The usual, I searched already blah blah blah.
    Im on AT&T Bold. I know I'm on WiFi with Opera Mini because my ip at What Is My IP Address? - IP Address Lookup, Internet Speed Test, IP Info, plus more is the same on my berry as it is on my home PC. My Native browser is the problem. It doesn't matter if I change the default browser to hotspot or internet browser, the IP comes back as Waterloo, Canada. The speeds on the Native browser are obviously fast and it has to be utilizing WiFi, but why is my IP showing Waterloo, CA? Opera Mini doesnt do this, and I am flummoxed...please explain.
    04-26-09 07:53 PM
    well, do you use BIS or BES? If so, doesn't all that traffic get compressed and go through RIM's servers?
    04-27-09 07:49 PM
    I'm on BIS. Its very strange that a 3rd party app, Opera, is showing the correct IP and the native bb browser isn't. Or does everyones bb browser show Waterloo as the IP when on WiFi?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-27-09 08:56 PM
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada is the home of RIM's base of operations.

Opera mini from what I've read - accesses the internet directly (or through proxies) and thus explaining why you may see your true ip address.

As mentioned beforehand, I think all BIS/BES data (native browser, etc.) goes through RIM's servers (ensuring privacy, security, and blah-blah). Oh, I've read their servers compresses data like crazy too.
    04-27-09 11:01 PM
    Interesting. So even on WiFi, RIM servers are used? I'm baffled as to how that is true WiFi.

04-28-09 08:18 PM
    Interesting. So even on WiFi, RIM servers are used? I'm baffled as to how that is true WiFi.
    Yes, RIM servers are used. That is just for web traffic though, other protocols can use a direct connection. The server end gives you a page formatted specifically for your BB size. For example, if you went to the crackberry.com regular front page, it would take a longer time to load if it was loading directly, all images would be downloaded at their full resolution and have to be resized on the fly by your device. That would be a huge waste of bandwidth and processor usage and would be very slow. By the data passing through RIMS servers the images for example will be scaled down to something viewable on the BB screen. There is also compression that happens between the BB and RIM servers to speed up loading times.

Now I dont have all the technical details of how all of it works, but these are my theories based on what I have seen. Maybe someone with more knowledge on the subject can chime in here.

Btw Opera does use a proxy as well, they are just passing your IP address on to the server you are connecting to, but it still goes through them first.
    04-28-09 09:33 PM
    Interesting info Shao, thanks for the comment. Makes sense to me.

04-29-09 09:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD