Some months ago i upgraded to the 9930 and left the 9650 as my alarm clock.. Getting a bit frustrated that it wouldnt do anything at all useful i did some research, mucked about and thought i would document the things to do to allow an old 9650 to be a wifi only device.. (mine is now successfully playing Pandora in the kitchen)..

Essentially you need to prevent the device from accessing BIS, and remove all user related internet settings.. For the stock browser, try this

1. Browser>Browser Options>Browser configuration
    Set browser configuration to "Hotspot"
    Set Browser identification to "Firefox"

2. Settings>advanced options>TC/IP
    Disable APN settings
    Delete username and password for APN

I *think* thats all i did..

NOTES

1. None of your bookmarks will work.. clear them all and start again
    2. If your 9650 is currently active and updated to 0s6+ you can try to make the device a VOIP phones using the mobilevoip app. I have this on my 9930 and it works fine.. not sure what testing has been done on an os6 device though.
    04-17-12 07:14 AM
    You shouldn't need to do anything to use it on wifi without a data plan.
    04-17-12 09:22 PM
    lol...do you really think i would go to the trouble of mucking about, researching and documenting what i found if the BB had simply continued to work as an internet device over wifi?...

You shouldn't need to do anything to use it on wifi without a data plan.
    04-18-12 03:57 PM
    lol...do you really think i would go to the trouble of mucking about, researching and documenting what i found if the BB had simply continued to work as an internet device over wifi?...
    Sorry no that's not what I meant.
    I meant that it should work fine as a wifi device without doing anything, and I was surprised that you had so many issues.
    Perhaps it's because you're on OS5.
    04-18-12 04:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD