Officially my FIRST post...

This site has been saturated with the request and need for the holy grail of apps...Instagram. I do not currently use Instagram, and honestly do not see the real draw of the application, but that is for another thread. What I am interested in is the viewpoint of someone that has used both BBM Channels and Instagram.

Because, as I look through the BBM Channels, it feels like an Instagram play.
    • I am able to subscribe to channels.
    • I get updates on channels I am a member of.
    • Most of the updates have pictures associated with them.
    • I am able to like or comment on each update.

Once BBM4ALL is released and feature parity is reached on those other platforms. One can assume that BBM Channels will be cross platform as well and at that point....what will be the reason to need Instagram???

Just curious if anyone had any additional insight.
    10-01-13 02:27 PM
    Instagram has millions of people that use it and it allows for easy updates to facebook and twitter along with filters and other photo enhancing tools. Channels at this point is not similar at all. Sure you can upload photos but to me that is where the similarities stop.
    Donvald likes this.
    10-01-13 02:30 PM

This site has been saturated with the request and need for the holy grail of apps...Instagram. I do not currently use Instagram, and honestly do not see the real draw of the application, but that is for another thread. What I am interested in is the viewpoint of someone that has used both BBM Channels and Instagram.

Once BBM4ALL is released and feature parity is reached on those other platforms. One can assume that BBM Channels will be cross platform as well and at that point....what will be the reason to need Instagram???

Does BBM Channels link to Facebook which is still a lot of peoples "hub"? Can you view BBM Channels on a computer? Will your mom who just spent several weeks getting the hang of Instagram, be able to easily figure out BBM Channel? Will there really be a reason for her to even try?
    10-01-13 02:31 PM
    Take the rose Ray Bans off and put the glass of Kool aid down
    10-01-13 02:32 PM

Channels is more competition against FB and Twitter than it is with Instagram. Instagram allows you to edit photos and post videos while with Channels you basically can do what you have already listed.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 02:48 PM
    Not everyone in the world will use BBM4ALL or BBM Channels.
    10-01-13 02:49 PM
    True, but not everybody uses Instagram either.
    10-01-13 02:57 PM
    Channels and instagram aren't in the same league at all. First of all, BBM channels are pretty much streamlined blogs. IG is very simply put a photostream (w/ some videos now) and is basically an extremely well done Flickr for the layman. I used to use Flickr when I was a photographer, but I found the social aspect of IG much much much more appealing once I stopped taking photos professionally. Channels replacing IG? Maybe in BlackBerry wildest, weirdest dreams. A massive part of IG's user base is teens and younger, and I'm sorry to say that they don't even know what a BlackBerry is and won't give channels the time of day. This is in the US, so I can't speak for other countries, but until BlackBerry commits to creating some positive brand awareness, channels' best hopes will be to catch on at all.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 03:33 PM
    That's like asking why would anyone need Facebook now that Google+ is here or why anyone would need Pandora now that Spotify has radio. You aren't going to overtake a competitor merely by existing.
    10-01-13 03:38 PM
    True, but not everybody uses Instagram either.
    Lol
    Numbers, mate, numbers.

And like another poster said, channels needs more than just existing.
    Actually, it first needs to exist.
    It's been an extensive beta, and no sings of a release.

Also, the first BBM4ALL version won't have channels, We don't even know if it ever will. I know BlackBerry said it eventually would, but you know how things are around here.

C0001BBF0 - BlackBerry 10 help channel.
    10-01-13 03:44 PM
    BBM Channels will remain in Beta forever, like everything Blackberry. How long since this Beta started? 6 months?
    10-01-13 04:04 PM
    I'm happy to have both!

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 04:24 PM
    BBM Channels will remain in Beta forever, like everything Blackberry. How long since this Beta started? 6 months?
    That must be my fault, I keep answering in the survey that it's not ready to launch LOL...

I think that are different kinds IG and BBM Channels, I see a lot of potential on BBM Channels as a communication platform for companies, brands and organizations (also for personal use), let's say Company X has a channel promoting a product, checks the pictures, the info about it in the web page and the channel and sees that there is an open chat to go with a sales person, that is a powerful thing, and after that person bought the product there is another chat (that's a feature I keep requesting multiple chats on one channel) for after sales where you can request support for troubleshooting or anything, if Channels also let to have administrators and other kind of users for a channel you can have a "call center" in the channel, and if then they implement upgrading from chat to voice it would be hugh... and Blackberry may monetize some kind of services within the channels
    10-01-13 04:32 PM
    That must be my fault, I keep answering in the survey that it's not ready to launch LOL...

I think that are different kinds IG and BBM Channels, I see a lot of potential on BBM Channels as a communication platform for companies, brands and organizations (also for personal use), let's say Company X has a channel promoting a product, checks the pictures, the info about it in the web page and the channel and sees that there is an open chat to go with a sales person, that is a powerful thing, and after that person bought the product there is another chat (that's a feature I keep requesting multiple chats on one channel) for after sales where you can request support for troubleshooting or anything, if Channels also let to have administrators and other kind of users for a channel you can have a "call center" in the channel, and if then they implement upgrading from chat to voice it would be hugh... and Blackberry may monetize some kind of services within the channels
    Hmm... I see your point. Those would be some viable use cases.
    10-01-13 05:00 PM

Who is going to use facebook once google+ is live? Well, everyone and google+ was way more similar to facebook that BBM channels is to instagram. In fact, BBM Channels to me feels antiquated and I simply cannot see a use for it. Especially since no one will be using them because BBM4ALL didn't launch and when it does they won't get channels anyway. The 5 million people using BB10 will have channels but thats like no content in a social network. Besides I have ZERO BBM contacts, all the channels I find offer nothing new or interesting I can't find in the browers.
    10-01-13 05:12 PM
    To answer your question OP, most people.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-13 06:18 PM