It's just a rumour, but the Z10's pricing may be nudging $800 and if that's the case I'll be looking for my next device outside of the BB10 family. That could possibly mean looking outside of RIM hardware altogether, a proposition that I'm not entirely comfortable with. Which got me thinking......

We know RIM will continue to market a smaller OS7 range at a reduced price point for a few months after BB10 has been launched. One of those phones will almost certainly be the 9900, which is currently retailing in Canada for $500-$550.

My question is this: What devices do you think will get carried over and at what price point? Do you think this will be a successful strategy for RIM?

My guesses are as folllows:

9900 @ $350;
    9810 @ $250;
    93** @ $125.
    01-12-13 08:32 AM
    At my local Rogers store it looks like the only BB7 device they're carrying now is the 9900. A few weeks ago all other BB7 devices were displayed with the tag "Ask for more information" which for the store means not in stock. Might be able to still get them through the carrier website.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    01-12-13 08:44 AM
    I know the 9790 hit EOL status a few months ago, I genuinely think RIM effed up the marketing on this one. But the 9810 still seems to be around and the curve is all its myriad of versions is still quite strong too.
    01-12-13 08:49 AM
    If you're someone that gets the needed use out of what you buy to begin with and don't need to be bleeding edge, there's no worries. As I see it, eventually BB10 will drop in price when the next thing comes about, and at that point i'll consider switching myself. There's an advantage to being one generation (or a little more) behind, you're not missing an awful lot and the prices are a little easier on the ol' wallet

For speculating RIM's marketing approach, we know that OS7 is still being pushed, still alive and well so of course they're going to get a little cheaper. As usual, only time will tell the story.
    jegs2 likes this.
    01-12-13 04:08 PM
    It's just a rumour, but the Z10's pricing may be nudging $800 and if that's the case I'll be looking for my next device outside of the BB10 family. That could possibly mean looking outside of RIM hardware altogether, a proposition that I'm not entirely comfortable with. Which got me thinking......

We know RIM will continue to market a smaller OS7 range at a reduced price point for a few months after BB10 has been launched. One of those phones will almost certainly be the 9900, which is currently retailing in Canada for $500-$550.

My question is this: What devices do you think will get carried over and at what price point? Do you think this will be a successful strategy for RIM?

My guesses are as folllows:

9900 @ $350;
    9810 @ $250;
    93** @ $125.

Just because they are old does not mean the manufacturing costs go down. The 9900 is a very expensive device to make. I don't think price will go down that much.
    01-12-13 04:10 PM
    Or save an extra 100$ and just spend 800$. Millions and millions of people can find that amount of money to buy an iphone. For a device I think is not that good at all. Its not only wealthy people who get an iphone, lots of people do.

Also if you can't afford the no contract price that's why carriers offer subsidized prices with contracts. So people with less money like yourself can buy the top end devices.
    01-12-13 04:14 PM
    I suggest you go on Kijiji. Brand new ones sealed in original box are going for less than $300 (9900)
    01-12-13 04:34 PM
    The odds are that all premium bb7 devices will be phased out fairly quickly, things like the 9320 will hang around as they are ideal low-end devices, especially in countries that offer payg on the blackberry which will not be feasible until cheaper bb10 models show up.
    darkehawke likes this.
    01-12-13 07:16 PM
    Or save an extra 100$ and just spend 800$. Millions and millions of people can find that amount of money to buy an iphone. For a device I think is not that good at all. Its not only wealthy people who get an iphone, lots of people do.

Also if you can't afford the no contract price that's why carriers offer subsidized prices with contracts. So people with less money like yourself can buy the top end devices.
    I've said this several times in other parts of this site but I'll say it again; this has nothing to do with whether I can afford a BB10 device or not but everything to do with what my perceived value is. $800, as far as I'm concerned, is too much for any phone, not just BB10, there is no phone that can justifyingly claim that it is. There are plenty of things I would pay $800 for, a phone is not one of them. Assuming that I'm broke because of where my value set is is both lazy and crass.
    01-12-13 08:52 PM
    I've said this several times in other parts of this site but I'll say it again; this has nothing to do with whether I can afford a BB10 device or not but everything to do with what my perceived value is. $800, as far as I'm concerned, is too much for any phone, not just BB10, there is no phone that can justifyingly claim that it is. There are plenty of things I would pay $800 for, a phone is not one of them. Assuming that I'm broke because of where my value set is is both lazy and crass.
    The way I look at it, it's not just a phone. This is the device I use most often. Literally using it hundreds of times a day. It's in my hands none stop. I can throw away my tablet, my laptop, my desktop, even my gaming console as long as I still have a smartphone. Obviously were not to the point where I can replace those devices, but I could live without. One day I do hope our phones can be the one and only needed device. Obviously cheaper is better, I'd rather spend 600, but if 800 is the price to make it profitable for companies like apple and RIM (and carriers) then so be it.
    01-12-13 10:26 PM
    I think a bunch of people already posted their thoughts on the comments for the Bell computer screen leak photo showing Feb 28 street date and $800 price.

Most people think the $800 is not real, and will likely be closer to $600. And with contract on a plan, subsidized by carrier contract, you may end up paying at most $199.

Honestly I think RIM, even with all the excitement, will need to keep costs below the Apple and Android flagship phones to at least keep people from leaving, and maybe help turn the tide the other way.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    01-13-13 04:02 PM
    Just because they are old does not mean the manufacturing costs go down. The 9900 is a very expensive device to make. I don't think price will go down that much.
    I'm not sure the Bold costs a massive amount to build, actually. Assembly is dead simple (unlike the 9810, for instance), and since it's been in production for over a year and a half I'd expect much of the production engineering has been amortized nicely by now.

There's going to be a need to keep OS7 phones in the market for at least another year to give enterprise customers time to migrate to BES10. They'll be around for a bit, yet.
    darkehawke likes this.
    01-13-13 04:08 PM
    Its not going to be 800. I would bet my firstborn it will be 600 -699.
    01-13-13 04:30 PM
    please keep in mind retail pricing can vary from store to store. Here in the U.S. Best Buy is notorious for jacking up the retail cost of a phone. AT&T corporate stores and authorized retailers will take their cost of the phone, and add $50-$100 (normally just $50) to make the "retail price" of the phone. At the retailer I was at the $50 mark-up was the case. I would then go see the same phone in best buy, and the retail price would be often $150 higher than my store had it at. Why? Not sure, to try and make their "deals" seem better?
    01-13-13 07:51 PM
    I'm not sure the Bold costs a massive amount to build, actually.
    I would imagine the Bold is by far the most expensive model to produce... not due to build costs, but to the premium materials used.
    01-13-13 08:16 PM
    I would bet my firstborn it will be 600 -699.
    Do you even have one? It wouldn't be a first bet if you don't

I would LOVE to get my hands on an AWS 9810 for under $200. Of course, finding a new one nowadays is like searching for Hoffa...
    01-13-13 08:37 PM
    I'm sure, in all honesty, prices on OS7 phones will not change. Any sale price will be up to the individual stores trying to purge their stock.

Sent from my BlackBerry
    01-13-13 08:40 PM
    I'm sure, in all honesty, prices on OS7 phones will not change. Any sale price will be up to the individual stores trying to purge their stock.

Sent from my BlackBerry
    i'm sure i saw an interview with TH where he said that BB7 wprices will be lowered after 10 is launched

maybe someone can confirm?
    01-14-13 03:25 PM

True, but a lot of people don't have the credit to get approved for a contract, or at least not without paying a huge deposit, also the pricing for contract plans is just ridiculous.
    01-14-13 03:36 PM
    i'm sure i saw an interview with TH where he said that BB7 wprices will be lowered after 10 is launched

maybe someone can confirm?
    It would be nice, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't happen. Carriers have already purchased a large amount of these phones at their current price. Is RIM going to issue rebate cheques?

Sent from my BlackBerry
    01-15-13 07:41 AM
    It would be nice, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't happen. Carriers have already purchased a large amount of these phones at their current price. Is RIM going to issue rebate cheques?

Sent from my BlackBerry
    RIM's cost has very little to do with carrier pricing. One is not dependent on the other. RIM will sell the device fr x amount, everything after that is what the carriers want/think they can charge.
    Last edited by Oniberry; 01-15-13 at 03:00 PM.
    01-15-13 01:39 PM