Hi guys,

I'm just starting to re-organize my contacts in Outlook so they are more organized on my BB. I've got a lot of contacts in outlook that are for "John & Jane Doe" that have a mailing address, home phone, and 2 mobile phones. Each mobile phone in Outlook has "(John)" or "(Jane)" next to it so I know which one is which. This works great in Outlook. I can't get these to show up on my BB, though. What's the best way to handle this situation? I was going to go through all of my contacts like this and separate them so there is 1 contact for John Doe and one contact for Jane Doe but then I have to put the home phone number and mailing address in both contacts - not exactly easy to update. Hoping someone here has come up with a better solution?!

Thanks!
    08-27-08 05:47 PM
    ..I've got a lot of contacts in outlook that are for "John & Jane Doe" that have a mailing address, home phone, and 2 mobile phones. Each mobile phone in Outlook has "(John)" or "(Jane)" next to it so I know which one is which. This works great in Outlook. I can't get these to show up on my BB, though. What's the best way to handle this situation? I was going to go through all of my contacts like this and separate them so there is 1 contact for John Doe and one contact for Jane Doe but then I have to put the home phone number and mailing address in both contacts - not exactly easy to update...
    Your proposed solution is basically what I do, with one simplification. I put John & Jane Doe with their home phone, home email, and home address in one contact. I don't put business numbers there. If either John or Jane or both have business phones, emails, and cells, I make a separate entry for each person with their business info, but don't put home info in them.

It works for me because I don't find much need to update friends and family info once it's entered. I'll be interested to see what other solutions people offer.
    08-27-08 06:10 PM
    Your proposed solution is basically what I do, with one simplification. I put John & Jane Doe with their home phone, home email, and home address in one contact. I don't put business numbers there. If either John or Jane or both have business phones, emails, and cells, I make a separate entry for each person with their business info, but don't put home info in them.

It works for me because I don't find much need to update friends and family info once it's entered. I'll be interested to see what other solutions people offer.
    I went through the same pains when switching to a Blackberry. On my old phone I was able to "label" phone, email, and address entries in a contact, so I could list husband/wife cell and email separately and still know which was which. Now I have an entry for the "home", with home phone, address, etc, and separate entries for each family member, but these entries contain only information that's specific to that family member.

It's kind of a klunky way to do it compared to what I was able to do before. I'm still baffled when I come across these "basics" that are so poorly thought out or just outright missing, on a device that I would think is fairly far along in its own evolution.
    08-29-08 01:20 AM
    The way BB uses notes helps me much with families that have mulitple people with cell phones and email addreses.

Since the blackberry will not allow you to put text after a phone number...that is without that text being interpriated as a numeric part of the phone number...I have found a good work around. Place the extra phone number associated with a family member in the Notes section of the Blackberry. Blackberry will scan these and treat them as dialable phone numbers. Same with extra email addresses.
    10-16-08 08:12 AM
    That's a nice tip. Welcome to the forums!
    10-16-08 12:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD