We see thread after thread on these forums about how BlackBerry (the company) will die because it doesn't have smartphones with a bajillion apps... we (almost?) all know that the people who say that don't know that BlackBerry is much broader than smartphones.

Most Smartphone Users Download Zero Apps a Month
    RichardHBB likes this.
    03-26-15 04:56 PM
    I don't get the whole app fiend mentality either, and apparently someone's research debunks it just fine!

Total of apps downloaded on my BB10 device (not including updates to included apps like Facebook):

The freebie Pac-Man and Galaga games which I've played a couple of times. Square Register (Android app) for running credit cards at work. Torque Pro (made for BB) for scanning error codes on my cars.

So even I go against 65% of Comscore's findings, though not by much.

Richard
    taveesh likes this.
    03-26-15 05:26 PM
    We see thread after thread on these forums about how BlackBerry (the company) will die because it doesn't have smartphones with a bajillion apps... we (almost?) all know that the people who say that don't know that BlackBerry is much broader than smartphones.

Most Smartphone Users Download Zero Apps a Month
    That is a selective look at the article which points out that many people spend most of their time on one app among other things. And if a person gets 10 apps and keeps their phone 2 years that is zero apps in most months. But people still want those 10 apps.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-26-15 05:26 PM
    That is a selective look at the article which points out that many people spend most of their time on one app among other things. And if a person gets 10 apps and keeps their phone 2 years that is zero apps in most months. But people still want those 10 apps.
    I wouldn't disagree that we all need some apps; however, I think this illustrates that the "app gap" is nothing like the big deal it is painted to be; actually, we could probably infer from this that the effort required to bring a few more of the most-used apps native (or convert to HTML5) is not massive and targeted development effort or funding could relatively easily make it a virtual non-issue and either of those options is preferred to sideloading Android apps which don't always perform well, even with the new runtime.
    03-26-15 05:57 PM
    I think the article misses out on a lot. Or at least it chooses to overlook a lot.

Obviously most users only download a small fraction of the apps available. But that's attributed to individual needs The biggest draw is not that there are millions of apps available at your fingertips. But that the individual apps you need are there when you need them.

The luxury that iOS and Android users have with their respective app stores, is that no matter who you are, and you've ever posited the scenario "It would be nice if there were an app that...." and you're almost guaranteed to find exactly that in the apps store.

Even if you only ever install one app, the point that no matter who you are you're likely to find exactly that one app, is huge.

Via Tapatalk
    Bbnivende, JeepBB, ubizmo and 3 others like this.
    03-26-15 06:08 PM
    I don't get the whole app fiend mentality either, and apparently someone's research debunks it just fine!

Total of apps downloaded on my BB10 device (not including updates to included apps like Facebook):

The freebie Pac-Man and Galaga games which I've played a couple of times. Square Register (Android app) for running credit cards at work. Torque Pro (made for BB) for scanning error codes on my cars.

So even I go against 65% of Comscore's findings, though not by much.

Richard
    Hey thanks for mentioning Torque Pro, I was looking for something like that.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-15 06:09 PM
    It's not about the amount of apps, but the big name apps that really matters. BlackBerry doesn't have the big name apps that people want. Idc how many apps we have in the app world, if they don't have the app(s) I want/need I'll be using a different platform too.

Suffer Now & Live The Rest Of Your Life As A Champion
    03-26-15 06:30 PM
    Hey thanks for mentioning Torque Pro, I was looking for something like that.

Posted via CB10
    I've found it pretty useful; I've got a cheapie "mini-ELM 327" adapter picked up off ebay for under $20. It's the blue transparent plastic one you'll see dozens of sellers offering.

Richard
    03-26-15 06:36 PM
    I don't use a lot of apps such as games and ones that are the fad of the month type, however I do have 15 apps on my Passport that are android apps and ones that I use quite a bit. They have all came from the Amazon store and allow me to have all I need in a phone. But without the android runtime I would have to look elsewhere. So while I don't think that it's as bad as some make it out to be there's no denying native would be better. But that's not going to happen now so all we can hope for is the android compatibility continues to grow.

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport
    03-26-15 06:37 PM
    Oh boy, it all starts again about the app gap debate. The topic that never ever gets old
    acovey and JeepBB like this.
    03-26-15 06:37 PM
    Buying groceries for your home. Which store would you go - 7-11 or a supermarket?
    03-26-15 07:41 PM
    Buying groceries for your home. Which store would you go - 7-11 or a supermarket?
    7-11. Get my groceries while getting gas

03-26-15 08:28 PM
    I only use 3 apps and I don't really NEED them, I could live without them. I mostly use my phone as a phone (Talk, text and some email).
    acovey likes this.
    03-26-15 10:25 PM
    7-11. Get my groceries while getting gas

You must consume a lot of Slurpees, instant noodles and Spam
    03-26-15 10:55 PM
    It depends on your region too. If you live somewhere where local apps (most common culprit: Banking apps) aren't available on BB10, either through Blackberry World or the Amazon App store, then it's very likely people would gravitate to the platform that has the most number of those local apps.
    03-26-15 11:31 PM
    I don't "need" apps.

For when I am in some sort of need, or want to play a game or watch something, I'll use iPad or my Mac Book.

The apps I use are the stock weather, Twitter for BlackBerry, CB10, BBM, text/email obviously, and the web. That's all I want and need on my phone, and I'm not one to judge, but whenever I use a friend's iPhone or Android for something, they have their whole screen cluttered with apps... I get the hoarder vibe whenever I use an Android especially. Just a cluster of icons and endless swiping of menus. I've probably physically shuddered while attempting to use Android. iOS is not so bad, but it's still just tons of apps and rarely does the person ever really use all of them after a couple times.
    03-26-15 11:47 PM
    I have been nothing but a BlackBerry user since my Bold 9000 and I have never wanted for an app on any device. Granted I am not a game oriented person. The browser on BlackBerry 10 is so good I just go that route for my banking etc and I it is more secure. Between the Amazon app store and BlackBerry us BlackBerry users will be OK. Amazon and their app store is doing nothing but growing. If Chen can keep the great devices coming users will come back and that should help as well.

Z30-simply the best touch BlackBerry 10.3.1.1784
    03-26-15 11:49 PM
    You must consume a lot of Slurpees, instant noodles and Spam
    Who doesn't?

MarsupilamiX likes this.
    03-27-15 12:34 AM
    Regarding the apps, I spent two years within the apple ecosystem and I think I downloaded a total of maybe 20 apps over that time, I've had a passport for a week and I've filled two new pages with apps from bbworld and amazon and I haven't even tried snap yet.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-15 02:15 AM
    Every so often, that article (and ones like it) gets quoted as proof that the app gap is a myth.

JC definitely believes there is an app gap.

As already noted in this thread and elsewhere, the app gap is not necessarily about a million apps. Never has been. It's more about two or three anchor apps that individual people rather not do without.

No one "needs" apps. No one "needs" smartphones, or cars or even air conditioning. Life is easier with them, no?
    Donvald, JeepBB and GadgetTravel like this.
    03-27-15 03:51 AM
    BB10 doesn't suck because of a lack of apps. It makes some things a bit more time consuming. As a BB user (9780 is reactivated ) and my Nexus 5 as well as other people I can hopefully say that:

Apps aren't necessary, but they make things more stream lined and convenient.

This morning when I left the hotel I opened a pay by phone app and completed the car park payment in 20 seconds. Booking a table at my favourite restaurant with an app is a breeze.

The list goes on. Apps for me offer a great time saving value as they streamline a website with loads of information and condense them into a simple user interface. Which for me saves time and is less cumbersome than zooming in and out of a website and trying to hit all the right buttons etc. This even so is an issue for me on the Nexus 5.

So I say that apps aren't necessary, but they can make your life easier.
    GadgetTravel and RH1Pearl like this.
    03-27-15 04:17 AM