Well, I got a Bold 9560 yesterday (factory refurb, but VZW certified) and this morning I got an odd email from what seems to be RIM.
    Here is a screenshot of the email... I can't be sure whether it is legit or someone trying to hack my phone, it just looked a bit odd...

Basically after that paragraph there is just a bunch of numbers and letters (code I guess), and a set of numbers at the bottom that is a link to something. Plus the attachment (which I have NOT opened).

I can post more of the email if you guys would like.

What exactly should I do?
    03-22-11 07:41 AM
    Well, I got a Bold 9560 yesterday (factory refurb, but VZW certified) and this morning I got an odd email from what seems to be RIM.
    Here is a screenshot of the email... I can't be sure whether it is legit or someone trying to hack my phone, it just looked a bit odd...

Basically after that paragraph there is just a bunch of numbers and letters (code I guess), and a set of numbers at the bottom that is a link to something. Plus the attachment (which I have NOT opened).

I can post more of the email if you guys would like.

What exactly should I do?
    Leave it alone

and let it do it's thing
    it will wipe itself later
    03-22-11 07:45 AM
    Did you sign up for BES or a personal BIS account?

It looks like messages that are used to confirm connections, either to BES or to something different. It could be that if you installed Desktop Manager onto your computer, you may have picked BES and your BB is trying to confirm.

I also remember seeing messages like that a couple of years ago when the first beta testing was being done on BBM.
    03-22-11 07:49 AM
    I'm not on BES. My phone is for personal use (I'm in high school...)

I just hope its not something trying to hack my device.

Ill leave it alone and just let it do its think though.

Thanks for the quick repies!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-22-11 08:02 AM
    Your device is not being hacked.

Just let it run it's course as mentioned above.
    03-22-11 08:15 AM
    Okay, people are saying let it run its course, but no one's saying what it is and why he should do that. So ... What is the mystery message, and what does it do when it runs its course?

03-22-11 09:21 AM
    Depends on how the user setup and wants things to be setup. But.......

KB04254-Network@etp email messages are received on the BlackBerry smartphone and email application

Frequent email messages from [email protected] (where XX are variables depending on the BlackBerry smartphone user's location) appear on the BlackBerry smartphone or the email application (for example, Microsoft� Outlook�). The body of the email message displays the following:
    This message is used to carry data between the BlackBerry Handheld and an associated server. Please do not delete, move or respond to this message - it will be processed by the server.
    The email message also contains an ETP.DAT attachment.

Environment

• BlackBerry� Desktop Software
    • BlackBerry� Enterprise Server
    • BlackBerry smartphones

Cause
    This issue can be caused by the following:

1. BlackBerry� Desktop Manager has been configured to use the BlackBerry Enterprise Server or BlackBerry� Desktop Redirector while the BlackBerry smartphone is configured to use the BlackBerry Internet Service.
    2. A BlackBerry smartphone contains Desktop[...] service books that are attempting to communicate with the BlackBerry Enterprise Server or BlackBerry Desktop Redirector while the BlackBerry smartphone is configured to use the BlackBerry Internet Service.
    3. A BlackBerry smartphone is attempting to perform the enterprise activation process.
    curve247 likes this.
    03-22-11 09:27 AM
    Thank you, John.

03-22-11 09:30 AM
    Whats odd is that I have never used BES and my DM is definitely not hooked up to BES... I guess I will just let the email do its thing: it hasn't disrupted anything on my phone yet, so I'm fine with it.
    03-22-11 12:37 PM
    I Would follow to step 1 and check. Make sure it's not installed that way. Also Check Service books, just in case.
    03-22-11 12:45 PM
    John Yester is right!
    03-22-11 03:11 PM
    I don't know much about this email... but...

I don't know how your carrier support line work... my phone company have 24/7 technical support and I had an issue with email service books once and I called them and they test the connections for me and re-pushed the service books.

If you want to be on the safe side, I would call for help from the carrier. That's what I would do for sure.
    03-22-11 09:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD