I'm at the airport and wondering if a bb can be used on a plane. I feel as if the device itself isn't like any phone that I have ever owned due to the fact that you can turn the radio off. But can the phone operation still cause possible problems for the airplane. Just curious. Any ideas?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-10 10:49 AM
    I think if you follow the crew's instruction about when to use electronic devices you'll be fine. I personally don't see how one can interfere with the plane's electronics with the radio off, but they usually have all electronic devices turned off - even CD/DVD players that have no radio receivers, so I'm sure there's something I don't know about what does interfere and what does not.

09-10-10 10:57 AM
    Most airlines will allow you to use your BlackBerry any time other electronic equipment use is permitted, as long as you turn the radio off. You always have to follow flight crew instructions, regardless.
    09-10-10 11:02 AM
    You always have to follow flight crew instructions, regardless.
    That is a given...

09-10-10 11:08 AM
    you can use the media function..
    and the restriction of using cellphones are usually during the take off and landing procedures.. so Yeah enjoy your Blackberry during the flight
    09-10-10 11:08 AM
    I think if you follow the crew's instruction about when to use electronic devices you'll be fine. I personally don't see how one can interfere with the plane's electronics with the radio off, but they usually have all electronic devices turned off - even CD/DVD players that have no radio receivers, so I'm sure there's something I don't know about what does interfere and what does not.

It's the FCC standing on the side of caution that these rules even still exist. If it was really a problem, people couldn't bring them on the planes. Terrorist would be packing a few cell phones to take down a plane instead of what ever else they use. A pilot buddy of mine has told me that cell phones don't really interfere with anything, it's just FCC regulation.

I don't suggest trying to use them while on the plane though! With radio on at least. People don't take too kindly to it.
    09-10-10 11:11 AM
    It's a myth busted long ago... including on an episode of Mythbusters several years ago. Along with cell phone use at gas stations (it was a different set of circumstances that caused a few gas station fire incidences). In fact, no one knows why the FCC still has those rules because even they admit there is no known interference with airplane electronics from cell phones, or any other personal electronic devices.

09-10-10 11:41 AM
    It's a myth busted long ago... including on an episode of Mythbusters several years ago. Along with cell phone use at gas stations (it was a different set of circumstances that caused a few gas station fire incidences). In fact, no one knows why the FCC still has those rules because even they admit there is no known interference with airplane electronics from cell phones, or any other personal electronic devices.

First, it's the FAA.

Second, while I enjoy Mythbusters, I do take their stuff with a grain of salt.

And lastly, the crew wants your undivided attenton during takeoff and landings. And while a phone does not interfere with equipment, if all electronics were allowed during takeoffs and landings, how long do you thnk it would take for somebody to carry an elctronics package capable of interfering disguised as a cell phone or DVD player?
    09-10-10 11:48 AM
    First, it's the FAA.

And lastly, the crew wants your undivided attenton during takeoff and landings. And while a phone does not interfere with equipment, if all electronics were allowed during takeoffs and landings, how long do you thnk it would take for somebody to carry an elctronics package capable of interfering disguised as a cell phone or DVD player?
    this explanation actually makes the most sense.
    09-10-10 11:53 AM
    First, it's the FAA.

Actually, it's the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) that has a ban on cell phone use during flights. The FAA might as well, but to dismiss the FCC is incorrect.
    09-10-10 11:57 AM
    It's the FCC standing on the side of caution that these rules even still exist. If it was really a problem, people couldn't bring them on the planes. Terrorist would be packing a few cell phones to take down a plane instead of what ever else they use. A pilot buddy of mine has told me that cell phones don't really interfere with anything, it's just FCC regulation.

I don't suggest trying to use them while on the plane though! With radio on at least. People don't take too kindly to it.
    I know! I have a couple pilot friends, too, and I have made it a point not to talk to them about flying - ever since one told me something breaks on almost every flight, hahaha. That's information I do not need to know since I already hate to fly.

09-10-10 12:02 PM
    Trust me you can have a cell phone on during a flight and IMO it is doubtful that it will interfere with the planes normal functions. I did it by accident once, it was in my carry on in the overhead bin and it stayed on the whole time.

So if somebody wanted to make a device that could mess with the plane they would have done it already, just because you aren't allowed doesn't stop people from doing it. it is easy enough to hide your phone or device in your pocket and activate it by touch.

To answer the OPs question, you can use it legally with the radio turned off while in flight, after the crew has told you it is safe to use other electronics like ipods. If for some reason they do ask you to turn it off, it would be smart to comply with the instructions immediately.
    09-10-10 12:03 PM
    it seems I hear every week about a plane being diverted to a nearby airport to take some ldiot who didn't comply with the crew's instructions off a plane. Heck of a way to start or end a trip - in the FBI's custody.

09-10-10 12:15 PM
    I remember being young and flying with my friend on a plane.

We both brought our Nintendo's, and Prada being the panic stricken rule follower that he is told his cousin to turn of his Nintendo while landing, because he thought he'd spontaneously combust or something.

My cousin refused to turn off his Nintendo to prove a point.

Needless to say, Prada survived! Much to the dismay of Off Topic.

I doubt that it's a matter of interference now a days.

I think it's more a long the lines of needing to be more alert during certain crucial parts of the flight "just in case".

Such as the in flight safety briefing etc.

Passengers should be more alert during take off and landing just in case-

Instead of having their noise in their iPod's or Smartphones.
    09-10-10 12:30 PM
    Given how close you have to sit to your fellow passengers, and given that people will say anything and everything on the phone in restaurants, check-out lines, and elevators, I'm glad we can't talk on cell phones while in flight. True story: I'm walking into the restroom in a Walmart when I hear from the stall "Hey man, you won't believe it, I'm sittin' in Walmart takin' a dump and talkin' on the phone..."
    09-10-10 01:32 PM
    Jeff you are such a prude!!! LOL

and that may have been me in the Walmart!! JK i would never touch a toilet in a Walmart!!!!
    09-10-10 02:07 PM
    I think the answer to the post was answered awhile ago. I ended falling asleep

09-10-10 02:14 PM
    Hey gogotelz,

Yes it did, but sometimes these threads take on a life of their own...LOL
    09-10-10 02:29 PM
    I've always been tempted to bet on a plane with Wi-fi and use my phone in UMA mode to call someone, but I have a feeling that anyone around me would freak out.
    09-11-10 01:54 PM
    I'm at the airport and wondering if a bb can be used on a plane.
    Officially you can use it with the receiver switched off, albeit like any other mobile you can't actually evidence that it's not receiving - they just see 'phone' = no go
    09-11-10 04:24 PM
    I used my phone on my second plane going from the twin cities to san francisco. I ended up typing a short story using documents to go. No flight attendants said a word to me

09-11-10 04:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD