I've searched and searched and can't find an answer to my questions. I'm finding half answers that are not helping me. I just wanted to let everyone know that before I get flammed for not using the "search" function.

Ok, I am trying to use the GPS on my BB Storm. Yes I have the GPS turned on in my options > advanced options > GPS services = Location on & Location Aiding = Enabled.

Now, when I try to find a satellite in the BB Maps that came with my phone it just says "Searching for Satellites." and sits there forever.

I then tried google maps, and it says "waiting on GPS" and that I'm within 1700 meters.

Now to me this is saying the software is trying to acquire a satellite, am I correct in assuming that?

Do I need clear skies to get the satellites or to I need to make sure I am clear of trees, car roof, and other barriers that may be above me for this GPS to work? I ask this because my parents Garmin GPS will work even at the kitchen table, I was hoping this would work the same.

Any insite, advice, or any help what so ever would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
    02-25-09 11:22 AM
    The first time any device accesses the GPS satellites, it has to find them without knowing where they are. Even in open area, with more than the minimum number of satellites in view, this can take as much as 15 minutes the first time. And if you move, it can take longer.
    Once it gets first lock, future locks are faster as your device knows where those satellites will be now, assuming it's not been too long or you've not moved very far since last using GPS.
    The bold took 10 minutes to get first lock, now it gets lock in under 30 seconds.

As for the storm, there are / have been gps issues, but I understand they never affected bbmaps and they're fixed in googlemaps latest release.
    Now get out in a field and give it 15 minutes

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-09 12:37 PM
    The first time any device accesses the GPS satellites, it has to find them without knowing where they are. Even in open area, with more than the minimum number of satellites in view, this can take as much as 15 minutes the first time.

Thats what it was, I guess I was just being impatient. Took a good 5 minutes or so to find the satellites. I just think I wasn't waiting long enough before and I kept moving thinking I maybe needed to be in a better spot.

Both Google maps and BB maps works with the GPS and finds where I am within 8 meters or some crap like that.

Thank you for the input!

Cheers
    02-25-09 12:55 PM
    I have a curve and had a pearl and the gps on both of them sucked. I never got a satelite lock with the pearl. I can occasionally get the gps to work on my curve but its hit and miss. One thing that makes no sense is that if I use the find "my location" command I almost never get a lock but if I use the "start gps navigation" command I often can. I have never been able to get a lock with google maps. What you are getting with google is cell tower triangulation which as you can see is not very accurate. Also I thinlk that the gps reciever is very weak and requires almost perfect conditions to work. There are a couple things you can try though. Go to Options>advanced options>gps>menu if you have the option "refresh gps" hit that. For some reason some have that option and some (me) don't. Also in bb maps hit menu then select "clear cache" and 'delete downloaded data". Sometimes when I'm having trouble that helps.Personally I won't be getting rid of my other gps's anytime soon. Hope this helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-09 12:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD