Because Mr. Chen hired this guy (https://www.linkedin.com/pub/mark-wilson/0/21/b6b) which I'm pretty sure is a great guy and is credible in his craft as Corporate marketing but he have no experience in consumer marketing. Do you think BlackBerry need another marketing executive?
    04-26-15 02:52 AM
    He has 500 + connections and only 2 recommendations if that helps

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.500
    04-26-15 02:55 AM
    Or BlackBerry is no longer marketing to consumers as they have stated.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 02:58 AM
    Instagram or Linkedin connections? LOL

He has 500 + connections and only 2 recommendations if that helps

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.500
    04-26-15 02:58 AM
    Consumer is more important if you're really pushing for device sales. Chen needs to draw back some of the old consumers who were fans and let them know BlackBerry still makes phone.

Or BlackBerry is no longer marketing to consumers as they have stated.

Posted via CB10
    notador and Q10Bold like this.
    04-26-15 03:06 AM
    Consumer is more important if you're really pushing for device sales. Chen needs to draw back some of the old consumers who were fans and let them know BlackBerry still makes phone.
    And that is the crux. Chen wants devices to be profitable and make money in order to keep hardware division open. That is where the line gets blurred.

As long as the hardware side stays in the black then BlackBerry will make phones under Chen. The amount of phones sold does not matter. The revenue matters.

Now you started with "if you're pushing device sales" BlackBerry is currently pushing software sales. The devices are an added bonus if they keep staying in the black. If not than we all lose out in the device side.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    04-26-15 03:14 AM
    If they stopped making handsets, they would appear to be a diminished, failed company who is no longer full-service and no one will want their software. Even if they have to take a loss on each one sold, they have to have handsets and they should be killers. Business people are also consumers too.

TCB on Z10
    04-26-15 03:59 AM
    If they stopped making handsets, they would appear to be a diminished, failed company who is no longer full-service and no one will want their software. Even if they have to take a loss on each one sold, they have to have handsets and they should be killers. Business people are also consumers too.

TCB on Z10
    I agree 100%, in today's business world it's all about being value added and long term stability when purchasing capital equipment.

That's the exact reason all of my clients have abandoned the brand here in the U.S.
    thymaster and TCB on Z10 like this.
    04-26-15 04:26 AM
    Because Mr. Chen hired this guy (https://www.linkedin.com/pub/mark-wilson/0/21/b6b) which I'm pretty sure is a great guy and is credible in his craft as Corporate marketing but he have no experience in consumer marketing. Do you think BlackBerry need another marketing executive?
    Yuck he was at Avaya before? Given what my Avaya sales rep has had to deal with from inept corporate execs in that time period..... Sad they have great products and no focus....

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    thymaster likes this.
    04-26-15 08:37 AM

TCB on Z10
    Exactly!

There is no reason why a business phone can't also be a really great consumer phone...
    thymaster likes this.
    04-26-15 09:06 AM
    You're just realizing this op...this has been a long time issue.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 09:23 AM
    If you look further down his LinkedIn profile you will see he is an old Sybase guy. Explains why Chen hired him.
    04-26-15 09:29 AM
    I definitely understand. It would seem the power that be at BlackBerry are looking to outsource the design, manufacturing and even the historic look of a BlackBerry Devices.
    It would seem, they would simply wish to concentrate on selling software to Enterprise and even the Device Competitors. If they could sell the BlackBerry 10 OS to the competition and profit from just that, they would.

I have seem many "beautiful" concepts of possible new BlackBerry's, that never make it to market. Or they dumb down the specs and make the unit initial available to a few segments of marketplace .

I came to BlackBerry after leaving Windows 6.5, because they lost their way and stop supposing their Mobile Community. I consider myself a Business Professional who relies on security and dread the thought of using an IPhone or Android device . But will there be a choice in the future.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 10:42 AM
    Yea ppl made fun of my passport yesterday. Had no idea BlackBerry was still alive...didnt know what to say because wasnt in the mood for arguing..

Posted via CB10
    thymaster likes this.
    04-26-15 01:21 PM
    I think John Chen knows Blackberry's corporate strategy better than we do.

ETA: Top line models aren't what fleet sales typically look for and fleet sales models aren't really what consumers want. Until BBRY's revenues and fortunes stabilize I don't think they will try to serve both fully.

Also, unless BYOD crashes and burns big time we are 1) not going to see big numbers of the enterprise contracts any more and 2) BB handsets will continue to struggle in sales.
    04-26-15 02:11 PM

TCB on Z10
    Unless you are Microsoft or other similarly large entities that have other very profitable business units to provide virtually unlimited cash to burn, taking loss is unsustainable.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 02:49 PM
    Consumers are no longer BlackBerry's target, and they are trying to diversify their offerings so that they're no longer reliant on device sales to drive revenue.

Business people are consumers too, but it's important to keep in mind that consumer expectations have changed since the days of RIM's initial success in the mid to late 2000s. Having a real time always connected communications experience with push email, an instant messenger, and hardware keyboard, with PIM functionality and a few basic apps sprinkled in was great for back in the day. It was indispensable for mobile workers' productivity, and people gradually learned to integrate and want that experience into their everyday personal lives. Now things like that are part of any smartphone OS experience, and consumers expect more. Like it or not, the iOS and Android offerings and user experience are better able to walk that line between appealing to both business and consumer interests, whereas BlackBerry is clearly focused on the business end of the spectrum.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with going after a niche market - it's just that success is measured differently. In BlackBerry's case, it's not how much of the consumer market it can regain.
    johnny_bravo72 likes this.
    04-26-15 02:59 PM