For the question as to whether BBM has to be open in order to receive the D, I just added my SGIII to my iPhone 5 as contacts.

The D appears instantly on the iPhone 5 running stock iOS7 and it appears instantly on my SGIII running stock 4.1.2 with the recipient phone app closed.

There is a couple of seconds' delay in adding groups and contacts on the SGIII. I had to force close the app before my iPhone 5 would show up. I then deleted myself and added the SGIII to the iPhone and the iPhone 5 added me instantly.

So.....what reliability problems?

Sent from whichever BBM carrying device I happen to grab, via Tapatalk
    bungaboy, hamsterwheel and FRG_RC like this.
    11-03-13 04:22 AM
    For the question as to whether BBM has to be open in order to receive the D, I just added my SGIII to my iPhone 5 as contacts.

The D appears instantly on the iPhone 5 running stock iOS7 and it appears instantly on my SGIII running stock 4.1.2 with the recipient phone app closed.

There is a couple of seconds' delay in adding groups and contacts on the SGIII. I had to force close the app before my iPhone 5 would show up. I then deleted myself and added the SGIII to the iPhone and the iPhone 5 added me instantly.

So.....what reliability problems?

I dont think you can count your little test as a reliability test, did you try wifi? with a free hotspot? with another carrier? while it work for you, you can't assume it work for everyone. you could say 'work fine on my end' but you can't say everything is good, I had some issue with some BlackBerry device that didn't want to reveiced bbm msg while they were switching from a wifi network to another, not all had problem, I would test my device with another one and everything was working fine, but with their device it was another story, just saying.
    11-03-13 05:04 AM
    My "little test" was on wifi and on the network. I NEVER use free/open wifi.

Additionally this was my experience and I don't profess to conduct SAT or UAT for either BB or ATT. It meant to show whether the app needed to be open and running to show D, and THAT I did.

11-03-13 05:16 AM
    You all do realize that the iPhone users have to have bbm app open to get their messages right? If they don't have it constantly open it won't have the d for delivered. That's why blackberry is better for multitasking.

I bb me a friend on iPhone and didn't hear from her for two days....I then texted and she said she didn't have it open.
    11-03-13 06:15 AM
    You all do realize that the iPhone users have to have bbm app open to get their messages right? If they don't have it constantly open it won't have the d for delivered. That's why blackberry is better for multitasking.

I bb me a friend on iPhone and didn't hear from her for two days....I then texted and she said she didn't have it open.
    Did you even read qs post? Seriously? Ugh.

Posted via CB10
    Blacklatino and paper_monkey like this.
    11-03-13 06:19 AM
    and you are one who found perfection in man made stuff and the Fountain of Youth and Cortez Gold and the Hanging Gardens of Babylon and the Lost World Of Atlantis and the Lost Ark...a few complaints too many or are you just another thread starter to start a thread..

still I guess we should be happy you started the thread with the mandatory: I have been a BB fan since......(fill in the blanks) good on yer
    BOOO!! No need for that sour attitude
    11-03-13 07:00 AM
    Crackberry Geek,.. 34 posts! HMM
    bungaboy and BerryWizard like this.
    11-03-13 07:05 AM
    You all do realize that the iPhone users have to have bbm app open to get their messages right? If they don't have it constantly open it won't have the d for delivered.
    Your knowledge of iOS multitasking is a bit off.

What you are saying is only sometimes true for BBM in my testing. BBM will sometimes wake up while in the background to process new messages. Sometimes it fails to do this in my testing. I haven't found a pattern to this yet, but I would say it is definitely a bug.
    richardat likes this.
    11-03-13 07:07 AM

I don't believe this to be the case. Maybe I'm wrong (I'm certainly not an IOS expert) but I'm quite sure that if they have their notifications set to display banners, they should be receiving banners of incoming BBM messages even if BBM app is not open. I have test this with a couple of IOS devices and it seems to work this way... just not reliably (yes it does work promptly some times, but also often delayed).
    richardat likes this.
    11-03-13 09:41 AM
    Crackberry Geek,.. 34 posts! HMM
    Yup... I'm usually too busy for this kind of childish behavior in response to serious questions... but thanks for your oh so thoughtful response...
    11-03-13 09:43 AM
    I have seen some indication that there may be something to do with whether the iPhone user actually has the BBM app open and in focus, whether you get confirmation of delivery or not.

As I previously wrote here, it would not surprise me if BBM requires the app to be actively in use (ie "in the foreground") to provide "D" feedback, because according to what I understand (need to further investigate this) Apple Push Notification Service ("APNS") is only a "best effort" service and cannot provide concrete confirmation of notification delivery back to the notification source, and iOS up until recently doesn't support universal multitasking. (see below)

Obviously an "R" indication requires the app to be in active use because that is the only way the message can be read in its entirety, AFAIK.

It's also possible that BlackBerry hasn't taken full advantage of the iOS platform and perhaps there is something else they can do with the iOS app to provide background delivery confirmations.

(Did some quick checking and according to what I can see, there really wasn't any facility for continuous background message reception in iOS prior to iOS 7 other than APNS, which is a separate system service. Are the iOS BBM users that people are seeing delayed delivery notifications to running iOS 6 or earlier?)

Android on the other hand has supported background processes for years. (One of the reasons Android apps running under BB10 can often cause high battery drain)
    THANK YOU!!!

What a thoughtful, intelligent and well thought out response. This is the kind of discussion intended.

And to many of the rest of you children... shame on you for wasting so much time with your rubbish bashing...

No... I don't post often... primarily because I lack the time to sift through the BS to get to real data...
    11-03-13 09:46 AM
    Wow. It's a first release. Most do have bugs. Give it some updates and if it is still the same then yes panic LOL.
    11-03-13 09:51 AM

No. The app does not have to be open. I BBMd myself from my SGIII and received the D. I also got the little number on the icon to tell me I had one message. I also got the D on the SGIII when I BBMd myself from the iPhone. However there was no number on the BBM icon, only the notification on the status bar that there was a BBM message.

Please don't make statements that are not borne in fact.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-03-13 09:57 AM
    Walked in. Saw "Firstly, I am a died in the wool BlackBerry fan...have been since 2002..." Walked out.
    bungaboy and Omnitech like this.
    11-03-13 10:15 AM
    Zero problems for me and I do see that BBM messages go through faster than Whatsapp messages to the same person.

Posted via my CB Q10
    11-03-13 10:18 AM
    How many grammar errors in this thread's title alone ?

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-03-13 10:56 AM
    Walked in. Saw "Firstly, I am a died in the wool BlackBerry fan...have been since 2002..." Walked out.
    Especially as the OP fool doesn't know it is supposed to be "dyed in the wool"!

JAFTP!
    11-03-13 11:36 AM
    How many grammar errors in this thread's title alone ?

Posted via CB10
    More proof you don't need a high IQ to troll.
    11-03-13 11:37 AM
    Especially as the OP fool doesn't know it is supposed to be "dyed in the wool"!

JAFTP!
    Yup, I typo'd. It's been pointed out by a number of other children before you. Thanks again for your helpful rubbish...
    techvisor likes this.
    11-03-13 11:59 AM
    Yup, I typo'd. It's been pointed out by a number of other children before you. Thanks again for your helpful rubbish...
    If you're going to point out flaws in BlackBerry hardware or software on here mate, you need really really thick skin!
    You'll be amazed by some of the people here.

Posted via CB10
    m1a1mg, richardat and techvisor like this.
    11-03-13 12:46 PM
    Panic? Is it really ever time to panic? You were embarrassed for sure as others were, and it does look as if BlackBerry might have missed the mark again... But panic? Over the failure of a cross platform tech roll-out?

It is, of course, your choice of how you react, or over react, to any situation.

It seems to me that very few tech things, hard or soft, are correct or perfect on day one. Some could have been but nothing comes to mind.
    Just be patient, take a deep breath, and wait. They will fix it or not. The PlayBook is a good example. At this time BlackBerry has said it is not continuing to love on it. No future in it for them. I have to think BBM IS core to the survival of the company. If they can't get it correct......
    11-03-13 01:10 PM
    If you're going to point out flaws in BlackBerry hardware or software on here mate, you need really really thick skin!
    You'll be amazed by some of the people here.

Posted via CB10
    Yup. You're right. The thing is... I don't take it personally. But my time is valuable and it does really **** me off to have useless idiots constantly wasting space and time.

I keep watching this thread because I do keep finding some posts with very valuable input (and many thanks for those of you who've done so).

I'm likely overly optimistic to think that calling out the useless idiots might result is less dribble from them...
    techvisor likes this.
    11-03-13 01:12 PM
    They don't reroute it. The app is designed to go to SMS is iMessage is not available. Seamlessly.

Which is basically exactly what he said. Messages originally intended to go via iMessage are re-routed via SMS.

As I wish BBM would have when BIS has been down.

I can see the value in both approaches. BlackBerry is taking the "intelligent user" approach, Apple is taking the "technology is secondary" approach.

The disadvantage of changing the method of delivery without notice to the user is that in some cases it will cost the user significant money (USians often forget how costly mobile service is to the average person in developing countries, for example), and sometimes there are differences in the way the delivery works that changes the nature of the communication. (ie, sending files. Some SMS users can't receive them at all, some it costs an exorbitant amount of money, and some - as used to be the case when I had a BlackBerry Bold - might experience a lockup of their device if someone tries to send them a large file or image via SMS/MMS.)
    Last edited by BergerKing; 11-04-13 at 10:01 AM.
    11-03-13 01:30 PM

No. The app does not have to be open. I BBMd myself from my SGIII and received the D. I also got the little number on the icon to tell me I had one message. I also got the D on the SGIII when I BBMd myself from the iPhone. However there was no number on the BBM icon, only the notification on the status bar that there was a BBM message.

Please don't make statements that are not borne in fact.

Since your test seemed to be in response to my earlier post about BBM possibly needing to be in the foreground in iOS 6 and prior, I don't think you completely absorbed what I wrote there.

What I wrote is that iOS 7 has greatly improved the multitasking and background task support, so it's not really a surprise to me that your test to an iPhone running iOS7 was fine.

The real question is whether this is consistently the case with iOS 6 and prior.

Perhaps what someone else subsequently posted about messaging apps (and BBM) periodically waking themselves up to process messages is true - this is what I alluded to when I pointed-out that perhaps BlackBerry was not fully taking all possible advantage of the iOS platform to keep message processing going even when the app is not in the foreground.

Did you even read qs post? Seriously? Ugh.
    See above. Not everyone in the world with an iPhone uses iOS7. In fact a significant number tried it, hated it, and reverted.
    11-03-13 01:36 PM
    Yup... I'm usually too busy for this kind of childish behavior in response to serious questions... but thanks for your oh so thoughtful response...
    So...you do admit that you are being childish ?

Just a question buddy, don't jump on my throat through.....

Posted via CB10
    11-03-13 01:50 PM
182 ... 23456 ...