So I've got BB maps open and it is searching for my location when I get an incoming call. I get a pop-up saying GPS can't run if I answer the call and I say OK and then proceed to take the phone call. After a few minutes I hang up and hit BB Button to go back to BB Maps. It finishes finding my location, I finish doing my search and I CLOSE BB Maps properly. 2 hour laters Meterberry beeps me that my battery is almost dead. Sure enough, a recently fully charged battery is 10% charged. I check the Event Logs and I see HUNDREDS of entries repeating "searching for GPS" over and over again.

Don't know if this a GPS bug, a BB Maps bug (never seen it before and I have taken calls before this OS .419 version with a GPS-enabled app open and never seen this), or an OS bug. Anyways, keep your eye on your battery if you have anything open like Poynt, Where, Bing, VZ Navigator, Google Maps, BB Maps, etc and you have to interrupt the app when you take a phone call. Especially if the app is in the SEARCHING LOCATION phase when you do.

YMMV.
    12-28-09 02:41 AM
    See this is why I'm waiting for my Carrier to release the official OS. I've read so many bugs on .419.
    12-28-09 10:41 AM
    See this is why I'm waiting for my Carrier to release the official OS. I've read so many bugs on .419.
    Joke of the day? Carrier is going to release an OS that is bug free! Bet it won't be any more bug free than this official carrier MTS release.
    12-28-09 10:52 AM
    Joke of the day? Carrier is going to release an OS that is bug free! Bet it won't be any more bug free than this official carrier MTS release.
    It was really funny after reading his signature...
    12-28-09 11:27 AM
    No OS from RIM has EVER been bug free. Its a stretch to even say the best OS leaked or official is 95% tops.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-09 11:48 AM
    You guys are ignorant. I never said the Carrier's official releases will be bug free. BUT there is a stronger chance of it being a bit better on bug's and **** from a leak version!!!! That was my only point I was trying to make so stop wording my post another way!
    12-28-09 01:30 PM
    You guys are ignorant. I never said the Carrier's official releases will be bug free. BUT there is a stronger chance of it being a bit better on bug's and **** from a leak version!!!! That was my only point I was trying to make so stop wording my post another way!
    actually you are since leaks and officials are the exact same! that means if VZW released 419 it would have the same bugs!

as the past has shown us every 6 months expect a release perhaps. But you probably wont get one sooner. So take the leaks when they come and load them. Like mentioned they all will have bugs, VZW released 328 and look at that, it has plenty of bugs and some are fixed in 419
    12-28-09 01:52 PM
    I wasn't responding to your post,I was just making a good point about RIM. Hopefully 5.1 will be good..

12-28-09 01:52 PM
    .419 is not really a "leaked" version, it is an official RIM OS for the 9530 that RIM deemed good enough to release to Carriers for testing, and it was good enough that MTS Mobility has "officially" released it to their users.

Verizon has not "officially" released this OS to their STORM customers...

This could be due to it not passing their standards... or it is just as likely that they don't want to release a update for the STORM1 anytime soon. Remember that each time they do an update, they have to be ready to handle the additional load to their systems, TECH support and store staff (especially with STORM updates).
    12-28-09 01:59 PM
    Just downloaded for my Verizon 9530. So far no issues. Typing seems normal, browser speed same, memory Leak problem is Better than .328.

12-28-09 02:13 PM
    Based on everything you wrote, I'd wager to say this is a bug in the OS that will either happen each time you duplicate that same scenario or just sometimes. I'm willing to bet it'll happen each and every time you do this. The BB OS for some reason has a problem with "queuing" stuff up and then processing that just once or enough to get the job done once it can again. For example, streaming music and then receiving an SMS (CDMA PHONES ONLY) which momenteraly interrupts the data stream. Sometimes it pauses and reconnects fine, sometimes it doesn't and sometimes it pauses the audio, but continues to show data sending/receiving, which requires anything from closing the media player out to (in rare instances) having to battery pull). This sounds kinda like what happened to you. For some reason the GPS poller didn't terminated as it should once you exited BBMaps. This could have been the GSP or the BBMaps program, but one thing is certain... most likely the Phone app interruption of the data stream is what caused this issue to happen.

If you can duplicate it at least one more time, I would report it to RIM and go from there. That's all you can do. They miss so many more bugs that are pretty obvious (the black lines while scrolling in SMS) that I would bet anyone a million dollars they wouldn't even think to test for this perticlar bug.
    12-28-09 02:28 PM
    ^^^ Yep. It will just end up getting reported as a possible bug. I'm sure you are correct that the GPS handler didn't stop correctly even after I acknowledged the pop-up that it would be unavailable while the phone is in use on an active call. Once a GPS-dependent app is running (i.e.; Where or VZ Nav) I can't reproduce the problem. But an experiment, wherein I had a coworker call me while the Storm was in the process of acquiring my location using Google Maps, resulted in the same problem. After the call and a clean shutdown of Google Maps I continued to monitor my Event Log via Meterberry. Each time I refreshed the Log several more GPS-searching entries appeared. They stopped with a battery pull. Silly me, I cleared the log before using ZonaSnap to grab a screenshot of it. Ah, well. I'm sure RIM will get the gist of the argument without visible proof.
    12-28-09 09:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD