Hi all,

I'm a somewhat, but not very sophisticated user. Here is my situation: I have a blackberry 8830 and I use the Blackberry Internet Service to manage my email accounts. At my company, we recently went from POP mail to a mail server (go easy if that's not the correct terminology...), that allows us to use Outlook Web Access.

So, whn I try to add my office email account and I navigate to the place where I tell BIS I will provide my settings and that it is my work email address and I can access it with Outlook Web Access, I can fill in all of the fields (using the values given to me) and then hit enter, I get the error message of:

"A connection could not be established to [server name]/owa/[user name]. Please check thatt he server name is correct and the server is available"

As near as I can tell it is, because I can log on to the server using OWA.

I was told that there might be something wron with our mail certificate (not sure what that means), but I have searcehed all around here and other forums, FAQs Blackberry.copm, etc and I can't get any insight.

Can any of you kind people help?
    07-08-08 04:51 PM
    Same thing happened to me last month with my company email, so i have a few questions for you:

Did the domain of your company email or your username changed? like if it was "yourname"@"companyname".com and now is something different.

Before the change were you able to get your emails on your BB? and if so, is your email account still active on your carrier BIS site?

Before the change do you had internal and external email with different accounts? like one account (in outlook maybe) that only worked for sending mails to the pcs that are in your office, and another account for sending mails to the outside, i ask you this because if thats the case it may be that the "IT" guys decided to unify both accounts on the new server leaving the domain of the external account, but the username and password of the internal one.

And one more thing, you should always ask for help to your company's IT crew, they are the ones that are more likely to help you out.
    07-08-08 06:49 PM
    PanaSama,

Thanks for the reply. I'll try to answer as best I can. Last one first - my company has about 30 employees so there really isn't an IT gut or department (the rest will follow).

No, the domain name didn't change nor did my email address. Wefrom what I understand we went from POP main to an exchange mail server. For about a week after the switch, when I logged on to the name.com/OWA website, I got a security message saying this site might be up to no good, are you sure you want to do this? message. That went away when I was told our "certificate" issues were fixed.

Yes, before the change I could get the emaild on my BB. However, when I logged on to the BIS site, it had a little red X on that account.

Interestingly, during th eweek out "certificate" wasn't right, all was perfect with my BB and the new mail server. Then I got an email message saying my BB email at my company address was no good.

Lastly, the tech guy from out new ISP is perplexed about the BB email issue so I'm hoping someone here can help.
    07-08-08 07:08 PM
    When my company changed to an exchange server i deleted my account from the BIS site and then tried to activate it again but with no luck, then i got a message on my email account saying something like "this account failed to be activated on your Blackberry device, please check that your parameters are ok" and then it showed a list of my email settings, like the name of the exchange server, my username, and well just about anything i needed out to fill out the fields, thats when i noticed that i got some of the parameters wrong, i dont know if that mail was carrier specific or is something that everyone gets, but thats how i got it solved.

Now i think that your problem might actually be with that "certificate" your talking about and not the activation through your bis site since everything was working ok before that, i thought the certificates were just to prove that you are a trusted email account and to prevent from all of your outgoing messages to go to the spam folder, sadly i have no idea of how to help you with that.
    07-08-08 07:32 PM
    OK, Some news here... The tech people who set up the mail server and a few oter things will be here tomorrow morning. What specific information should I ask for or what questions should I ask?

Thanks!
    07-09-08 06:23 PM
    Did you try deleting, that email account, delete the services books for that address (Options ~ Advanced Options ~ Service Books) then go the through the website instead of doing it on your phone (https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw&locale=en) i think that is the right site for Verizon (I am on sprint), then if that don't work maybe ask them what settings they used and stuff.
    07-09-08 08:40 PM
    I looked in my service book and found no reference to the email address that I am trying to set up. I re-sent the service book from the website anyway. I am also trying to set up the device from the internet site as I havebeen all along. One thing I will mention, is that when I try to allow the BIS to detect my setting automatically, I rceive the follwing error message:

"We were ubnable to install the Import Control. Either you said No to the security dialog or you do not have sufficient rights to install the software."

The odd thing is that a dialog box never appeared and I have tried this both at owrk and at home, where I have sufficient rights to do this.

This is really frustrating!
    07-10-08 12:10 PM
    Here is today's update from Tech Support (via email):

"Basically Blackberry web service is not supported through ISA 2006 at this time. RIM is aware of the issue and is working on a solution."

So what I can infer from this is that RIM has not been able to connect any blackberry at any time sine ISA 2006 came outm and they are still working on a solution. Sounds like a lame reply from Tech Support to me.

Any further thoughts?
    07-11-08 11:20 AM
    Here is one thing to try. It worked for me in the past when the company I worked for had OWA.
    1. Go to your BIS site and delete the prewvious work email, it does not work anymore right?
    2. Add a new email address, you are going to re-add the work email and you should get an error saying that the email address could not be setup.
    3. You will then be asked if you want to continue the process manually or automaticly, select manual
    4. The next ? Have something to do with how you can view the email. You will have choices such as OWA, outlook, notes or groupwise, select OWA
    5. The next section will ask for your email address, user name, password, what you want to name the work email and the exchange server address, fill in the blanks
    6. Once done, you should be able to receive the emails on your bb again, you will not be able to sync calendars and your address book wirelessly, but it can be done manually and your emails will come in with no problem

Hope this helps

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-08 12:40 PM
    OK, Here is what I've done, following your suggestions:

1. Go to your BIS site and delete the prewvious work email, it does not work anymore right?

Done. In fact I did tat about 10 days ago

2. Add a new email address, you are going to re-add the work email and you should get an error saying that the email address could not be setup.

Did that

3. You will then be asked if you want to continue the process manually or automaticly, select manual

Done

4. The next ? Have something to do with how you can view the email. You will have choices such as OWA, outlook, notes or groupwise, select OWA

Done

5. The next section will ask for your email address, user name, password, what you want to name the work email and the exchange server address, fill in the blanks

Check

6. Once done, you should be able to receive the emails on your bb again, you will not be able to sync calendars and your address book wirelessly, but it can be done manually and your emails will come in with no problem

Nope. I get: "A connection could not be established to...... /owa/user name. Please check that the server name is correct and that the server is available" - kind of non-specific as to which parameter is didn't like.
    07-11-08 03:36 PM
    If you are using Exchange in your office and have a BIS account then the easiest way to "Sync" your email is to create a rule in outlook

Depending on which outlook client you have select Rules or Rules wizard and create a "Redirect" rule (also select the option to save a copy in your own inbox as well - Set it to redirect and forward it to your BIS account. Messages will appear on your berry from the Original Sender (rather than hem being forwarded from you)

You can also Specify the Reply Address on your BIS account to be that of your work Email Address.

Like other solutions calender and contacts don't sync automatically (any Meeting requests you are sent will appear in your blackberry calender automatically though)

Hope this helps
    07-11-08 04:16 PM
    I have the same problem with my Outlook Exchange. I can get mail forwarded t me but if I try to respond I end up sending my reply to my inbox. I don't see an option to redirect mail, only forward it. My IT dept. seems to think I will have to get BES which they support. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    07-11-08 06:50 PM
    Nah - You should be able to forward unless the explicitly block it - try this.

Outlook 2003 - Forward your Email
    07-11-08 07:00 PM
    Thank. I'll check it out.
    07-11-08 07:05 PM
    OK, Here is what I've done, following your suggestions:

Done. In fact I did tat about 10 days ago

Did that

Done

Done

Check

Nope. I get: "A connection could not be established to...... /owa/user name. Please check that the server name is correct and that the server is available" - kind of non-specific as to which parameter is didn't like.
    The only thing I would do different is not insert the /owa/user name during the part that asks for the exchange address, you should then be able to get the emails

07-11-08 11:49 PM
    One question, you are able to log on to your exchange server via the web, by going to your companies site or log on site, right? If so the instructions shoud work fine, hope this helps

07-11-08 11:51 PM
    Ah i have the same problem... i had it working on my 8320.... but on my 9500 i cant...

make sure you have put in the correct MAIL BOX NAME..... could be anything really
    12-22-08 07:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD