IMHO, Blackberry is sliding down a slippery slope by not including removable batteries in their newer phones.
    One look at the latest Z30 fiasco (and Blackberry has finally owned up to the issue) leads me to
    believe that there will be other update issues. In the good old days, we just did a battery
    pull. What now?
    03-04-15 04:51 PM
    Whether we like it or not ... most consider it progress.... have to remember.. one of the reasons the battery pull was required was the flaky nature of pre OS7 devices... Have an Iphone and Z30... never needed a pull on the z30 and of course you cannot do a pull on an Apple product.... so this is what people are use to now... you do not miss what you never had... and most have never had to worry about a battery pull....

Removable batteries are basically a thing of the past... like it or not....
    bh7171 likes this.
    03-04-15 05:00 PM
    I tend to agree with you having in the past owned many phones without removable batteries.
    But let's not kid ourselves - the motive for this trend is economic, lower parts count, assembly cost...and not
    any real benefit to us as consumers.
    But when you run into a borked update like the 10.3.1.xxx for some Z30's (mine included)
    it's comforting to be able to remove the juice.
    Would be nice if BB could at least put some kind of switch inside that would kill the power - then
    the non removable battery would be acceptable.
    03-04-15 05:15 PM
    BB is just moving forward and not being stuck in the past...non removable battery is the future. Apple knew this from the beginning I think.
    03-04-15 05:27 PM
    @OP

Non-removable batteries suck. The future may be better charging speeds and much longer lasting batteries but it will for the foreseeable future be filled with people that "have to go, my battery is about dead" and "we can't leave yet, I need to charge my phone".

I like the idea that I don't have to plan my day around my battery.
    chaosdivine, KDB84 and George_B like this.
    03-04-15 05:41 PM
    Geez such drama over a battery. Buy a 10,000 ma portable battery charger if your that bothered. They are dirt cheap these days.

Posted by my fabulous Passport
    03-04-15 05:46 PM
    Yep. Non removable batteries do bite the big one, especially after a phone ages.

One more reason to like the z10.

Posted via CB10
    Toodeurep and KDB84 like this.
    03-04-15 05:54 PM
    By the time the battery is no good you'll be using a new phone anyway, unless you keep using the same phone for 4 years.
    03-04-15 06:02 PM
    I see a new thread almost every day where someone with a Z10 or Q10 is having reboots because of worn battery contacts.

There's no perfect answer, but durability and stability improves with a fixed battery.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    ronfc likes this.
    03-04-15 06:07 PM
    It's not just about switching batteries, though.

I wanted to fire up my old Nokia N80 the other day to use another SIM card and get some old contacts, but the battery had expanded and died. No problem, just threw in a new one.

Batteries wear down and stop holding charges as well after a while. The non-removable paradigm is for a throw away society and people that change their phones every 2 years or so.

People like me that buy their phones outright and see it as an investment and something that they can keep for a long time don't want non-removable batteries.
    George_B, Tatwi, KDB84 and 1 others like this.
    03-04-15 06:08 PM
    It's not just about switching batteries, though.

I wanted to fire up my old Nokia N80 the other day to use another SIM card and get some old contacts, but the battery had expanded and died. No problem, just threw in a new one.

Batteries wear down and stop holding charges as well after a while. The non-removable paradigm is for a throw away society and people that change their phones every 2 years or so.

People like me that buy their phones outright and see it as an investment and something that they can keep for a long time don't want non-removable batteries.
    You can replace a Z30 fixed battery in about 5 minutes. Very easy. Any phone shop can do it.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    bigbadben10 and kbz1960 like this.
    03-04-15 06:12 PM
    Non removable battery is probably good to go if you change devices every year or two years at most. I tend to keep devices more like three years before changing.

Personal experience, after 23 months my z10 battery life was starting to slip from about 16 plus hours in the beginning to 12 to 13 in the past month. Inspection if battery showed slight bulging. Last week, I replaced the original battery and I'm back to 16 plus hours before needing a charge.

I'm in favor of user replaceable battery.

YMMV.

"Dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    03-04-15 06:17 PM
    I'll bet more than 90% of users who have smartphones with removable batteries never change the battery for any reason.
    03-04-15 06:18 PM
    IMHO, Blackberry is sliding down a slippery slope by not including removable batteries in their newer phones.
    One look at the latest Z30 fiasco (and Blackberry has finally owned up to the issue) leads me to
    believe that there will be other update issues. In the good old days, we just did a battery
    pull. What now?
    Soft Reset

To perform a soft reset on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone, complete one of the following:

Press and hold the Power key for 10 seconds.
    Press and hold the Volume up key and the Volume down key at the same time for 10 seconds.
    03-04-15 06:21 PM
    Out of curiosity, what Z30 fiasco? I had no battery issues and was unaware of others with battery issues

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 06:25 PM
    Out of curiosity, what Z30 fiasco? I had no battery issues and was unaware of others with battery issues

Posted via CB10
    I believe he's referring to some people having issues after updating to 10.3.1. I've updated about 20 Z10s and Z30s without issue, but there have been reports. No one has sufficient data to qualify anything as a fiasco.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    bh7171 likes this.
    03-04-15 06:30 PM
    I believe he's referring to some people having issues after updating to 10.3.1. I've updated about 20 Z10s and Z30s without issue, but there have been reports. No one has sufficient data to qualify anything as a fiasco.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    Actually, Blackberry does have the data and it's more than just a few Z30's. In fact, they piulled the latest update, have acknowledged there is an issue and while they stated there is no fix yet they are actively working on it.
    And how's that for a run-on sentence!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-04-15 06:41 PM
    Actually, Blackberry does have the data and it's more than just a few Z30's. In fact, they piulled the latest update, have acknowledged there is an issue and while they stated there is no fix yet they are actively working on it.
    And how's that for a run-on sentence!
    BlackBerry did not pull the update. The Canadian carriers did. And that does not necessarily mean much.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    03-04-15 06:48 PM
    03-04-15 06:49 PM
    Correct. I'm well aware.

As is typical, there are about 20 such kb articles on various issues after this update.

This does not mean this particular issue is a "fiasco".

Bla1ze has been compiling a list:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=998926

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    Last edited by conite; 03-04-15 at 07:18 PM.
    03-04-15 06:51 PM
    Just don't let the battery go dead in a Z30 or you'll be in trouble. That's when the issue starts.
    03-04-15 07:44 PM
    Non removable battery is probably good to go if you change devices every year or two years at most. I tend to keep devices more like three years before changing.

Personal experience, after 23 months my z10 battery life was starting to slip from about 16 plus hours in the beginning to 12 to 13 in the past month. Inspection if battery showed slight bulging. Last week, I replaced the original battery and I'm back to 16 plus hours before needing a charge.

I'm in favor of user replaceable battery.

YMMV.

"Dogs bark but the caravan moves on."
    Yep, what if the battery pops inside the phone casing and eats the circuit board...?

8-o

Definitely toast, buy a new device. As mentioned above, throw away society. In some places where ***just having a(ny) mobile phone*** counts as a privilege, you'd probably be king with a Z10. Protect your investment, pass it on to the kids or someone without a smartphone...

�   "Oh Classic, you are the fairest here so true. But Passport is a thousand times more powerful than you..." (no offense, Classic is a great device, when it's charged)   �
    03-05-15 02:28 AM
    Yep, what if the battery pops inside the phone casing and eats the circuit board...?

8-o

Definitely toast, buy a new device. As mentioned above, throw away society. In some places where ***just having a(ny) mobile phone*** counts as a privilege, you'd probably be king with a Z10. Protect your investment, pass it on to the kids or someone without a smartphone...

•   "Oh Classic, you are the fairest here so true. But Passport is a thousand times more powerful than you..." (no offense, Classic is a great device, when it's charged)   •
    A removal battery could do that too. If removable didn't have so many issues with the connections and bumps making your phone reboot I would prefer them.
    03-05-15 07:50 AM
    A removal battery could do that too. If removable didn't have so many issues with the connections and bumps making your phone reboot I would prefer them.
    Personally I've never had this issue, and I have a Q10 which was somewhat notorious for loose batteries.

Personally I'm not the type of "power user" who needs to swap batteries throughout the day. But it annoys me that the trend toward fixed batteries is yet another way for manufacturers to pass a bit more cost and bother on to the user. Fixed battery is slightly cheaper for them, but much more of a hassle for us if the battery goes bad.

Posted via CB10
    docfreed likes this.
    03-05-15 08:17 AM
    I suspect on most phones there are other issues that cause phone failure before the battery needs replacing. On the Classic, that would be the keyboard, trackpad and power plug in.

The biggest issue on the iPhone is replacing a cracked screen.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 08:48 AM
49 12