Guess who's just dropped his 8900 in some water!!

I'm working from home today and just went to get a tissue to blow my nose; i was on hold on acall atthe time and had my BlackBerry in the crook of my neck an dfelt it slipping - it bounced on my wife's dressing table and ended up upside down with just the very top of the device sitting in a samll ramkin dish that my wife uses with her make-up....

I have to admin i screamed like a school girl! it was then very quickly whisked out of the water and frantci attempts to dry it are on-going. The only problem at the moment is the sound coming from the speaker seems very 'tinny' and distant...

Bugger!

Osh
    06-08-09 10:54 AM
    Pull the battery out, you do not want current flowing in the circuits while it is drying out.

Place it in a sealed container with some dry rice. Leave that in a warm place for several hours. That is your best chance of a recovery. Good luck.
    06-08-09 10:57 AM
    Throw it in the dryer... or microwave to dry it. Please don't I'm just kidding!
    06-08-09 11:00 AM
    Warm place in dry rice. May take a few but worth a shot as mentioned by Reed.
    06-08-09 11:12 AM
    Guys - thanks for your help - the battery was whipped out faster than a whippy out thing on whippy out day!

An hour in and the device is still working - as i say the speaker seems a little distant when you put it to my ears but i can live witht hat for now. If it fails i'll just have to beg another one from my RiM account manager....

Osh
    06-08-09 11:17 AM
    Don't turn it on! Take the battery out, put it in rice, and leave it at least 4 hrs. Turning it on could permanently damage your device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-09 11:54 AM
    BTW the recommendation is to leave the battery out for atleast a day or two.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-09 11:56 AM
    Couple of hours in and its working fine.....

Osh
    06-08-09 12:24 PM
    Why the necessity to go against all of the sound advise from the people you were asking for advise from. The battery should not be put back in for at least a day. For heaven's sake, do not ruin a perfectly innocent blackberry child. Put it on vacation for a little bit. Please man, this is painful...
    06-08-09 12:45 PM
    If the water was going to damage the electrical through current then it would have done so on contact. Besides, fresh water isn't really conductive when you're dealing with < 3V. There is almost no current flowing on the board inside the phone.

Now saltwater can be another story altogether...
    06-08-09 01:33 PM
    24 hours on and still going well..!! That's impressive....

jsshorter - if it failed i'd have given it to our engineers to refurb and we'd give it out as a trial device to clients and i'd get a new one from RiM; I'm very lucky in that i get to change my device around twice a year and get a lot of free/seed devices from RiM...

Osh
    06-09-09 05:01 AM
    that sucks dude! i think about how i would react if things like that happend to me everyday!
    06-09-09 05:07 AM
    yes but we have seen many phones get gone after the fact..

its a good idea to put it in a bag of dry rice for like a day or so..
    06-09-09 05:17 AM
    Good luck Osh keep us posted on the status of the berry.
    06-09-09 06:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD