Firstly, I am a died in the wool BlackBerry fan...have been since 2002...paid full price in cash for PlayBook (which turned out to be disappointment) and full price in cash for my current Z10...which I LOVE... but now I truly believe BlackBerry Will not make it...which saddens me.

Here's why...

...BBM is not reliable across platforms. Most around me are on iPhones. I couldn't wait to get them on BBM so they can communicate with me when I travel. They have now done so. And, we've used it enough to discover that messages are not reliably delivered to iPhone on BBM. It often works, but also the is often delay of as much as 2 days before delivery.

This is a deal breaker. Reliability is fundamental and without that we are doomed.

Very sad...

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 12:02 PM
    i'm hearing a few complain about this, yet i have overall like 80 iphone and android users and msg's don't stick for me.
    11-02-13 12:05 PM
    Glad it's working for you. But a few complaints is a few too many. This is not rocket science. Reliability is mandatory... there is no excuse for anything less in something as simple as messaging. iMessage gets it, Whatsapp gets it, Line gets it, Skype gets it... hell, even standard SMS text messages can be relied on.

Security and reliability were about all we had left to brag about. Now we don't even have that...
    11-02-13 12:10 PM
    Firstly, I am a died in the wool BlackBerry fan...have been since 2002...paid full price in cash for PlayBook (which turned out to be disappointment) and full price in cash for my current Z10...which I LOVE... but now I truly believe BlackBerry Will not make it...which saddens me.

Here's why...

...BBM is not reliable across platforms. Most around me are on iPhones. I couldn't wait to get them on BBM so they can communicate with me when I travel. They have now done so. And, we've used it enough to discover that messages are not reliably delivered to iPhone on BBM. It often works, but also the is often delay of as much as 2 days before delivery.

This is a deal breaker. Reliability is fundamental and without that we are doomed.

Very sad...

Posted via CB10
    While I don't think XBBM is doomed per say but nor do I think it is par at the moment. they need to bring the features and enhancement and deliver video, voice and channels asap. Its one thing to get folks to install, to stay and use it is another ball game as there are way too many message programs out there. I find myself installed, got a group of 20+ friends to install it but usage is almost rare to nothing not because its not good but other than it being XBBM and can send message *secure* is not something most casual users care of.
    11-02-13 12:15 PM
    Yes... but this is more about reliability. I HAVE used it enough now to know that messages from my BB10 do not reliably get delivered promptly to IOS users. That is a HUGE deal breaker. If one cannot count on a simple text based message being delivered reliably and promptly, BBM will NEVER make it cross platform. I don't care what features may come... we'll never get there without reliability.

And this is what leads me to believe we're doomed. BB already has lost most of it's credibility to follow through with delivering their promises on time. Now we can't even rely on the BBM product as reliable.
    xiaohuaxing likes this.
    11-02-13 12:32 PM
    Unfortunately I've found this as well, cross platform BBM is very very unreliable, much more so than WhatsApp for example.
    While this may improve, will people stick around the find out?
    Unclear.
    richardat likes this.
    11-02-13 12:33 PM
    Reliability has been up and down for me in my own testing. They do need to fix that, but I wouldn't say it's doomed. They just need to work very hard on this very quickly.
    11-02-13 12:41 PM
    This thought just struck me... do you think there might be something within IOS that is preventing reliable delivery from BB?

I'm not usually a conspiracy nut... but this could have been such a huge hit... I wouldn't put it past IOS... if they could find a way of corrupting BBM reliability... I wouldn't put it past 'em...
    11-02-13 12:42 PM
    Glad it's working for you. But a few complaints is a few too many. This is not rocket science. Reliability is mandatory... there is no excuse for anything less in something as simple as messaging. iMessage gets it, Whatsapp gets it, Line gets it, Skype gets it... hell, even standard SMS text messages can be relied on.

Security and reliability were about all we had left to brag about. Now we don't even have that...
    Yea, ok, but whatsapp was down just few days ago, Imessage? Lol has its down times also,

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 12:44 PM
    It;'s called first gen software for the two platforms.... so expect issues... that fact BB has pushed out a number of updates for IOS is positive.. also you do tend to hear about the negative in all user experiences.... seldom do you hear how great somthing is... thus is human nature... I use an Iphone for work and have not found the issues many are talking about.... could be a carrier issue.... if Apple wanted to impede BBM the more simpler way would be to simply delay the updates... which would impact everyone.... as for BB being dead due to BBM.... if all BB did was BBM then yes... could be but at this point there are more components at play... network services which appears to be going well.... smartphones.. well what can I say.... and finnally BBM which if whatever glitches are ironed out has great potential if monetized....
    11-02-13 12:49 PM
    True that Whatsapp was down. But when it was down, everyone knew it and just waited until it came back. With BBM, you just don't know why messages aren't being delivered. Since I use mostly for business, that just simply is not acceptable. I can't sit around waiting and wondering when my client will get my message. At least with Whatsapp, everyone knew it was down and just used alternatives until it was back up.

With iMessage... has it ever been down? I don't know, haven't heard that...
    anon(4044683) and xiaohuaxing like this.
    11-02-13 12:49 PM
    It;'s called first gen software for the two platforms.... so expect issues... that fact BB has pushed out a number of updates for IOS is positive.. also you do tend to hear about the negative in all user experiences.... seldom do you hear how great somthing is... thus is human nature... I use an Iphone for work and have not found the issues many are talking about.... could be a carrier issue.... if Apple wanted to impede BBM the more simpler way would be to simply delay the updates... which would impact everyone.... as for BB being dead due to BBM.... if all BB did was BBM then yes... could be but at this point there are more components at play... network services which appears to be going well.... smartphones.. well what can I say.... and finnally BBM which if whatever glitches are ironed out has great potential if monetized....
    While I agree with most of what you've pointed out, this is not a complicated app... especially when it doesn't yet include voice, video or channels cross platform.

There is simply no excuse for reliability issues with simply messaging. I use a number of other messaging applications. Without exception, none of them have had this reliability issue on a random basis (either they work or they don't... and you know it... while with BBM you just sit around wondering when a message might be delievered).
    11-02-13 12:52 PM

With iMessage... has it ever been down? I don't know, haven't heard that...
    Oh come on now... Really?
    iMessage is down. Again. | iMore

Sheesh...
    11-02-13 12:57 PM
    I have a Torch 9800 and my brother has an iPhone5. We live in Barbados and we're on different carriers yet we have no problems sending and receiving BBM messages between each other.
    cdnrower, Elite1 and alan510 like this.
    11-02-13 01:07 PM
    Ahh help I'm panicking!

Posted via CB10
    Elite1 and paper_monkey like this.
    11-02-13 01:08 PM
    Nothing I've used has ever been perfectly reliable - calls have not gone through, SMS has failed, emails not delivered. Nobody guaranteed 100% delivery with any mobile messaging service. That would be foolish.
    antikorr, paper_monkey and alan510 like this.
    11-02-13 01:19 PM
    Question : I know iPhone is pulled email. Is xbbm pushed or need pulled? Or is there a setting needed to get it almost instantly like active Sync?

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 01:49 PM
    I hear you. We tried BBM in the office with 10 people over wifi. Mostly people with iPhones and some Androids and they were super excited to try it. We didn't experience 2 day delay but 10-20 min for a message to arrive. Needles to say the excitement went down hill very quickly.
    cwalt2166 and richardat like this.
    11-02-13 02:13 PM

and you are one who found perfection in man made stuff and the Fountain of Youth and Cortez Gold and the Hanging Gardens of Babylon and the Lost World Of Atlantis and the Lost Ark...a few complaints too many or are you just another thread starter to start a thread..

still I guess we should be happy you started the thread with the mandatory: I have been a BB fan since......(fill in the blanks) good on yer
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-02-13 02:17 PM
    its actually only a good time as BBM is doing well ,with more updates it will be great.
    11-02-13 02:18 PM
    And here come the bashers now...geez...this is why I usually have better things to do than start threads...

Posted via CB10
    klubbkidd, richardat and techvisor like this.
    11-02-13 02:20 PM
    Further...BBM was kind of a Hail Mary...and if it doesn't work...NOW...it is too late...that's pretty basic and worth starting a thread over.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-13 02:22 PM
    I will have to agree, I have less issues with Android contacts, but there are at least 2 ios users that the messages do not go through. They complain that at times they see the notification on the lock screen bit nothing in the bbm app. They are both using an iPhone 4, one is on ios7 and one is on ios6.

Posted via CB10
    SifiGamer likes this.
    11-02-13 02:23 PM
    I don't want to be too negative here, and don't know if panicking is appropriate. Basically I'm happy that BBM finally got released on other platforms. However, I have to admit that in the last 2 days, there were severe problems with message delivery between my BB10 device and my iOS friends. In total, we lost about 15 mesages which never got delivered. One friend even sent me a screenshot to prove that he sent me 3 messages, which never arrived, and all got marked with the white x on red ground on his iPhone.

On my end, I noticed a couple of messages to iOS users that where marked with the grey check mark on my phone, which then changed into the white/red x after 20 minutes or so. This was true for 1:1 and group conversations. All of us were in areas with good Wifi or 3G connections, and none of our (different!) carriers had any problems.

I think what BB has to work on, in order to make this a success, is the following, importance in descending order, and 1.)-3.) being VERY important to get delivered VERY quickly:

1.) 99.999% reliability & speed
    2.) landscape mode typing (most of my iPhone friends (and I) hate portrait mode typing with a passion)
    3.) WP 8 support
    4.) voice messaging/calling
    5.) video calling
    6.) desktop client
    11-02-13 02:24 PM
    Second it. It appears there is a lag with some iPhone contacts or failure to show D/R. I've had no problems with android contacts. Need to fix those dam iPhones
    acovey likes this.
    11-02-13 02:25 PM
182 123 ...