under wifi option...there are 2 settings under "active wifi connection"

- enable single profile scanning

- prompt me for manual conneciton or login

u can check or uncheck for either of those option. first question, what does those 2 settings mean? and what effect does it have if u have it check or uncheck for either of those option?
    Last edited by vincentnyc; 02-12-10 at 10:41 PM.
    02-12-10 10:27 PM
    im curious as well...
    02-12-10 10:39 PM
    Enable profile scanning allows the phone to negotiate with the router based on existing profiles and then prompt for security keys and or passwords. I believe the last one means it may prompt you for manual config or login info (security keys and or passwords) on every connection attempt.

If the system is open I.e. No security it should just connect but if security is enabled I always manually configure the connection.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-12-10 10:46 PM
    ...I believe the last one means it may prompt you for manual config or login info (security keys and or passwords) on every connection attempt...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    well i have the first option uncheck and last option checked. and when i connect to my home secured wifi, it doesn't prompt for security keys or password on every connection attempt.
    02-12-10 10:54 PM
    someone here know what those option really mean and can give a clearer explanations?
    02-12-10 10:55 PM
    I know if you choose "enable single profile scanning" your phone does not auto pick up your wifi when you go to a new location. When you check it you get radio buttons next to each profile and you have to manually switch between them.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    02-12-10 11:02 PM
    so what is really the point of those option then? to make ur life harder?
    02-12-10 11:05 PM
    "Prompt me for manual connection or login" comes in handy when you try to connect to any open hotspot that requires network keys such as when you use a hotel WiFi like HHonors chain hotel.

Once you choose to connec to thatSSID, it will look as if you connect to WiFi because it is open (Wifi icon will be a solid black), but you will not have UMA shows up.

However, when you have this box checked, your phone will detect that in order for you to have UMA connection, additional networkd keys are required, (which you usually get them from reception desk, that network keys). This feature is helpful because it will automatically launch a proper webpage for you where you can enter those keys.

The older OS 4.6 does not have this feature, I believe. Without this box checked, you need to find the http link to type on your phone using BB browser so that you can enter that assigned network keys.

I am not sure about the other one
    Last edited by doxa sub750T; 02-12-10 at 11:24 PM.
    02-12-10 11:09 PM
    I cannot think of a reason why someone would want to select that option. I certainly have no use for it.

02-12-10 11:11 PM
    I cannot think of a reason why someone would want to select that option. I certainly have no use for it.

Well, I find it very handy. Though you can always find out the http link by using your laptop once you open your web browser. Your web browser will point you to a page where you need to enter assigned network key in order for you to use hotel WiFi service.

I travel a lot and find this thing to be handy for my BB.
    02-12-10 11:32 PM
    From the manual:

Switch Wi-Fi networks manually

By default, when you move between Wi-Fi� coverage areas, your BlackBerry� device attempts to switch to an available Wi-Fi network that you
    have saved in a Wi-Fi profile, but you can choose to receive prompts to switch networks manually. In addition to the prompt, a red star appears
    beside the Wi-Fi indicator at the top of the Home screen.
    1.On the Home screen, click the Manage Connections icon.
    2.Click Wi-Fi Options.
    3.Select the Enable single-profile scanning check box.
    4.Click a Wi-Fi profile.
    5.Press the Menu key.
    6.Click Save.
    To switch Wi-Fi networks automatically when you move between Wi-Fi coverage areas, clear the Enable single-profile scanning check box.
    Your device tries to connect to Wi-Fi networks based on the order in which they appear in your Wi-Fi profile list.

and

Turn off the prompt that appears when a Wi-Fi network becomes available

If you turn off the prompt, a red star still appears beside the Wi-Fi� indicator at the top of the Home screen when you are within range of a Wi-
    Fi network that you have saved in a Wi-Fi profile.
    1.On the Home screen, click the Manage Connections icon.
    2.Click Wi-Fi Options.
    3.Clear the Prompt me when Manual connection or login is required check box.
    02-13-10 07:34 AM
    If you find a wi-fi device does not automatically pick the network
    you prefer (faster, more reliable one) then it's nice to have option
    to override and force a certain choice.

That said, haven't found the need to set this option, to
    "Enable single profile scanning" as I have 2 strong signals
    at most, usually only 1, and it always picks a strong signal,
    and I don't care which one if more than one good one.
    08-15-10 07:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD