Sorry for the most basic of questions but I swear I couldn't find the answer when searching....

Is there an easy way to set up a "one touch" button to silence your phone so it doesn't ring at all during meetings, while playing golf, etc.?

I know you can lock it (but it still rings), turn it off (but then you have to turn it on again to see who called you), hit a button AFTER is starts ringing and your boss looks at you like you're an *****, go into your Profile and change the ringing to Mute (but this takes a few steps and is a hassle - and yes, I'm lazy)...

Please tell me you can set up one of these "one touch" buttons to silence the damned thing.

DC
    08-01-08 10:02 AM
    Good question, Id like to know the answer to this too
    08-01-08 10:06 AM
    You can hit the F button and scroll to Profile "Off" - two clicks is too much?
    08-01-08 10:09 AM
    You can set a side convenience key to go to Profiles, then quickly switch to another profile such as Vibrate or even one you made. There is no one-button shortcut on the Curve as far as I know.
    08-01-08 10:12 AM
    the Bold has one button at the top of the unit, and it does exactly what you are asking. It mutes the ringers, etc.
    08-01-08 10:13 AM
    You can hit the F button and scroll to Profile "Off" - two clicks is too much?
    Just to add - to use the F shortcut, you'll need to disable Dialing from Home Screen.
    08-01-08 10:13 AM
    Just to add - to use the F shortcut, you'll need to disable Dialing from Home Screen.
    Yes, thanks. Forgot to mention that.
    08-01-08 10:25 AM
    The best way to do this (IMO) is to turn off Dialing from Home Screen and utilize the plethora of keyboard shortcuts! (yeah, I know you love the big words! )

On top of this allowing you to Press 'F' to access your profiles, it also allows you to open up a number of other features!

You can still dial like your normall would, just press the SEND button first!
    Your speed dial still works

'F' : Profiles
    'K' : Lock
    'M' : Messages
    'C' : Compose
    'Q' : Compose SMS (get a free app called qSMS and it adds this shortcut)
    'N' : BlackBerry Messenger
    'S' : Search
    'O' : Options
    'T' : Task List
    'L' : Calendar
    'B' : Browser

*EDIT* : I am an id!ot and just remembered the latest 'Keyboard Shortcuts' in my signature has all of these!

W - WAP Browser
    R - Alarm
    T - Tasks
    U - Calculator
    O - Options
    A - Address Book
    S - Search
    D - Notes
    F - Profiles
    H - Help
    K - Lock keypad
    L - Calendar
    M - Messages
    B - Browser
    N - BlackBerry Messenger
    V - Saved messages
    C - Compose
    You can see there are a couple that I missed initially. Maybe because I do not use them? Who knows...? But that list also does not include 'Q' for qSMS!!
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 08-01-08 at 10:42 AM.
    08-01-08 10:38 AM
    Thanks all - as for the laziness of not wanting to do two steps...I am coming from a Treo that had a switch on top to mute the whole phone without having to look down at the screen. I was hoping I could do that with one of the shortcut/side keys, but it seems that I need to do the profile thang...

Note to BB developers - PLEASE create a BB that has this in the future - or let me use the volume keys and hold down "volume down" until the ringer/sound volumes are at zero!!!
    08-01-08 11:27 AM
    You can do this without looking... if you can press the 'F','Q', trackball... which results in Profiles > Quiet > Select

Shortcuts are your friends when you do not have a better way to do it!!
    08-01-08 11:29 AM
    Maybe I misunderstood but there is an easy easy way to one touch mute. Just hold down the pound key to toggle between vibrate and default. I use this all the time and it works beautifully.

Once again just hold down pound and viola, no ringer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-08 11:30 AM
    Maybe I misunderstood but there is an easy easy way to one touch mute. Just hold down the pound key to toggle between vibrate and default. I use this all the time and it works beautifully.

Once again just hold down pound and viola, no ringer.

You have a Pearl... we are all using Curves or the likes

I wish we had the same sorta thing, and God only knows why we do not! But we don't... so we make due...
    08-01-08 11:41 AM
    You could always use a holster or case with a sleep magnet. Set it to be silent/vibrate when in the holster.

That is what I do.
    08-01-08 03:23 PM
    the Bold has one button at the top of the unit, and it does exactly what you are asking. It mutes the ringers, etc.
    You sure about that? I haven't heard that info. I mean my curve has a button at the top that will mute ringers that have started, but I don't think that's what the op was asking about.

08-01-08 03:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
";