Today, at MWC, it was announced that BlackBerry will be bringing most of its exclusive features to other platforms. That news got me wondering:

Which would be worse Android on BlackBerry hardware, or all of the things we love about BlackBerry 10 being available on Android?

For years now, folks have been saying that BlackBerry should try to make a Android device. And pretty much the same amount of people have been saying that they shouldn't.

But today's news shows that they could have made Android devices with all of the things that folks love about BlackBerry 10 and all of the things they love about Android.

A BlackBerry device that runs the full Android OS and comes with the BlackBerry 10 Hub, Contacts, Calendar, Universal search and your choice of either an amazing virtual keyboard or physical QWERTY keyboard would be pretty attractive to me at least. BlackBerry could have made a very unique Android device.

Instead, all of those things will be available on hardware not made by BlackBerry. I personally find it a bit dissappointing that they didn't at least try it. But am curious what everyone else thinks.
    03-01-15 03:11 PM
    I think no blackberry should not do this
    03-01-15 03:16 PM
    Wow. Chen continues to surprise me!

From what I've read so far, my take is that BB10 is done. All the best bits of BB10 will be available as Apps for Android, iOS, and WinPhone sometime this year. So why would anyone buy a BB10 handset?

I also reckon that the day when BB starts to build Android handsets came closer with this announcement. It might still not be profitable to build/compete in that crowded space, in which case the hardware division will close, but I don't see a future for BB10 handsets beyond what already exists.
    Witmen and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    03-01-15 03:33 PM
    It's an interesting situation, and while it may give less reason to buy a BlackBerry device, it also offers significantly more revenue potential.

BlackBerry can sell one device and make $3-$15 on their margin, or they can sell subscription to this and make that much in 6mo (or less) and then make even more revenue over the life of that device and any other non-bb device that user buys.

Now enterprise can allow employees to use their iOS or android device, but still have them using things like balance and hub to ensure security and efficiency. The revenue potential is huge and it will help users realize the benefits of BlackBerry so that maybe it will be their choice next time

BB for Life
    03-01-15 03:35 PM
    Everybody gotta take a wait and see approach. Let's just see how this all plays out.

Posted via CB10
    Jrox74 likes this.
    03-01-15 03:40 PM
    It's an interesting situation, and while it may give less reason to buy a BlackBerry device, it also offers significantly more revenue potential.
    Indeed, the potential to make money here is huge. But the question is, would they have been better off putting all of those exclusive BlackBerry 10 features onto their own Android devices instead? They could have been the only maker of Android devices with BB10's features, but now they won't have that oppurtunity.
    03-01-15 03:40 PM
    Well part of the appeal of owning a BlackBerry device is because of the features of Bb10.

Good thing this is only for the enterprise side.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 03:41 PM

From what I've read so far, my take is that BB10 is done. All the best bits of BB10 will be available as Apps for Android, iOS, and WinPhone sometime this year. So why would anyone buy a BB10 handset?
    I agree completely. Chen has a lot to say about how committed to the hardware business he is, but all of his actions scream the exact opposite. Almost everything he has done while in office has resulted in the further stripping away of any chance BB10 has of succeeding. It really is crazy to watch.
    03-01-15 03:47 PM
    Please NOOOOOOOO!!!! I got away from Android for a reason that is the experience is HORRIFIC!!! It freezes, crashes, lags and full of glitches. I'm happy Blackberry came up with BB10. It's a refreshing experience and by far the most intuitive swiping OS on the market. I have used the Passport since October and never once has it crash on me.
    03-01-15 03:47 PM
    Well part of the appeal of owning a BlackBerry device is because of the features of Bb10.

Posted via CB10
    That doesn't appear to be the case. Even things like BBM protected is available to consumers without a BES subscription. Also, Chen has said he plans on focusing on enterprise, but always making the things they do available to consumers as well.
    03-01-15 03:48 PM

Posted via CB10
    My reading of Chen's statement doesn't lead me to conclude that this affects only enterprise. For example, the specifically mentioned Hub isn't enterprise only.

If the features of BB10 are available on other platforms, the appeal of owning a BB device must wane. (unless of course you're a physical keyboard devotee).

P.S. Witmen and me are different people... we just seem to agree on this and have posted much the same response, at much the same time. LOL
    03-01-15 03:52 PM
    I don't see this too negatively. It's an opportunity for BlackBerry to make money on their software products and their strengths in that market without having to establish a high presence in the hardware market first.

They can show that they are around and striving to move forward with their products. They can make their name big again and once that has happened, many more will consider buying a BlackBerry handset. Until then, they just keep up their game as a niche player in the hardware business which has worked much better under John Chen, so no worries about that.

Posted via CB10
    thymaster likes this.
    03-01-15 04:10 PM
    Software and services are a better way to make money than manufacturing. Ask just about every single manufacturer that makes an Android device. All the while Facebook, WhatsApp and Google are worth/making billions offering services. Sure there is still money on the materials side, but you have to get in early and grab what you can.

If I was BB, I would push my software and services division everywhere and have a very small contract only materials division for my niche devices.
    03-01-15 04:14 PM
    Please NOOOOOOOO!!!! I got away from Android for a reason that is the experience is HORRIFIC!!! It freezes, crashes, lags and full of glitches. I'm happy Blackberry came up with BB10. It's a refreshing experience and by far the most intuitive swiping OS on the market. I have used the Passport since October and never once has it crash on me.
    My niece just switched from an iPhone to an S5. Every so often I hear her cursing and ask why, she replies her phone just crashed and is rebooting. Not to say my 2 year old Z10 never crashes, but it seems to crash and lag far less than her S5.

The trade off is she can do more things natively on her S5. The hardware on the flagship Androids is nice, it's not nice enough for me to want that OS.

So I guess in answer to the OP's question, I would probably prefer Android hardware with BB10 as the OS.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-15 04:42 PM
    Long term this is probably good for the company and its share price. It probably isn't good for the handset division.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-01-15 05:05 PM
    CrackAndroidBerry. Get used to it
    03-01-15 08:51 PM
    Overreactions as usual. If the software isn't free and a subscription. The best way to experience BlackBerry is still BlackBerry hardware. No subscription to use bb10

Posted via CB10
    TheQuietRioter likes this.
    03-01-15 09:50 PM
    Overreactions as usual. If the software isn't free and a subscription. The best way to experience BlackBerry is still BlackBerry hardware. No subscription to use bb10

Posted via CB10
    really!....When we buy a Berry we also buy a suscription (included in the price of the device)...And Blackberry devices has always been higher in price than any other phone on the market . $ value/specs.
    03-01-15 11:09 PM
    If there still trying to build hardware division, as they've said then it's a horrible idea. BBM is one thing but every exclusive feature? What reason are you giving people to buy a BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    Witmen and JeepBB like this.
    03-01-15 11:12 PM

I also reckon that the day when BB starts to build Android handsets came closer with this announcement. It might still not be profitable to build/compete in that crowded space, in which case the hardware division will close, but I don't see a future for BB10 handsets beyond what already exists.
    I wonder if ppl ever get tired of declaring the end of BlackBerry and Bb10. It's not quite like beating a dead horse - more like the darn thing won't die so we'll keep on beating till it does.

Personally OP - I don't like the Android OS at all, so for me, having BB10 features on an Android wouldn't be good enough.

Currently I actually know more ppl switching back to BlackBerry from androids and iphones than at anytime in the past 4 years. I'm not sure if having some BB10 features on their phones would stop that as the number 1 reason I'm hearing is due to the keyboard, but it certainly is an interesting move.

Chen is leveraging BB10 in ways I didn't even believe were possible. I'm looking forward to see what else he has in store. I'm hopeful that hardware sales continue to be a part of BlackBerry - and I haven't heard anything different so far. But if, eventually, BlackBerry stopped making Blackberries - then I believe another phone manufacturer will fill that gap. There are just too many ppl who don't want Android or Apple phones. There will always be someone catering to the outliers.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 10:18 PM