Greetings,

I am in the process of designing a case of my own for my Pearl that will allow it to also function as a standalone videocam on a mini tripod for when I'm recording myself playing guitar.

What I would like to know is what strength of Magnet I need to include in the flap to send it to standby mode?

If at all possible can someone send me the specs for the pouch case magnet?

Thank you,
    Dm
    03-13-08 01:23 PM
    wow, never heard that question asked before.

If you get no other responses (how does one even measure magnet strength?), I would suggest you buy a case (an OEM case) and either measure its strength or cut the magnet out and use it.

I even have at least one case I would give you, that is torn and no further use to me if you want to pay the $5 priority mail postage.
    03-13-08 01:36 PM
    I agree with jsanders as usual. Best bet I think would be to take one out of an existing case.

And a quick google search comes up with a couple interesting pages about measuring magnetism.

Measuring Mag Fields
    Magnetic units of measurement : MAGNETISM AND ELECTROMAGNETISM
    03-13-08 01:42 PM
    Thank you, Gentlemen.
    JSanders, I may take you up on that offer.
    I will get back with you by next Monday if I do not find an OEM case this weekend at the flea market or local Goodwills and Pawn Shops.

Thank you,
    Dm
    03-13-08 01:58 PM
    Sure... let me know, it will be after the 24th before I could ship, as I will be in R&R mode until then.
    03-13-08 02:01 PM
    Sure... let me know, it will be after the 24th before I could ship, as I will be in R&R mode until then.
    Not a problem.
    Most certainly enjoy yourself.

Thanks,
    Dm
    03-13-08 02:30 PM
    hmmm....If I can find a way to strap-mount the tripod onto this case...

RUBBERIZED CASE/HOLSTER COMBO FOR PEARL II - BD2-HLCSRBB8130-BK

I won't have to worry about the magnet issue.
    However, i'll have to fork over 50+ dollars to buy their Prefab product...

Choices...choices...

Dm
    03-13-08 03:03 PM
    It is my undersanding that the magnet that puts the BB in statndby is on the back of the case not the flap. The flap magnet only holds the flap. I have heard that if you cut the magnet out of the case that comes with the BB and glue/attach it to the back of a none BB case it will do the job.
    03-13-08 04:59 PM
    Go to RS or anywhere you can find that sticky magnet stuff. I bet it'll work. The ones in the case don't seem very strong. All you would have to do is hold the phone to the package. If it does not work RadioShack sells magnets for all kinds of projects.
    03-13-08 06:14 PM
    Thank you. I tested it out tonight with a few refrigerator magnets and they are definitely not strong enough it seems. I could have been placing the magnet in the wrong spot though. It looks like I'm going to have to take apart a case to find out the secret of the magnet to use it to my will and intent.

Dm

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-13-08 10:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD