To anyone deciding on a smart phone that *is* interested in media, not just messaging, I'd like to offer what I consider to be the main benefit of Blackberries (Storm aside) over iphones/droids: consuming and interacting with media using only one thumb. Every morning I ride the subway to work, and usually have to stand for most of the journey, which means one hand on the rail to brace myself. Holding the Tour in my other hand with just my thumb as an input I can *easily* scroll around my news apps like NYT, Bloomberg, NYDN. My experience with touch screens is that you have to use one hand to hold the phone, the other to input; or trying to use the iphone with one hand involves a lot of repositioning with your four fingers and straining your thumb. And this isn't just for rocky subway rides, even for walking around with Google Maps or anytime you're on the go, I find it makes a big difference being able to interact with your device and keep one hand free.

Other oft-unconsidered point: the medium is the message! When you're walking around downtown/the office/your work area, and people see you on an iPhone/Droid, they assume you're screwing around with some new gimmicky app, or just otherwise being unproductive. But if you're on a BB, they'll allow that you may in fact be hard at work... over the weeks and months this adds up!
    07-08-10 01:18 PM
    Well stated. 1 hand usage is not often considered an advantage.
    07-08-10 01:50 PM
    Good point. I disagree with the 2nd point though.

I'm not a speedophile but I find it really convenient to have everything "under one thumb", especially with Quicklaunch! I was sold on the trackpad the first time I had my BB - coming from D-pads on the Nokia E63 it's so much faster to navigate around the phone.
    07-08-10 02:07 PM
    Does the trackpad work with gloves on?

07-08-10 02:09 PM
    For me the trackpad is the best way to navigate a phone, that's one reason I love my BB. And yes, it does work with gloves on

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-10 02:09 PM
    Does the trackpad work with gloves on
    Yes, yes it does. Why do you ask?
    07-08-10 02:10 PM
    I perfected the art of one handed media browsing years ago on my PC. My BB is merely an extension of that.
    07-08-10 02:11 PM
    Absolutely it is under-appreciated! It's one of my favourite aspects of my Storm2. It is super easy to use with one hand, especially with SureType and SurePress. 90% of the time I'm using it with only my left hand (the convenience keys, also another underrated feature, seem to be better positioned for left-handed usage).
    This is why I have no interest in any devices that has a super large screen, especially without SureType. I can't imagine being forced to use both hands, especially if I'm trying to carry something. Now I hope the Storm3 will come with a trackpad�

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-10 02:49 PM
    My main reason for not wanting a touch screen. Even more of a reason to stay away of the phones that require a stylus!

I have used Palms for years, two TX's and an E2. I even have an inferred keyboard for them. They have their place.

No touch screen phone for me - EVER!
    07-08-10 05:39 PM
    Though I agree with the 1 handed navigation being awesome on my Tour,

my iPod touch I can navigate with 1 hand as well when listening to my audiobooks, I just have to slide my thumb over the unlock and then press the music app and navigate all can be done on the bottom inch of the screen, though I do have to look down at it, I don't with the tour.

and don't think I'm an apple fan at all, I HATE my ipod touch, it is a Audiobook player, and a photo album and that is it. because of how crappy the OS is to deal with, and iTunes.
    07-08-10 08:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD