I don't understand what argument for/against is being made here? Want to keep it civil and logic, and I don't understand, I'm sorry
    I'm saying that fingerprint unlocking, in light of this ruling, is not the next great big thing in security--even the ZDNet article kind of acknowledges that ("Perhaps the irony is that fingerprint technology was meant to make devices more secure for consumers and enterprises alike, and not easier to gain access to by government agencies." Of course, the 'government agencies' part is being downplayed by many here--that fingerprint tech was not supposed to be able to stop wanton government access.)
    11-03-14 09:16 PM
    Just because you don't expect them to doesn't mean we should give up the right so they can do this
    Nobody is even arguing that here. What is argued here is whether Touch ID is a good security measure despite the fact that for some governments it may be easier to gain access to a phone with it enabled. Coercion and force are always risks with biometric security mechanisms, there is nothing about Touch ID that would prevent that, nor did anyone claim that. That is a just standard a fingerprint scanner can never achieve. However, I argue that Touch ID is still a good security mechanism for most people, by which I mean, people that care more about unwanted access by thieves, strangers or even family and friends. Against those, Touch ID is very reliable and still convenient. That is the aim of Touch ID.

I don't understand what argument for/against is being made here? Want to keep it civil and logic, and I don't understand, I'm sorry
    I don’t follow it anymore either. This community has such a painfully cynical attitude towards everything Apple here, it would be laughable if it weren’t so sad.

I'm saying that fingerprint unlocking, in light of this ruling, is not the next great big thing in security--even the ZDNet article kind of acknowledges that ("Perhaps the irony is that fingerprint technology was meant to make devices more secure for consumers and enterprises alike, and not easier to gain access to by government agencies." Of course, the 'government agencies' part is being downplayed by many here--that fingerprint tech was not supposed to be able to stop wanton government access.)
    I am tired of this constant framing. Just avoid Touch ID if you’re that concerned about it and let millions of users enjoy it. For them, Touch ID is a good security mechanism and a lot more practical than a four-digit passcode. Not everyone is worried that authorities gain access to their phones. Fix the legal system first before blaming the unavoidable human element of biometric security. I’m sure there exist countries out there that apply torture to coerce people into giving up their passwords. That doesn’t make passwords inherently insecure either.
    MarsupilamiX, TGR1 and asherN like this.
    11-04-14 06:36 AM
    The point here is that Apple touts a security feature, and it gets smacked down in the real world. And all the suggestions here are...do it the old country way--put a password.
    Fingerprint security seems to work fine for me. Do you haven any evidence that the default 4 digit passcode is more secure? because it isn't. Is this ruling a setback? Of course, but to extrapolate from it that a passcode (assuming the default 4 digit) is now more secure is purely inane.

I know this is an anti apple crusade for you but use a little common sense, in the real world a fingerprint is far more secure than your 4 digit code, which is probably your birthdate anyway.

As far as the law goes, it'll be appealed and overturned, obviously...
    Last edited by xandermac; 11-04-14 at 08:51 AM.
    11-04-14 08:03 AM
    If police have a court search warrant, then they can access your stuff. They can request access with your help, or cracking into your phone, pc, accounts etc, as permitted.

These laws were brought in to allow for criminal prosecution. Think child molesters, mobsters, terrorists, etc.
    It's a sign of the times we live. Nothing should be considered beyond reach, except your thoughts in your head...though even that may be changing in the near future as MRI methods get better at visualizing the activity in the brain.

Flicked out via Zed30
    The key word there was warrant.

Posted via CB10
    xandermac likes this.
    11-04-14 08:34 AM
    Still say having the option with a warring would be fine. "Caution: If you are afraid of the Police being able to obtain information on this device, do not use the fingerprint scanner to lock your device." There was a poll here once on the number of people that admited that they don't even use a password on their BlackBerry... it was almost 25% did not. Most of them, and even some of the ones that do would be fine with the scanner option.

Just think that if has become a pretty common option for flagship devices (iPhone 5 6 6+, HTC One Max, Galaxy S5, Note4).... I'm sure there are many that don't use the fingerprint scanner, some might not notice image stabilization, and very few will take advantage of the Water Resistance of some new devices. But these are seen as FEATURES that make a Flagship device a true leader in their class, regardless of if they are used or not.
    MarsupilamiX and anon8656116 like this.
    11-04-14 09:40 AM
    If someone was worried about this then why not just turn fingerprint to unlock off? I swear the lengths some of you guys will go to to prove a point that is meaningless always amazes me.
    11-04-14 10:46 AM
    The WHOLE Point is that people are having their phones gone through by authorities for no good reason and this judge just made it easier for them. The only reason I mentioned fingerprint is because that was the subject of the ruling.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 11:14 AM
    The WHOLE Point is that people are having their phones gone through by authorities for no good reason and this judge just made it easier for them. The only reason I mentioned fingerprint is because that was the subject of the ruling.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not sure about "easier". They can't use force to make you unlock the phone, they can try to pressure you into doing it. You can still refuse to do so but now they'll be able to level a new charge against you I'm sure.

Regardless, if they want into your phone they'll find a way in no matter who made it or how it's secured.
    anon8656116 likes this.
    11-04-14 11:24 AM
    I'm not sure about "easier". They can't use force to make you unlock the phone, they can try to pressure you into doing it. You can still refuse to do so but now they'll be able to level a new charge against you I'm sure.

Regardless, if they want into your phone they'll find a way in no matter who made it or how it's secured.
    In my opinion, the bigger worry is the erosion of civil rights, not the security mechanism itself. Apple didn’t have the interests of government in mind when they introduced Touch ID, but the concerns of the average user. As someone mentioned above, it will only be a matter of time before we have the technology to ‘read’ people’s minds and it will surely occur to lawmakers and courts that this can be used to gain access to password-protected devices and data. Instead of pushing away legitimate attempts at improving our security, what Touch ID still does, we should be targeting the lawmakers to ensure that our privacy is protected. That doesn’t mean that Touch ID is a bad feature.
    11-04-14 02:03 PM
    Exactly

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 02:18 PM
    Well, since the Passport can be used to browse your genome it theoretically can be used to make a clone. Then they can get into your Touch ID anyway.
    12-08-14 07:11 AM
    Well, since the Passport can be used to browse your genome it theoretically can be used to make a clone. Then they can get into your Touch ID anyway.
    After the brilliance in that post, maybe they should start with your genome. Humanity could use some illumination.

I should buy a Passport and read a recipe on it. Then it will make me theoretical sandwiches.
    12-08-14 12:21 PM
    I agree with not having such a security method enabled due to the law ; but I disagree with supreme justices ruling on this.

The legal system and representatives that uphold it ALL know that it's knowledge of your fingerprint being unique is used to circumvent 5th ammendment rights - JUST (pun intended) as the pend in your hand writing a deposition that CAN BE USED AGAINST you in a court of law.

BlackBerry - Accept no substitute. Period!
    12-09-14 12:46 AM
    After the brilliance in that post, maybe they should start with your genome. Humanity could use some illumination.

I should buy a Passport and read a recipe on it. Then it will make me theoretical sandwiches.
    Illumination or did you mean elimination? Hmm.

BlackBerry - Accept no substitute. Period!
    12-09-14 12:47 AM
    The smartphone war among fans of different brands is absurd. If Touch ID had been a BlackBerry innovation, the attitude of so many people here would be so very different. Likewise, if BlackBerry implements a fingerprint scanner at some point in the future, the opinions of many will change.

Fingerprint scanning is what it is. It's good in some ways and not so good in others. If you are worried about physical coercion by the police or anyone else, you should use a pin instead. This would give you at least the option of saying you forgot the PIN, although if there is a threat of violence, I'd opt to just tell the pin.

For most people though, Touch ID is a convenient way to stop most thieves. If you like the idea of using a fingerprint instead of a password to prevent theft and snooping, which I do, then Touch ID is awesome. It is a very very good implementation. If you don't think Touch ID is innovative, then I'd say you haven't used the different implementations that have been put in other smartphones. There is such a a clear winner in terms of usability, there is really no comparison. I hope BlackBerry gets something like it in the future.
    TGR1 likes this.
    12-09-14 04:44 AM
    Picture Password.

Although, after 5 tries PP will go back to alphanumeric password

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    You can always forget your password (if required)... chopping off your finger, would be a bit drastic!

Z10STL100-2/10.2.2.1531
    12-17-14 08:04 PM
    http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/30/tech...gerprint-hack/

In one demonstration, the dummy print was able to trick Apple's TouchID (which controls Apple Pay).
    12-30-14 08:40 AM
    And a very simple hack too it would seem......
    01-14-15 07:39 AM
    According to Qwerty4ever (CB member), Police forensic software can get into a BB10 phone. He wouldn't give any further details, said he saw it demonstrated or something on a conference or at a training seminar or similar.
    It is very feasible that such software can access the contents of a password-protected, UNencrypted (i.e., normal consumer) device. Keep in mind that, by default, device encryption is turned OFF, so this is the state that most people's (non-BES) devices are in. It's also why iOS8 and Android 5.0 Lollipop made news: these versions turned encryption ON by default, for the first time (encryption had been available long before, but like BB10, it was OFF by default).

I strongly doubt that any information is accessible if the device is encrypted, regardless of brand, which is why the FBI and other police agencies threw such a fit about iOS8 and Lollipop: it's going to take that forensic tool away from them in many cases.
    01-14-15 08:56 AM
69 123