Hey,

Yesterday, I upgraded my curve 8520 to a Torch 9860 (lovely phone), and transferred the sim from the old phone into the new one. I have had to set everything back up again, such as BBM pin, twitter, Facebook etc etc, but, me being me, left the phone off but with the alarm set for my morning call, so this morning, my 8520 burst into life with the alarm.

However, as the phone was set to on, I was greeted with 5 Facebook notifications and twitter messages, although my accounts are now set up on the 9860. Am I missing the obvious here, but how can my 8520 alert me if there is no sim in the phone.

Upon checking my data allowances, I have extra charges outside of my allowance, which I can only assume is from the data used in retreiving the facebook and Twitter notifcations. I am wary of switching on that device again for fear of extra charges being applied again.

Can anyone help me in telling me why my old phone is still notifying me of things, and if there is a way of stopping alerts and the like being sent to my phone please?

Ideally, I would like to give the 8520 to my son so that its easier for him to contact me via BBM. I know that I will have to set up a data plan for these things, but if anyone can help out with the alerts for the time being, that would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Fruitini
    10-19-11 12:18 PM
    Just do a security wipe. Job done

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-19-11 03:05 PM
    Thanks for the tip. Will try that.

Thanks
    10-20-11 05:36 AM
    Full security wipe through options-security-security wipe

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-11 05:42 AM
    Hey,

Yesterday, I upgraded my curve 8520 to a Torch 9860 (lovely phone), and transferred the sim from the old phone into the new one. I have had to set everything back up again, such as BBM pin, twitter, Facebook etc etc, but, me being me, left the phone off but with the alarm set for my morning call, so this morning, my 8520 burst into life with the alarm.

However, as the phone was set to on, I was greeted with 5 Facebook notifications and twitter messages, although my accounts are now set up on the 9860. Am I missing the obvious here, but how can my 8520 alert me if there is no sim in the phone.

Upon checking my data allowances, I have extra charges outside of my allowance, which I can only assume is from the data used in retreiving the facebook and Twitter notifcations. I am wary of switching on that device again for fear of extra charges being applied again.

Can anyone help me in telling me why my old phone is still notifying me of things, and if there is a way of stopping alerts and the like being sent to my phone please?

Ideally, I would like to give the 8520 to my son so that its easier for him to contact me via BBM. I know that I will have to set up a data plan for these things, but if anyone can help out with the alerts for the time being, that would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Fruitini

The data charges are unrelated.

Without a SIM card the device has no physical way of contacting your carriers network. Its not could/should/wont scenario, its just not earthly possible.

The notifications you are receiving are due to your device being connected to wifi. A security wipe as other have suggested will fix this, but so would just disabling the wifi. That said, the security wipe should be done before giving it away or selling it anyway.
    Last edited by just_luc; 10-20-11 at 10:16 AM.
    10-20-11 10:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD