So I have my eyes on a BlackBerry 7 device. Let's just say it holds sentimental value question for the community is I have gotten used to BlackBerry Q10. It's been my main phone for a while now. Anyone here go back to an older BlackBerry from BlackBerry 10? Experience? Thoughts? I am not a big apps user. I am constantly on the road and just need strong sms, email, phone, and calendar. And I miss the trackpad haha. Thanks and enjoy your weekend! Going to see arcade fire tonight in NYC! Woo hoo!

Posted via CB10
    08-22-14 04:33 PM
    You've been thinking about it for a longer time as far as I have observed your posts, so it seems you really want to try the move. I'd say just do it - there's not much to lose and you can still switch back to the Q10.

My opinion, though, is still the same. I don't think you'll be happy with OS7 on the long run. It may have sentimental value and the legacy devices are sweet indeed, but I bet you'll realize that their capabilities are so limited nowadays.
    Elite1 likes this.
    08-22-14 05:03 PM
    You've been thinking about it for a longer time as far as I have observed your posts, so it seems you really want to try the move. I'd say just do it - there's not much to lose and you can still switch back to the Q10.

My opinion, though, is still the same. I don't think you'll be happy with OS7 on the long run. It may have sentimental value and the legacy devices are sweet indeed, but I bet you'll realize that their capabilities are so limited nowadays.
    Please define "long run"? Haha. Yeah. I might have to go back to two devices? Not sure.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-14 05:05 PM
    So I have my eyes on a BlackBerry 7 device. Let's just say it holds sentimental value question for the community is I have gotten used to BlackBerry Q10. It's been my main phone for a while now. Anyone here go back to an older BlackBerry from BlackBerry 10? Experience? Thoughts? I am not a big apps user. I am constantly on the road and just need strong sms, email, phone, and calendar. And I miss the trackpad haha. Thanks and enjoy your weekend! Going to see arcade fire tonight in NYC! Woo hoo!

Posted via CB10
    If you need a communication device, the 99xx device beats everything hands down (IMHO). Phone and emails are the best. App selection is less than poor and the browser is slow.

However, it does utilize BIS and the data compression, so you'll save $ where your data usage is concerned.

I have a Q10, Z10 and a Z30 and I use my 9900 over half of the time. The "tool belt", quality of build and the data compression keep calling me back.

You have to do what's right for you, but I just can't give up my 9900!!
    acovey likes this.
    08-22-14 05:10 PM
    If you need a communication device, the 99xx device beats everything hands down (IMHO). Phone and emails are the best. App selection is less than poor and the browser is slow.

However, it does utilize BIS and the data compression, so you'll save $ where your data usage is concerned.

I have a Q10, Z10 and a Z30 and I use my 9900 over half of the time. The "tool belt", quality of build and the data compression keep calling me back.

Dude thanks! Exactly what I needed to hear. Totally forgot about data compression. Honestly I just hardly use apps. I curse Apple (not Steve jobs because he never pushed for apps) for making it all about apps. And forgetting why we use a phone in the first place: communication

Posted via CB10
    Frehley likes this.
    08-22-14 05:17 PM

Also. What about 3G vs 4G? Really does it make a big difference?

Posted via CB10
    08-22-14 05:18 PM

Posted via CB10
    Depends on your carrier. Verizon 3G is total crap, Very slow. I don't think they have 4G other than 4GLTE. T-Mobile and AT&T have good 3G/4G.
    08-22-14 05:25 PM

Posted via CB10
    It really doesn't matter with the legacy device. The phone and SMS messages will not be affected, browser might be slower, but with the everything running through BB's servers, resulting in the data compression, the difference will be negligible.
    Last edited by Frehley; 08-22-14 at 05:26 PM. Reason: spelling
    08-22-14 05:25 PM
    Depends on your carrier. Verizon 3G is total crap, Very slow. I don't think they have 4G other than 4GLTE. T-Mobile and AT&T have good 3G/4G.
    Good point about the specific carrier. I have AT&T and the the 4G service is solid.
    08-22-14 05:28 PM
    here's two cents if can share
    I carry a 9630 - the VZW Tour, and stuck on OS5 (dont laugh too hard) - the one with no wifi! for calls, texts and BBM and a Z device (10/30) for media content
    the tour doesn't go over 250MB a month and I use it ALOT and the battery lasts all day!
    the z device is on the T-Mobile plan, gets 5GB LTE data and spend less than $95 a month for both

As the other posters have said go back to OS7 and get your oldschool fix [=
    Frehley and Nauwiesbande like this.
    08-22-14 05:58 PM
    here's two cents if can share
    I carry a 9630 - the VZW Tour, and stuck on OS5 (dont laugh too hard) - the one with no wifi! for calls, texts and BBM and a Z device (10/30) for media content
    the tour doesn't go over 250MB a month and I use it ALOT and the battery lasts all day!
    the z device is on the T-Mobile plan, gets 5GB LTE data and spend less than $95 a month for both

As the other posters have said go back to OS7 and get your oldschool fix [=
    Dude thanks. Sounds good

Posted via CB10
    08-22-14 06:16 PM
    I've used a Z30 and a Q10 - both fantastic devices. But for sheer communication goodness, nothing can match my Bold 9930!

It's such a well built device and a joy to use. The keyboard + tool belt + touch screen make the best user interface of any smartphone I've ever used.

And I agree about the BIS data compression - it's really cut down on my data usage.

Verizon 3G is not "crap". I've gotten 5+ Mbps download and that's not bad at all for 3G.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 via the CB Forums app
    flyingsolid likes this.
    08-22-14 06:59 PM
    I've used a Z30 and a Q10 - both fantastic devices. But for sheer communication goodness, nothing can match my Bold 9930!

It's such a well built device and a joy to use. The keyboard + tool belt + touch screen make the best user interface of any smartphone I've ever used.

And I agree about the BIS data compression - it's really cut down on my data usage.

Verizon 3G is not "crap". I've gotten 5+ Mbps download and that's not bad at all for 3G.

Hey I'm not trying to be insulting. I have Verizon. I tried a 9930 a while back and was so disgusted by the 3G speeds that I got rid of the phone. I thought the 9930 was an awesome phone, but the slow speeds and not being able to get used to the physical keyboard was why I went to all touch (Z10 and Z30) and never looked back.
    08-22-14 09:43 PM
    Hey I'm not trying to be insulting. I have Verizon. I tried a 9930 a while back and was so disgusted by the 3G speeds that I got rid of the phone. I thought the 9930 was an awesome phone, but the slow speeds and not being able to get used to the physical keyboard was why I went to all touch (Z10 and Z30) and never looked back.
    Hey, no worries. I always say get what you want and be happy.

08-22-14 09:50 PM
    Hey, no worries. I always say get what you want and be happy.

So true, Thanks.
    08-22-14 09:51 PM

I love hearing this. THIS is why I fell in love with BlackBerry. Ok. Before weekend's end. I am pulling out my Amex card and buying my first ever unlocked phone. Thanks. This community. This cb community is seriously the best. I checked out the others. BlackBerry has the best fanboy/fangirls I ever seen. Love. All the way.

Posted via CB10
    08-23-14 02:18 AM
    ...just need strong sms, email, phone, and calendar. And I miss the trackpad...

Posted via CB10
    If those are your needs then go for it. :-)

Posted from an ME173X
    08-23-14 02:55 AM
    If those are your needs then go for it. :-)

Posted from an ME173X
    Hey. Just curious. What's your "daily driver" of choice. Ha.

Posted via CB10
    08-23-14 03:55 AM
    Glad to see you will give it a go !

Let us know what you think , when you receive it.
    08-23-14 04:01 AM

Sure. Will do! Last question for GSM phones...AT&T or T-Mobile? I need to port my number...

Posted via CB10
    08-23-14 04:47 AM

Getting delivered in about 3-5 business days. Can't wait. Christmas came early this year I guess...haha

Posted via CB10
    08-23-14 04:57 AM
    Hey. Just curious. What's your "daily driver" of choice. Ha.

Posted via CB10
    My work phone is a 9790 while my "fun" phone's an LG G2 Mini.

Posted from a D618
    08-23-14 05:08 AM
    My work phone is a 9790 while my "fun" phone's an LG G2 Mini.

Posted from a D618
    Nice! I guess I will need an iphone as a secondary? But I want to spend as minimal as possible. I'm think t-mobile for the iphone? AT&T for the BlackBerry? I'm in the nyc metro area by the way.

Posted via CB10
    08-23-14 05:12 AM
    I know it's controversial. But this is the phone I just bought. Yikes!
    Only 9 left in stock: switch back to BB7?-tumblr_mhwiif9jyh1qdy6ifo1_1280.jpg

Posted via CB10
    08-23-14 05:13 AM
    Nice! I guess I will need an iphone as a secondary? But I want to spend as minimal as possible. I'm think t-mobile for the iphone? AT&T for the BlackBerry? I'm in the nyc metro area by the way.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry can't help you with that one. I'm way out of that area and on a different continent. ;-)

Posted from a D618
    08-23-14 05:25 AM
69 123