You are either a troll, a or stupid! Not sure which.
    I'd go with a combination of both.
    04-06-12 04:27 PM
    I can't have my device showing off a preview of a message in lock, that phone could be sitting on a table when I get a message with product costing, hard to tell a person I can't give him a price break if he can see the preview of my message saying I've marked him up 150%

I think it would be a great feature for RIM, Apple, Android to put something like OS7's notification bar into the lock screen with slightly larger icons, and possibly breaking down a few more details like
    3 inboxes have a combined 35 unread emails
    2 SMS's from 2 users
    3 missed calles from 2 numbers
    etc.
    The newiOS 5nitification center does this somewhat... But it does show the message, from the little time that I used it. But I have an amazing app that I love. It is a cydia app so you have to jailbreak your iphone, but once you do it is amazing

It is called lockinfo and it gathers all your texts, emails, phone calls and rss feed notifications on your lockscreen. You can set it up to turn on the screen at any notification, or to leave it off. You can also set it to show the messages in the drop down menu or just the name/address of the sender. When I'm working in tend to leave it at the 'private' setting just in case one of the kids picks up my phone (I usually allow the to pick upmy phone to check the time)

Check out LockInfo!
    04-06-12 04:37 PM
    This is THE most useless 6 pages I have read in a long time... ok.. so my fault for reading.... but.... REALLY???

Why not argue on the proper tire pressure of your car or truck?

/rant
    04-06-12 04:45 PM
    Factually incorrect. The find out soon enough when their phone freezes. I have seen many rebooting the iPhones when the freeze. Not saying there is anything sinister in a hanged phone. All phones hang. But the myth which surrounds the iPhone is that it doesn't. It does and does need a reboot.

Carry on with your usual programming.
    So you counter my opinion with your opinion, and claim what I said is factually incorrect? Huh?
    04-06-12 05:05 PM
    This is THE most useless 6 pages I have read in a long time... ok.. so my fault for reading.... but.... REALLY???

/rant
    I'm not sure what's worse, that you just read "THE most useless 6 pages [you] have read in a long time", or that even after deciding the thread was/is "useless," you continued to read. Neither is encouraging.
    oldtimeBBaddict and sam_b77 like this.
    04-06-12 05:08 PM
    Encouraging? - this thread has none
    oldtimeBBaddict likes this.
    04-06-12 05:23 PM
    It actually displays a previews of the message.
    And swiping it actually open the message in email client.
    04-06-12 05:43 PM
    Iphone owners waste time as they have to wake the screen to check for messages, you can't get around that.
    In OS5.1, messages appear in preview (or bar, depend on how you want to set it up) in lock screen as soon as you have received them. If you want to read entire message, just swipe it. It stays there until you actually check the mail.
    I think it's a good and cleaver system.

However, I still use my 9790 most of the time, mostly because of one hand operation particularly while driving the car (I know I should not do it... ).
    BB only tells that I have received messages (BeBuzz tells what kind). I just press "M" key and the list shows up. In ordinary cases, this is sufficient and more convenient for me. But when the message is long or came with any attachment, you can't beal the iPhone.
    04-06-12 06:05 PM

/rant
    Well actually, I follow what written on that sticker on the driver's side panel.

Now if you really want an argument, let's talk about the supposed benefits of nitrogen in your tires...

Is that off-topic enough for you?
    04-06-12 06:06 PM
    If I had to reboot my phone multiple times a day, I'd find a new phone or platform. Talk about seconds wasted.

LOL @ "loading a webpages in the background." LOLOLOLOL

AD, did you have an OG EVO or the 3? Mine has been solid.
    I had the EVO 4G. The one before the 3D.

The Sprint store by me said they had a high complaint rate.
    04-06-12 06:08 PM
    @ Pineapple .. LOL good one.
    04-06-12 06:09 PM
    The BlackBerry Torch 9860 (aka Storm 3... Scorch) is a good answer to the iPhone.

Sent from my BlackBerry Scorch 9860 using Tapatalk
    searzyOUT!!
    CDM76 likes this.
    04-06-12 06:13 PM
    I wanted to see what the hip-hip-hooray was all about so I picked up an iToy. So I'm giving apple a shot, but some questions have come up right away. Why do I have to sift through hundreds of thousands of garbage apps to find a basic function like a consolidated messages box? And as I'm looking at this thing, I'm wondering where's the notification LED? Also, I'm finding that I can't make it through the day on a charge and would like to obtain a spare battery for the iPhone, but first I'd like to figure out how to open the thing to do a battery swap. Is there a quick and easy way? And what is this with the birds and the pigs??? So far, out-of-the-box experience -- not so good. If I can't get this thing up to the communication standards I'm accustomed to quickly, I'm returning it.
    Tonis, now Tonis the Banned one, the only difference in your thread from the inane troll bait threads that have inundated CB over the last three months is you like BlackBerry products...so no surprise you're banned. If you were a newbie BB hater, you'd still be posting swill as I write this post. Lesson to be learned, get your hate on for BB and you'll never feel the hammer.
    sam_b77, john_v and CDM76 like this.
    04-06-12 06:19 PM
    You can set your device to show emails/text messages on the lock screen.

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    Only quoting MartyMcfly because I really like the Jay Electronica quote in his sig...anywho...

Why is it that people get a device and instead of reading up on it and trying to figure it out, they immediately want to bash it? Explore a bit. Geeez. Give a device time and approach it with an open mind.
    04-06-12 09:16 PM
    04-06-12 09:22 PM
    Do iPhone users have to constantly wake up their phone screen to see if they have messages?

I had to on my Android and it made me feel like I was on my phone ALL the time.

I'm thinking maybe that is by design. Maybe Apple wants users to always be using?

Good theory?
    04-06-12 09:37 PM
    Do iPhone users have to constantly wake up their phone screen to see if they have messages?

I'm thinking maybe that is by design. Maybe Apple wants users to always be using?

Good theory?
    Whether you like it or not depends on what your preference is for messaging.

Personally, I like to know if I have an email or message and the blinking LED is a good, non-interruptive indicator.

But I'm sure there are others that like to check for new mail on their own terms, and not feel like they're enslaved to a blinking red light (it can be very hard to resist at times lol).

I remember reading somewhere that on the iPhone 4s you can set it so that the camera. flash will blink if you have something waiting. I'm not 100% sure on this though. Even if true, it's not the most ideal setup...the flash likely uses more power than the small LED, and you have to leave your phone facing down in order to see it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-06-12 09:55 PM

Good theory?

Depends on the android. Some have an led, some don't. Your choice.
    04-06-12 11:55 PM
    In OS5.1, messages appear in preview (or bar, depend on how you want to set it up) in lock screen as soon as you have received them. If you want to read entire message, just swipe it. It stays there until you actually check the mail.
    I think it's a good and cleaver system.

However, I still use my 9790 most of the time, mostly because of one hand operation particularly while driving the car (I know I should not do it... ).
    BB only tells that I have received messages (BeBuzz tells what kind). I just press "M" key and the list shows up. In ordinary cases, this is sufficient and more convenient for me. But when the message is long or came with any attachment, you can't beal the iPhone.
    But once the screen backlight goes out you have to wake it up regardless of what the lock screen displays(massive privacy problem if you ask me). I'm not talking about how quick you can get to your messages, just that you have to physically wake it up.

BTW, I'm not giving Rim credit for the led, my first ever mobile phone in around 1996-1997 had one, it was an Alcatel and you could also stick 3AA batteries in it if you ran out
    04-07-12 01:27 AM
    So you counter my opinion with your opinion, and claim what I said is factually incorrect? Huh?
    No, I countered your opinion with facts.

You said " I don't think that iPhone users even know how to reboot the device". The implied message in your "opinion" was that iPhone does not need rebooting. However there is a reset method described in the iPhone user manual. And add to that iPhones hang as well and the users do reboot.

That iPhones hang can be verified by a causal Google search. That there is a way to reboot them is also on Google. So you tell me how is my statement an opinion?
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    04-07-12 02:13 AM
    Well actually, I follow what written on that sticker on the driver's side panel.

Now if you really want an argument, let's talk about the supposed benefits of nitrogen in your tires...

Is that off-topic enough for you?
    In road going cars Nitrogen has zero benefits. It's a huge scam. .
    04-07-12 02:18 AM
    Okay, I admit it. You're better than me.

Will that suffice?
    Someone is trying to make a point that we check our email a LOT during a day. It's not personal so why did you make it personal? Grow up.
    04-07-12 03:30 AM
    Someone is trying to make a point that we check our email a LOT during a day. It's not personal so why did you make it personal? Grow up.
    Happy Saturday to you too...
    04-07-12 08:00 AM
    But once the screen backlight goes out you have to wake it up regardless of what the lock screen displays(massive privacy problem if you ask me). I'm not talking about how quick you can get to your messages, just that you have to physically wake it up.

BTW, I'm not giving Rim credit for the led, my first ever mobile phone in around 1996-1997 had one, it was an Alcatel and you could also stick 3AA batteries in it if you ran out
    True. Once you have glanced the list of messages and chose not to open any of them, screen goes blank soon and you have to wake it up. But waking it up only requires to press the home button. When I am on the iPhone and email notification shows up, I almost always open at least one. The problem is, once you opened a message in email client, then you are in the IMAP file system and have to do some touching to go to other messages. Sure you can go to combined inbox but it still requires an additional browsing in the email program (and usually 2 hands, which is sometimes a burden when on the go).

OTOH, I am using the 9790 almost as an "email reader". "M" key only opens the inbox where all messages are shown in one pane. This better suits me, at least for now. The only thing the blinking LED bugs me is that it won't go out until I am forced to open the message (I might be doing something wrong). I believe this is not the LED problem but because the BB's poor implementation of IMAP. In iPhone, once I read the message in any other device (desktop, laptop or BB), notifications would be gone and there would be no unread message. IMAP works well.

Blinking LED at one time was ubiquitous on many electronics devices for all sort of reasons but you do not see those often any more. There has been a persistent rumour that the next gen. of iPhone might implement a blinking led but I kind of doubt it. Apple, as a philosophy, do not like anything lurking behind the scene solely for the purpose of preserving the battery juice (as I understand it). But this was during the first iteration of iPhone as a slab with a big screen. Now the power management is much better and the battery is also better too.

Right now, I am happy with the 9790 for a quick email reading, phone calls and SMS. For anything other than those (such as internet browsing, Googling, news reading, banking and mapping etc), I reach for the iPhone. But I am usually not too far from a desktop or a laptop, and I could get by without the iPhone. I carry both BB and iPhone when I drive out.
    My main attraction to the 9790 is its compact form factor. I thought the 9700/9780 size was perfect and it had a larger battery. I recently switched the case from OEM hardshell to Otterbox Commuter. This actually brought the size almost back to the 9780 (in terms of thickness), and I feel more comfy with it rather than the bare thin (and weird) form factor. I would have been much happier if RIM implemented OS7 into 9780. RIM, what did you do to the venerable 9780!
    Last edited by xanadome; 04-07-12 at 09:31 AM. Reason: typo
    04-07-12 08:13 AM

Good theory?
    I skipped to Droid a couple times....once for about 12 hrs (SGS2), the 2nd for about 3 months (HTC Vivid).
    The 2nd time I did my research and got a device that did the 3 major things I needed: VVM, LED notification and manual Outlook sync. The Viv did all these, fairly well I might add.
    As it turned out, there were other things droid didn't do that I "needed" so I'm back in black to stay.
    I'm so jacked for BB10. I truly believe after the bugs get worked out, it will be the new standard in smart phone.
    The bar won't be raised, there will be a new bar.
    04-07-12 09:21 AM
179 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD