You get what you pay for folks.

I'd rather buy myself even a Q5 or BB Leap, than any Android cheap device!!!

What do you think about this ??

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f7e_1426272151
    03-13-15 04:57 PM
    What's not mentioned in that article, is that all that information can be opted out of, or cleared at any time. And guess what, the same information is mined if you're using the same services on a BB device.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
    03-13-15 05:18 PM
    What's not mentioned in that article, is that all that information can be opted out of, or cleared at any time. And guess what, the same information is mined if you're using the same services on a BB device.

Well, the sad part is, that you have to opt it out. But what, if you don't know that from the start? That was always Googles tactic. And that's all about. These kind of stuff are not consumer friendly.
    03-13-15 05:26 PM
    Well, the sad part is, that you have to opt it out. But what, if you don't know that from the start? That was always Googles tactic. And that's all about. These kind of stuff are not consumer friendly.
    Actually, it's an opt in feature. You're given not just a warning, but a confirmation afterwards. Thanks for playing though.

03-13-15 05:27 PM
    That's been known for quite a while.
    If you read the comments on LL about this video that pretty much sums it up on a larger scale.
    No one really cares. The masses have numbed to the fact that their privacy is violated on a daily basis. The old argument "I have nothing to hide so why should I care" is the norm.

Government and big corporations know the public sentiment on these issues and have taken full advantage of it. And if you're one of those that values privacy, you raise alarms and flags. Because someone who values their privacy definitely has something to hide in their eyes.

People are too caught up in their daily lives or enamoured and distracted with the latest shiny new tech gadgets to care about their privacy.
    All those people who line up overnight to be the first to get the newest smartphone, do they really care about privacy? Nope. And they're the new generation of smartphone users.

Privacy is a thing of the past. It's an illusion. Sad to say we have given up privacy for the conveniences of what technology has to offer.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 05:33 PM
    Interesting I didn't know that. If I get bored I will look up mine for my samsung phone. As mentioned though it won't change anyone's opinion.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 06:13 PM

No one can opt out of Google's "meta data" collection, as they deem that data non personally identifiable and proprietary. This data is collected from every Android device and every other device that happens by a Google provided ad. This data is not the same data you can delete in your Google account or opt out of and it's the real problem with "big data".

They know exactly who is associated with a data blob, but they say they do not, because it allows them to take an end run around privacy laws. No one outside of Google can prove this though, because no one is allowed access to Google's proprietary databases.

Delete your cookies? Disable javascript? Big deal, you're physical location is known by way of the network you're attached to. Your hardware type is often known. Your browser and OS version are known. Network connections you open and close are known. And so on. None of this data that is collected about you is available for review, by you or anyone else. None of it can be opted out of. All of it is used, by literal super computers doing their computing thing, to build a fingerprint on each of us.

Why?

To make money and lots of it, by selling this data to people who want you to buy their stuff.

Who cares?

We all should. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. We don't know how this data will be used in the future. Heck, we don't even know how loosely it is associated with each individual. And, we can't simply "opt out". Not even giving up electronics will free you from your digital finger print; any time you walk into many stores, your face, actions, and conversations are recorded, analyzed, and eventually associated with your profile or "fingerprint". Again, to make more money off of you.

No one knows how this information will one day be used against people.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 06:26 PM
    No one can opt out of Google's "meta data" collection, as they deem that data non personally identifiable and proprietary. This data is collected from every Android device and every other device that happens by a Google provided ad. This data is not the same data you can delete in your Google account or opt out of and it's the real problem with "big data".

They know exactly who is associated with a data blob, but they say they do not, because it allows them to take an end run around privacy laws. No one outside of Google can prove this though, because no one is allowed access to Google's proprietary databases.

Delete your cookies? Disable javascript? Big deal, you're physical location is known by way of the network you're attached to. Your hardware type is often known. Your browser and OS version are known. Network connections you open and close are known. And so on. None of this data that is collected about you is available for review, by you or anyone else. None of it can be opted out of. All of it is used, by literal super computers doing their computing thing, to build a fingerprint on each of us.

Why?

To make money and lots of it, by selling this data to people who want you to buy their stuff.

Who cares?

We all should. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. We don't know how this data will be used in the future. Heck, we don't even know how loosely it is associated with each individual. And, we can't simply "opt out". Not even giving up electronics will free you from your digital finger print; any time you walk into many stores, your face, actions, and conversations are recorded, analyzed, and eventually associated with your profile or "fingerprint". Again, to make more money off of you.

Who knows how this information will one day be used against people. No one.

Posted via CB10
    Actually... the information that the article references is indeed all opt in. And the information is removable if you later change your mind.

Don't let paranoia get ahead of you.
    RH1Pearl, BB_Junky, TGR1 and 8 others like this.
    03-13-15 06:32 PM
    Actually... the information that the article references is indeed all opt in. And the information is removable if you later change your mind.

Don't let paranoia get ahead of you.
    Sorry, I was replying to your comment and general sentiment rather than what was in the article (which I have not yet read).

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 06:47 PM
    This is called "Location Tracking", and it is definitely turned OFF by default, and there is a 2-step process to turn it on with plenty of warning text to explain what it does.

I have it turned on on my phone and I use that information constantly as my current job requires a lot of (local) travelling. If you look at BB's Terms Of Service and User Agreement, you'll see that they collect the same data, but unlike Google, they don't let YOU do anything useful with it like the app you showed does, nor can you export or delete that data, while Google allows you to do so.

In other words, this is old (non)-news and something that will cause virtually no one is going to come running back to BB. Keyboards might bring some folks back, but certainly not this.
    03-13-15 07:23 PM
    A nice article related to the topic and potential consequences of all this stuff,

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...py-on-citizens

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 08:29 PM
    One day people will quit hoping that something forces people to use a certain brand of phone....
    LazyEvul, TgeekB, JeepBB and 10 others like this.
    03-13-15 09:53 PM

Privacy is a thing of the past. It's an illusion. Sad to say we have given up privacy for the conveniences of what technology has to offer.

Posted via CB10
    And that my good sir is the problem. We have become to complacint.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 10:23 PM
    Security is one of the most important issue, users will realize after some time. BB has clear advantage on this aspect. At the same time, emailing and Hub is such a nice feature, one can not get at any other platform.
    Probably, there is rumour, BB is developing Hub and emailing system for iOS & Android, then users will have option to experience same on other platforms.
    BerrySoul and tanzarian like this.
    03-14-15 01:34 AM
    Security is one of the most important issue, users will realize after some time. BB has clear advantage on this aspect.
    Except this isn't a security issue, it's a data collection issue, and BB is no better (and I'd argue worse) than Google about this. The difference is that BB doesn't show you any of the data they collect about you, much less let you use it in some useful way, much less let you control it or delete it.

Also, BB's "clear advantage" is really only for phones on BES. If you aren't on BES, you don't have anything that's significantly different than anyone else's phone, though many here like to pretend otherwise. And that's why you see almost no one choosing BB over other phones - the minor differences in security are no where near enough to make up for all the things BB10 lacks as a consumer product.
    03-14-15 10:46 AM
    Also, BB's "clear advantage" is really only for phones on BES. If you aren't on BES, you don't have anything that's significantly different than anyone else's phone, though many here like to pretend otherwise.
    This is true.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-15 12:38 PM
    Except this isn't a security issue, it's a data collection issue, and BB is no better (and I'd argue worse) than Google about this. The difference is that BB doesn't show you any of the data they collect about you, much less let you use it in some useful way, much less let you control it or delete it.

Also, BB's "clear advantage" is really only for phones on BES. If you aren't on BES, you don't have anything that's significantly different than anyone else's phone, though many here like to pretend otherwise. And that's why you see almost no one choosing BB over other phones - the minor differences in security are no where near enough to make up for all the things BB10 lacks as a consumer product.
    Why are you on a blackberry site telling blackberry aficionados that the phone they have chosen to use is inferior?

Posted via CB10
    anon(1723145) likes this.
    03-14-15 02:02 PM
    Sales show that consumers don't care about security or privacy.

If they did, BlackBerry would be number one.

It's all about the apps.

Via my Z30 on the Telus network
    JeepBB and niss63 like this.
    03-14-15 02:07 PM
    One day people will quit hoping that something forces people to use a certain brand of phone....
    You have a lot more confidence than I do.

Z30something
    03-14-15 02:26 PM
    Sales show that consumers don't care about security or privacy.
    Not really. Consumers actually do care about security. However, there's a distinct difference between adequate security suitable for your needs, and overkill security. If I'm transporting documents for a business, then a locked briefcase is more often suitable. But a bulletproof case handcuffed to my wrist with an armed security detail following me would probably be overkill unless I'm transporting a few million dollars in diamonds. 99.99% of the users on this site tour the security of BB, despite their probably never ever needing it.

03-14-15 02:57 PM
    Scary stuff. This is why I became less dependent on Google and abandoned a lot of their other services. The only service I still use with Google is YouTube and search engine. I'm glad there's an alternative to Google Android to which I absolutely love is BB10.
    03-14-15 03:12 PM
    Scary stuff. This is why I became less dependent on Google and abandoned a lot of their other services. The only service I still use with Google is YouTube and search engine. I'm glad there's an alternative to Google Android to which I absolutely love is BB10.
    Again, BB's own documentation makes it clear that they track and keep all of this same information from your BB10 phone. It's part of the user agreement you have to agree to before you can use your phone. So, how is that an "alternative", or in any way better?
    JeepBB, BB_Junky, mikeo007 and 5 others like this.
    03-14-15 03:52 PM
    Again, BB's own documentation makes it clear that they track and keep all of this same information from your BB10 phone. It's part of the user agreement you have to agree to before you can use your phone. So, how is that an "alternative", or in any way better?
    Does Google own BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    03-14-15 04:02 PM
    You get what you pay for folks.

I'd rather buy myself even a Q5 or BB Leap, than any Android cheap device!!!

What do you think about this ??

[video]http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f7e_1426272151[/url]
    Hey, I just did it!

Bought a used red Q5 in "very good condition" for $30 CDN on amazon.ca !
    Add shipping, it's ~$50 AUD ...

Hope I get it soon... :-)

�   Passposted while waiting for the Zzzzzlider....   �
    03-14-15 08:36 PM
    That's been known for quite a while.
    If you read the comments on LL about this video that pretty much sums it up on a larger scale.
    No one really cares. The masses have numbed to the fact that their privacy is violated on a daily basis. The old argument "I have nothing to hide so why should I care" is the norm.

Government and big corporations know the public sentiment on these issues and have taken full advantage of it. And if you're one of those that values privacy, you raise alarms and flags. Because someone who values their privacy definitely has something to hide in their eyes.

People are too caught up in their daily lives or enamoured and distracted with the latest shiny new tech gadgets to care about their privacy.
    All those people who line up overnight to be the first to get the newest smartphone, do they really care about privacy? Nope. And they're the new generation of smartphone users.

Posted via CB10
    Give me one reason, any reason, how my privacy from corporations gives me a tangible benefit.

If I buy a product from Apple or Google, I'll save real money buying a product. If I buy from a company like the makers of Blackphone, I get this abstract ideology that is in our heads. This is sillier than buying green products where while it's not me at least something somewhere is tangibly affected.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 03-14-15 at 09:18 PM.
    03-14-15 08:52 PM
139 123 ...