With the new OS 5.0 (I installed OS 5.0.0.822) if you lock the keypad using the Lock application, then you cannot unlock it anymore because the Mute key doesn't work anymore. Huh???? Who had this brilliant idea????? I now have to take the battery out and restart the phone everytime I lock the keypad.
    Is this for real?
    07-23-10 03:50 PM
    Yep. That's how it works on the new OS versions.
    07-23-10 04:43 PM
    You will have to learn to live with the new behavior. MUTE means MUTE and no longer "means" Standby or lock.

The LOCK key is the left one (well, on the Tour and bold9650, anyway). I don't know the 9000.

You may find you have also lost the LOCK ICON and that will only appear, if I remember, is if you set a password.

The only fix is to downgrade back to an older OS. For a while hybrid makers were trying to get the old behavior back but I think that they have accepted that rim has changed it.
    07-23-10 04:44 PM
    ok, so these people left the Lock application on OS 5.0 and then this application calls for a mute key that no longer exist. Are these people at RIM developers????
    07-23-10 06:58 PM
    ok, so these people left the Lock application on OS 5.0 and then this application calls for a mute key that no longer exist. Are these people at RIM developers????
    Damn.. Wish I could get paid to make bad decisions. I'd be a self made Gazillionaire!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-10 11:12 PM
    Security lock = Alt>Enter or Lock icon. Keyboard Lock[and unlock] and Standby = top-left button. What would you like the mute button to do other than mute?
    07-23-10 11:21 PM
    Security lock = Alt>Enter or Lock icon. Keyboard Lock[and unlock] and Standby = top-left button. What would you like the mute button to do other than mute?
    No, on OS > 5.0.0592 to 822, the top left button doesn't unlock the keyboard anymore. The silly thing is that RIM left the functionality of Alt+enter or holding A for locking but then you cannot unlock so you have to restart the phone to be able to use it.
    07-24-10 01:05 AM
    Oh, I wasn't aware of that anomaly with those OS versions. That would have me a little (maybe a lot) peeved. Sorry! Makes you wonder if it's a bug or was it an oversight on the developers' part.

07-24-10 01:22 AM
    Just discovered that with the keyboard locked, an extended depression of the 'end' key powers the phone down. See if that works for you. If it does, that's a little better than a battery pull - for the time being.

07-24-10 01:26 AM
    No, the end key doesn't work. You end up having to do a battery pull. Unless there is another combination of keys to unlock the phone. The terrible thing is that the Lock program says: "Press the mute button to unlock" when the mute button doesn't work anymore on these Os's.
    07-24-10 09:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD