My boyfriend and I are having a friendly debate concerning BB messenger and how we notified if a text has been read.

I told him that I understood it would go from a "d" to an "r" in two ways:

One, if the person clicks on bb on the front
    Two, if a person picks up a bb where the chat is left open and they click in the text boxes where there is currently only a "d".

He says: that I am correct about clicking on the bb icon, but, that if he leaves his a bb messenger chat window open that the message automatically changes from a "d" to an "r"

This is important to know because I will send him a text and I will see it go from "d" to "r" when chat is open. Or I get a bb icon notification on the front.
    So, to me, that means if it goes from "d" to "r" on his phone with it open, that someone else is reading his messages.

This issue has caused some communication problems because I see it change to "r" right in front of me and he will not answer the message nor will he mention it on the phone. But, I thought, of course, he had.

I believe someone at his office is reading his texts, but, he says he doesn't know, but, with clarification from this board, he will accept what I or any of you say.

He is an elected official and sometimes has proprietary information sent to him. So, what do you say?
    08-21-10 05:23 PM
    If the conversation in BBM is opened or is already open, the message will be marked with an "R".
    08-21-10 05:47 PM
    from what ive seen, if the chat is open and a new message is sent, it wont turn to an "R" until they click in the window.

and when the window is closed, they "R" will only show when when the actual chat is opened.
    08-21-10 06:26 PM
    Why don't you two see for yourselves if you both have berries?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-10 07:43 PM
    from what ive seen, if the chat is open and a new message is sent, it wont turn to an "R" until they click in the window.

and when the window is closed, they "R" will only show when when the actual chat is opened.
    This has been my experience. The R button will also show if the receiver pushes their bb button, regardless of whether they've actually read it.
    08-22-10 06:19 PM
    If you send someone a BBM message the "D" means that the actual message has
    been received by that person's phone so a notification should be there for that
    person.

If he opens up BBM he can read a partial part of that message in the preview part.
    This all depends on how long that actual message is. If he does only that it will
    still be only marked as "D"

If he actually opens up the chat box it's now marked as "R." Now if you send him a
    message while the actual chat box is open it won't mark as "R" until there is some
    sort of keyboard activity. Even a simple scroll of the trackball/pad would mark it
    as "R." But if there is no activity it's still marked as "D" no matter what. I have
    tested this myself numerous times to make sure.

An empty check mark means that the person hasn't even gotten a notification on
    his phone yet. Could be for a number of reasons. Out of range, phone is off, etc.
    08-22-10 06:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD