is on the BB.
    I used extra software on Palm and if it was for the Curve 8900 I will instantly try out Agendus coming with colored categories...

With the replies so far the Curve 8900 is almost in near reach ;-)
    02-01-09 02:04 PM
    Wait for the palm pre that is coming out. From the CES demos it will be really great.

02-01-09 02:13 PM
    From everything I've read, the Palm Pre sounds like a great device. It appears that it has the potential to have some weak battery life, but from what I've read this appears to be some educated speculation rather than actual testing or even real anecdotal evidence.

If you can wait until 'sometime in '09' and are able to use Sprint, I'd wait and try the Pre. Whatever hardware you're looking at now will only come down in price between now and then, so the worst that happens is you end up paying the same or less for the same device you're looking at now.

I would think about it but I have poor sprint coverage where I am.

Good Luck
    02-01-09 04:36 PM
    I like Palms - a lot. But, I think BBs are the best that are out there. If you're good at text messaging, the Pearl might be what you want. It'd be as fast as text messaging (the 'typing'). I love my Curve but the keyboard is too small for me. Ultimately though, you'll get used to and proficient with what you use. You'll miss some old things and like some new things but what you're using will become 'normal' for you.
    02-01-09 05:58 PM
    Well, the built-in PIM software wasn't sufficient on PALM nor it is on the BB.
    I used extra software on Palm and if it was for the Curve 8900 I will instantly try out Agendus coming with colored categories...
    Just be careful on your expectations on Agendus. With no category for calendar in the BB software, there won't be any on agendus either so no color coded calendar entries. The color coded ones in the screenshots are all tasks that are displayed on the calendar.
    02-02-09 08:32 AM
    If I recall correctly from my trial with pocket informant that software did allow colorized categories for calendar events. An issue another user had that I also disliked was no display of corresponding event colors on the month view like some palm apps did.

02-02-09 01:04 PM
    i made the switch this year and i have to say i really miss the threaded sms that palm has but other then that the switch was easy and im happy with my choice.
    02-02-09 01:06 PM
    I went from a 10yr marriage with Treo to my current 3 month marriage to the Bold. After the divorce from Treo I also wondered how I would cope without my #1 treo app - Datebk. Its been a hard separation process though I do love my BOld. If only I can find a Datebk equivalent I will be in heaven!!
    Just finished trying Agendus.... Dont like it for numerous reasons..
    I'm about to try Pocket Informant.

I'm still trying to figure out which app will allow me color code my calendar entries??? anyone??
    02-10-09 02:26 PM
    I too am still waiting to figure out how to color code my calendar entries.
    02-10-09 03:06 PM
    Pocket informant will allow color coded calendar, but not on the month view.

02-10-09 03:31 PM
    Had the Palm treo 650. The phone portion sucked and I always had problems hearing people. It was heavy as a brick....but it's threaded SMS app was awesome and email organization was way better than BB. You had actual in/out/sent/deleted folders where I haven't found that on BB. It was also nice to be able to create folders and be able to move information and old emails there especially if you travel a lot and can move multiple reservations there.

I really like my curve and it feels superior to the Palm...I hated my Palm towards the end there for the above mentioned just wish the BB had the other two abilities as well. Don't really miss the touch screen either.

FYI supposedly there is a new threaded sms app for BB available from jk3.com but it has had mixed reviews and costs $20.
    02-11-09 10:42 AM
    I had a Teo 650 for about 5 years. I changed to the curve about 2 weeks ago. I still miss having a touchscreen, but I am used to the trackball. My biggest disappointment with the curve is getting a good Today screen. I miss 2day on my Treo. I want to be able to see the all my due tasks and upcoming appointments. The curve today screens don't show the times for calendar events for future days.
    The other thing I miss is having a pen in my stylus.

02-11-09 11:20 AM
    I went from a 10yr marriage with Treo to my current 3 month marriage to the Bold. After the divorce from Treo I also wondered how I would cope without my #1 treo app - Datebk. Its been a hard separation process though I do love my BOld. If only I can find a Datebk equivalent I will be in heaven!!
    The developer of Datebk is working on a new project, Pimlical. It will initially be a desktop version, but then will be ported to mobile devices. See the end of the quoted text below.

From the Pimlico Software website:

"Pimlical is designed to be a cross-platform application and will initially roll out as a desktop version for Windows. Because it can read and write the DateBk6 tagged note field and has all DateBk features (such as floating events, advances, custom colors, standard icons, etc.) it can also function as the long-awaited "DateBk Desktop for Windows". However, Pimlical is far more powerful than DateBk6 and has many advanced features such as dual timezones, dual alarms, complete drag/drop/stretch functionality in all views, audit trail, advanced find functionality etc. Note that Pimlical is not a version of DateBk for windows, but rather a completely new calendar application, so there are several features that work different in Pimlical.

A significant benefit for existing Palm users who don't use DateBk is that Pimlical supports the advanced features of the built-in calendar application not supported by the V-6.2 Palm Desktop. For example, Pimlical will display location information, handles appointments spanning midnight and shows alarms and repeats on ToDo's.

Although initially released as a Windows version, Mac and Linux versions of the desktop will be rolled out during the course of 2009 as will versions for most handhelds & smartphones (including Windows Mobile, BlackBerry, Android, possibly iPhone (if Apple changes some of its policies) etc.)."
    02-11-09 12:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD