Since BlackBerry has their flashlight built into bb10, they won't have to worry about this malware attack

A Cybersecurity Threat That Could Be Lurking On Your Phone | Special Report | Bret Baier | Fox News Channel

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 10:10 AM
    Music to our ears
    10-16-14 10:13 AM
    this has nothing to do proving BB security. There are tons of apps that do the same thing in App world right now. You always need to check all permissions for any app in any mobile OS store.
    10-16-14 10:20 AM
    Once again, BlackBerry proves that they are secure-facepalm.jpg

Symbian is still and always my favourite Os. Nokia 808. FilePLAY Music Player
    10-16-14 10:22 AM
    this has nothing to do proving BB security. There are tons of apps that do the same thing in App world right now. You always need to check all permissions for any app in any mobile OS store.
    It shows that BlackBerry has built component into bb10 and not rely to much on third party apps for many of what bb10 does at its core function. So yes, this is very significant.

Posted via CB10
    Andy_bb_king and spikesolie like this.
    10-16-14 10:31 AM
    It shows that BlackBerry has built component into bb10 and not rely to much on third party apps for many of what bb10 does at its core function. So yes, this is very significant.

Posted via CB10
    Just as secure as iOS with their native flashlight.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 10:38 AM
    LOL.
    10-16-14 10:39 AM
    I do have some concerns about using apk from android on bb10 though. This I see as being a big problem and I think BlackBerry made a mistake by using apk for bb10

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 10:40 AM
    Just as secure as iOS with their native flashlight.

Posted via CB10
    Yes apple does have their flashlight app built in also. But apple has cloud issues so that alone is a more serious problem than just a simple flashlight issue....lol

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 10:41 AM
    Yes apple does have their flashlight app built in also. But apple has cloud issues so that alone is a more serious problem than just a simple flashlight issue....lol

Posted via CB10
    Hmm. That's a good point. Good thing I have BB10, with its ability to install possibly infested apps like, say, a flashlight.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 11:14 AM
    Hmm. That's a good point. Good thing I have BB10, with its ability to install possibly infested apps like, say, a flashlight.

Posted via CB10
    Why install an app for something you already have?? I am sure that we can agree that the more integrated something is to the manufacturer of the OS the less likely it is to be hacked. I'm not saying it can't be hacked, I'm saying it makes it more difficult simply because the manufacturer can control their own OS environment. Third party apps may have issues. Especially if the development didn't consider securities when building said apps or maybe the apps like the ones mentioned in the thread that were purposely coded to do the malicious hack.

Food for thought no??

Posted via CB10
    Andy_bb_king and spikesolie like this.
    10-16-14 12:00 PM
    Why install an app for something you already have?? I am sure that we can agree that the more integrated something is to the manufacturer of the OS the less likely it is to be hacked. I'm not saying it can't be hacked, I'm saying it makes it more difficult simply because the manufacturer can control their own OS environment. Third party apps may have issues. Especially if the development didn't consider securities when building said apps or maybe the apps like the ones mentioned in the thread that were purposely coded to do the malicious hack.

Food for thought no??

Posted via CB10
    And BB10 can install those questionable apps, flashlights notwithstanding. BlackBerry can't control those apps. So I'm trying to figure out how that applies to your OP statement of BlackBerry's security.

And yes, we do agree the more integrated the software the better, in regards to BlackBerry at least.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-14 01:08 PM
    And BB10 can install those questionable apps, flashlights notwithstanding. BlackBerry can't control those apps. So I'm trying to figure out how that applies to your OP statement of BlackBerry's security.

And yes, we do agree the more integrated the software the better, in regards to BlackBerry at least.

Posted via CB10
    Yes of course but why install that app if you have one that's already integrated? Also, I don't know about Android but with BlackBerry you can choose what allowances the app has as far as what the app can control on BlackBerry. Can you do that with other OSs?

Posted via CB10
    spikesolie likes this.
    10-16-14 03:22 PM
    Yes of course but why install that app if you have one that's already integrated? Also, I don't know about Android but with BlackBerry you can choose what allowances the app has as far as what the app can control on BlackBerry. Can you do that with other OSs?

Posted via CB10
    The problem isn't downloading an app if the function exists already. We both know some users prefer to use other software than what's provided. We're not talking just flashlights here, there's parts of BB10 that just aren't there for some and they want more functionality. The native apps of course have some granular control over permissions. However, Android apps do not. You either accept all, or you don't use the app. And that pertains to sideloaded apps, ported apps in BlackBerry World, and now Amazon apps from the Amazon store.
    10-16-14 03:35 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I can control what apps do what on my Android like I can on my BB devices.

But in response to your earlier question, third party apps have a way of pushing development of built-in utilities. I think that ultimately, that's what Apple stumbled upon with the App Store.

Take Google Maps for instance. Great app, but you can see where TeleNav, CoPilot and even the co-opted Waze influenced updates. Seeing what competing apps bring gives Apple and Google an opportunity to see what features in any given app resonate with customers, and which to add to their own in-house offerings.

Built-in apps are great, but options are the backbone of any platform.
    10-16-14 03:41 PM
    The problem isn't downloading an app if the function exists already. We both know some users prefer to use other software than what's provided. We're not talking just flashlights here, there's parts of BB10 that just aren't there for some and they want more functionality. The native apps of course have some granular control over permissions. However, Android apps do not. You either accept all, or you don't use the app. And that pertains to sideloaded apps, ported apps in BlackBerry World, and now Amazon apps from the Amazon store.
    Good points.
    10-16-14 03:43 PM
    You always need to check all permissions for any app in any mobile OS store.
    nope, not anymore.

Apple has changed how apps are handled – users can now check the permissions required by third-party apps and they can be disabled individually and re-enabled later.
    iOS 8.1 unveiled on stage - Apple Pay, app permissions and more - GSMArena.com news

Damn, I love Lumia 1520, but iPhone is getting better and better.
    10-17-14 02:40 AM
    nope, not anymore.

Apple has changed how apps are handled � users can now check the permissions required by third-party apps and they can be disabled individually and re-enabled later.
    iOS 8.1 unveiled on stage - Apple Pay, app permissions and more - GSMArena.com news

And you still need to check permissions.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-14 04:34 AM
    nope, not anymore.

Apple has changed how apps are handled – users can now check the permissions required by third-party apps and they can be disabled individually and re-enabled later.

um yeah you still need to check them...
    10-17-14 04:38 AM
    um yeah you still need to check them...
    yeah, and they can be disabled
    remember that great ability, not log ago?
    10-17-14 07:15 AM