HI,
    I have just purchased a Blackberry Bold. I have read somewhere that you will need to apply for a data plan from your carrier before you can access email online. However, I do not need to access my email instantaneously since I am in the office all day long. What I want to be able to do is synch my outlook email to my blackberry bold without a data plan. And if possible download new emails from the server using pop3 via wifi.

I was able to do all these when I had an HTC smartphone using wifi. Is there a way I can do this without having a data plan all together?? I read somewhere that you need to apply for a BIS? Can I apply for a BIS without a data plan cause my provider (I am located in the Philippines) do not provide this service without a data plan. Or is applying for a BIS independent on what carrier you are with? ie I can just apply for a BIS as long as I own a blackberry.

Hopefully someone can help me. Because I am getting frustrated with this BB due to that inability to synch my outlook email. But I really like this phone. Thanks for the response...
    04-17-09 08:43 PM
    You can't do that on a BlackBerry.

And BIS stands for BlackBerry Internet Service. It is a data plan. And it is provided through your carrier. Without a BlackBerry Data Plan, you will not be able to have email pushed to the device. (And email will not sync with Outlook.)

The closest you will likely get is to try to check your mail via a webmail interface if your email provider has one. But even if they do, many webmails interfaces do not render will on the BlackBerry Browser.
    04-18-09 06:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD