I've had 3 BBs (Alltel Curve now) and am planning getting the Tour. I've never worried about wifi because I've had Alltel/VZ's 3g network for about 3 years. However, my wife got her 1st BB this week, the new Curve 8900 with T-Mobile, which has wifi. We set it up with our ultra high speed FIOS last night and I ran a spped test. It averages 3.8 Mb down and 800 Kb up. That is crazy fast- roughly 10 times faster than VZ 3g network in Tampa runs on average. Plus, if we had wifi, I could get quick service in very remote locations that create wifi with a satellite, which happens with me occassionally.

I'm still getting the Tour, but it does make you realize what we are missing with these CDMA devices. Your thoughts?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-03-09 02:53 PM
    Wifi would be nice

07-03-09 02:56 PM
    I think the horse is dead and we should stop beating it.
    07-03-09 03:08 PM
    agreed but would still like to have wifi!!
    07-03-09 03:12 PM
    I love beating dead horses, actually I love poking sticks at almost any dead creature.

Yes WI-FI would be great, but that's a decision RIM is going to have to make.

Personally, Im going to pass on the Tour, save my VIP upgrade and see what other devices Verizon will soon offer.
    07-03-09 03:19 PM
    the biggest draw to think about wi-fi is think of it as a connectivity thing.

its less about speed and more about connectivity...
    07-03-09 03:26 PM

I would rather have a strong cell network then wifi, I still would like wifi, but if I had to choose between wifi and cellular network, I choose network
    07-03-09 03:48 PM
    From a business perspective, the lack of Wi-Fi means Verizon and Sprint can drag customers over hot coals by charging for overage (over 5GB/month).

More ways to screw customers.
    07-03-09 04:23 PM
    You know guys, I know you think the dead horse thing is funny, but some of us actually love horses. Please knock off the horrible pictures. Thank you.
    07-03-09 04:36 PM
    From a business perspective, the lack of Wi-Fi means Verizon and Sprint can drag customers over hot coals by charging for overage (over 5GB/month).

More ways to screw customers.

Except that Verizon gives wifi on win mo devices like the saga and the omnia..

Try again.
    07-03-09 04:45 PM
    I've had 3 BBs (Alltel Curve now) and am planning getting the Tour. I've never worried about wifi because I've had Alltel/VZ's 3g network for about 3 years. However, my wife got her 1st BB this week, the new Curve 8900 with T-Mobile, which has wifi. We set it up with our ultra high speed FIOS last night and I ran a spped test. It averages 3.8 Mb down and 800 Kb up. That is crazy fast- roughly 10 times faster than VZ 3g network in Tampa runs on average. Plus, if we had wifi, I could get quick service in very remote locations that create wifi with a satellite, which happens with me occassionally.

I'm still getting the Tour, but it does make you realize what we are missing with these CDMA devices. Your thoughts?

There IS no wifi in the VZW world.

They want you to use their network, which really isn't bad. I'm over looking for hotspots, most of which are insecure anyway.

The VZW network, which works anywhere you have cell service, is secure because it is YOUR connection.

Don't mind no wifi.

07-03-09 06:53 PM
    Yes we all know that both VZ and sprint think their data network is the gift of the gods...but.. its all about connectivity and wifi is here to stay..

not least of which is that my $500 BB would not be so much dead weight when travelling abroad..

They want you to use their network, which really isn't bad. I'm over looking for hotspots, most of which are insecure anyway.

The VZW network, which works anywhere you have cell service, is secure because it is YOUR connection.

Don't mind no wifi.

07-03-09 06:57 PM

Don't mind no wifi.

Wrong you are buddy boy, all the Win Mo phones have wifi.....sux for us bberry users!
    07-03-09 08:21 PM

WIFI is nice but not universally necessary.. Plus to get an experience like yours, every hot spot we hit would have to done by ultra high speed Verizon FIOS... WIFI will not ALWAYS be faster than EVDO REv-A. the remote location issue is a valid one, I just think it happens enough.
    07-03-09 08:31 PM
    Thank you. At least some see things my way
    07-03-09 10:05 PM
    WIFI is nice but not universally necessary.. Plus to get an experience like yours, every hot spot we hit would have to done by ultra high speed Verizon FIOS... WIFI will not ALWAYS be faster than EVDO REv-A. the remote location issue is a valid one, I just think it happens enough.
    Pretty much any WiFi network with broadband (read as: every one) will be faster than EVDO Rev. A, unless they shop at Walmart for internet.
    07-03-09 10:11 PM
    Wi-Fi is good to have and all, but its not like I "NEED' it. It's just a plus that I would not mind having at all.
    07-04-09 12:21 AM
    well for verizon blackberries, after the bb tour.. all the bb's coming out now for one after are going to have wifi on them...
    wifi is convenient, i always have 3g signal with vzw so i don't HATE it.. but it would be nice to have wifi sometimes
    07-04-09 01:06 AM

I would rather have a strong cell network then wifi, I still would like wifi, but if I had to choose between wifi and cellular network, I choose network
    AMEN to that Brother!
    07-04-09 01:12 AM

There are still some areas w/ no or very limited evdo coverage. I was working in one for two years before coverage was universally available.

The EVDO connection isn't completely firewalled. Some "hotspot" connections are.

Try running a webserver at a hotspot vs a tethered laptop.
    07-04-09 10:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD