I created a notification profile exception which contains five contacts. I want the phone to use the "phone only" profile and ring normally for these contacts even if a different profile (like "quiet") is in use. I've noticed that it does this, but only if my phone isn't locked. When the phone is locked, it still uses the active profile for the exception list. (I suspect this might have something to do with content protection being enabled with address book included, but I want that part to be like that.) Am I missing another setting or is it just the nature of the beast? At night I want the phone to ring for these contacts in the case of an emergency but remain quiet for all others. The trouble is that when the security timeout kicks in while I'm sleeping I won't hear the phone ring when one of my emergency contacts tries to call.
    08-10-10 08:18 AM
    Okay, I composed this post today. I was googling around to try to find the answer to my question and found this:

Notification profile exception question � DoGizmo.com

How do you suppose that happened? Is there some spyware at work on my computer?
    08-10-10 09:16 PM
    I think someone is copy and pasting questions from CB on that website. I
    doubt you have a spyware on your PC that could post your question there.
    08-11-10 12:01 AM
    Nobody has any thoughts on this problem? Yes, I'm using a password. Yes, I allow outgoing calls when the phoe is locked. No, my address book is not available for outgoing calls when the phone is locked. And when the phone does ring while locked, caller ID displays the number only, as it should. Yes, notification profiles work, but only if the phone is unlocked. That's my gripe. The phone locks after a security timeout of one hour, and the exception(s) no longer work as, in my opinion, they should. I think it has something to do with the caller ID feature. But there's no reason why the phone shouldn't ring as per the exception just because the phone is locked; the caller ID could simply display the number, as it does anyway when the phone is locked.
    08-13-10 02:16 PM
    If you feel this is indeed a problem with the OS, contact RIM with a request that they consider changing the operation of notification features in a future OS release.
    08-13-10 02:24 PM
    Good idea. I didn't think of that. Thanks!
    08-13-10 02:38 PM
    UPDATE:

Notification profile exception working right and as expected when phone is locked! I had the "custom ring tone" box selected in the exception. I'm not sure what that's for or why it wasn't working with it checked, but I unchecked it, and it's working swimmingly now.
    08-25-10 11:07 PM
    UPDATE:

Notification profile exception working right and as expected when phone is locked! I had the "custom ring tone" box selected in the exception. I'm not sure what that's for or why it wasn't working with it checked, but I unchecked it, and it's working swimmingly now.
    UPDATE (further testing):

I'm sorry to report that I jumped the gun in my last post. My active profile was programmed to ring out of the holster. Conclusion: NOTIFICATION PROFILE EXCEPTIONS SIMPLY DO NOT WORK WHEN THE PHONE IS LOCKED. Ridiculous. I'm giving up.
    08-26-10 12:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD