Among us cb folks, I'm sure we would give props to someone if we actually saw them with the P.

But from what I've read on the P'9983 forums, I can't imagine a regular non-bb phone user being able to tell a significant difference between a Q10 and a P'9983.

Don't get me wrong, I love the device and have been debating getting one. I might go to the PD store and see if they have one to play with.

But day to day in NYC, I don't know anyone who would sweat a P'9983 over let's say a Passport.
    08-29-15 04:33 PM
    I never saw any of the high end phones as a status symbol....only people with to much cash to burn. And honestly 99.9% of the people in the world wouldn't know it from any other bb device out there
    08-29-15 04:52 PM
    Among us cb folks, I'm sure we would give props to someone if we actually saw them with the P.

But from what I've read on the P'9983 forums, I can't imagine a regular non-bb phone user being able to tell a significant difference between a Q10 and a P'9983.

Don't get me wrong, I love the device and have been debating getting one. I might go to the PD store and see if they have one to play with.

But day to day in NYC, I don't know anyone who would sweat a P'9983 over let's say a Passport.
    Personally I think the p series suggest an abundance of cash and a lack of taste.
    08-29-15 04:59 PM
    Waste of money and hardly a status symbol. At least in Dubai you can purchase GOLD iphones, ipads etc that are actually worth something beside the regular product line. As a metal it's value will only go up being GOLD!
    08-29-15 05:06 PM
    Like said above most people would have no idea what phone you were using if it was the P and no one would care. If you told them it was a Porsche edition Blackberry I would bet that no one other than Blackberry aficionados would even know what that means or even care.
    08-29-15 05:06 PM
    The P'9981 all gold edition running OS7 sells for $25000 at the PD store.

I just really like the design. I'm not a fan of the words across the top though.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-15 05:09 PM
    Having the design brand written over it so clearly actually makes it nearly non-buyable.....even if some of the designs are really good.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-15 06:36 PM

The Porsche Design P'9981 is a BlackBerry Bold 9900, with the Porsche Housing. (same phone, different shell)

The Porsche Design P'9985 is a Z10 with Porsche Housing + 64GB of Internal Storage. (same phone, different shell)

The Porsche Design P'9983 is a Q10 with Porsche Hosing + 64GB of Internal Storage. (same phone different shell).

It's a well known fact that the Porsche Design BlackBerry smartphones are a Bold 9900, Z10, Q10 exactly same specs and released shortly after the originals were. Compared to the Z30, Passport there not in the ball park...

Posted via CB10
    08-29-15 09:04 PM
    It's a well known fact...that didn't need repeating. We all know that.

Eventually I'll probably make the splurge impulse buy. I'll also be ready to deal with the,"you spent $xxx.xx on a BlackBerry?!"

Posted via CB10
    08-29-15 09:44 PM

Eventually I'll probably make the splurge impulse buy. I'll also be ready to deal with the,"you spent $xxx.xx on a BlackBerry?!"

Posted via CB10
    I'm not sure where you are from but they sell for pretty cheap on Amazon. The P'9983 can be found for less than $1000 US on Amazon and probably less on eBay.
    08-30-15 05:51 AM
    It's a poser phone. People who really have the big bucks have other people make their calls for them. They don't need a hand full of shiny glitz to prove anything.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 10:12 AM
    Waste of money and hardly a status symbol. At least in Dubai you can purchase GOLD iphones, ipads etc that are actually worth something beside the regular product line. As a metal it's value will only go up being GOLD!
    ???????

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 10:36 AM

Posted via CB10

You brought it up. Regardless, it's your money......it would still be your phone. IMO. The only ppl on here that assume that model is a status symbol are those that actually want it. There are a number of ppl that can afford it(not me) on here, but don't want it. I think the BlackBerry as a "status symbol" angle played out about 4 years ago.
    DrBoomBotz and pat-wallace like this.
    08-31-15 10:37 AM
    A Porsche phone is just like Porsche sunglasses bags, and wallets, same as mont blac or armani etc....

Basically a sort of fashion and a bit of showing off, this is a trend that exists whether you like it or not.

And as for the p9983, I personally think it's a beautiful device, and wouldn't hesitate to buy it if I had an extra couple of K just for burning.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 10:39 AM
    I wouldn't say that it is a status symbol. Unlike an expensive watch, a Porsche Design BlackBerry is widely unknown.

However, phones are becoming more of a fashion accessory nowadays. Certainly one reason why manufacturers are increasingly picking high end materials and put a stronger focus on a classy finish. With a Porsche Design BlackBerry, you have a truly distinguished phone which shows off a special design and premium finish. Definitely nice to have.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 11:36 AM
    A status symbol is a perceived visible, external denotation of one's social position and perceived indicator of economic or social status. Many luxury goods are often considered status symbols. Status symbol is also a sociological term – as part of social and sociological symbolic interactionism – relating to how individuals and groups interact and interpret various cultural symbols.
    If someone can look at a P9983 and recognize it as a Luxury item.... I guess you could call it a status symbol.

I'm not a member of the affluent... so I don't know if Porsche Design means anything. I see that and I think CAR, not SMARTPHONE.

I look at the P9983 and all I see is a "distinctive" looking BlackBerry.... but I don't think luxury. Maybe if it were Gold Plated, or had a big Porsche shield on it.....

I agree that the Passport probable gets more notice than the P9983.....
    08-31-15 11:46 AM
    If someone can look at a P9983 and recognize it as a Luxury item.... I guess you could call it a status symbol.

I'm not a member of the affluent... so I don't know if Porsche Design means anything. I see that and I think CAR, not SMARTPHONE.

I look at the P9983 and all I see is a "distinctive" looking BlackBerry.... but I don't think luxury. Maybe if it were Gold Plated, or had a big Porsche shield on it.....

I agree that the Passport probable gets more notice than the P9983.....
    Porsche Design is not directly related to the Porsche car brand. Just wanted to add this as a side note.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 03:43 PM
    It screams "I own a football team", to me.
    08-31-15 03:44 PM
    It's a symbol of something for sure, doubt I'd consider it a status symbol though

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    08-31-15 03:46 PM
    A Callaway Blackberry would be much cooler .
    pat-wallace likes this.
    08-31-15 04:27 PM
    Definitely a status symbol, but only if people recognize it as such...
    There's no reason to spend 3x more for only some small upgrades.

Do I still want one? Yes, because I do think that they are nicer than the original but is it worth that much more? No.
    pat-wallace likes this.
    08-31-15 11:09 PM
    For those that own one, it is. For those that don't care, it isn't.
    It's like anything. Some people want to drive a Cadillac while others are fine with a plain Chevy.
    If owning one is something you'd like and you have the means, then go right ahead!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    pat-wallace likes this.
    09-01-15 08:46 AM
    It screams I own a Hockey team! Fixed it for you.

Posted via CB10
    pat-wallace likes this.
    09-01-15 09:55 AM