Hi everyone,

I have a Torch 9800, which I got on a promotional deal for my contract a few months ago. I like it, but I am finding the slider a little annyoing as I am always typing and I don't really like the "stiff" feel that the keys have. They are fine, and much better than a lot of qwerty phones I have tried but I prefer the Bold keyboard. Particulary the 9780, and the 9900.

I have two choices, I am going to give my Torch to my friend who had her BlackBerry stolen and can't pay for another one right now. I'll get myself either the Bold 9780 which I have seen around, and I have seen the PlayBook heavily discounted so I thought I'd get one too!

But I am wondering if I should just ignore the PlayBook and get the Bold 9900. For the price of this I can get the Bold 9780 and a PlayBook, but if I go for the 9900 - I can only afford that.

My use for my BlackBerry really is these things: BBM, Email, SMS messaging, Twitter, Whatsapp, Music, a few apps which I think are available for the 9780 such as Dictionary & Thesaurus, Shazam Encore, Smoothie, World Clock, BB Protect, Evernote, Fancytran, BB Wallet, WeatherEye, Sudoku Supreme, some Spanish newspaper apps, Trainline, The Independent, and two online radio apps and very occasioanlly I play Sim City.

I know the Bold 9780 has a smaller screen and isn't touch screen. That doesn't bother me at all as I would be able to use the PlayBook via Bridge to browse the web. But what I am not sure is whether I should buy another OS6 device or just ignore the PlayBook and get the 9900?

Everyone I see with the 9900 says it is amazing and jumps miles ahead of the older BlackBerries.

What's your thoughts? And no, I am not ever going back to iOS, Android, and I'm not going to buy a WP7 phone. I love my BlackBerry and I'm sticking with RIM.

Thank you.
    11-25-11 11:56 AM
    Well there is no doubt that the 9900 is a fantastic device and offers a number of perks that the other devices simply don't have. The keyboard is fantastic, the 1.2ghz processor keeps things super snappy, and the screen is crystal clear. It's a fantastic device, but it's not like it doesn't have it's faults.

If you want my honest opinion I think you'd be well suited with the 9780 and the PlayBook, and I'll tell you why. OS7 is not a huge differentiation from OS6. You get a compass application, and the ability to use the Wikitude browser, but from a basic, day to day use standpoint there really isn't that big of a difference. You've already stated that you like the keyboard on the 97XX series devices, and that the lack of a touchscreen device really isn't that big of a deal. On the 9780 you'll get that 5mp autofocus camera, while on the 9900 it's just a 5mp camera without autofocus, which can be a pain from time to time. Also, while some have complained about the battery life of the 9900 (I have had fantastic battery life myself) it is well documented that the battery life on the 97XX series devices is second to none. The 9780 also has 512mb of on board memory, so you'll be good to go there. PLUS you'll be able to pick up a PlayBook as well, which sounds like something you'd like (based on your post).

Let us know what you decide! I really enjoy my PlayBook, and I love my 9930, but I didn't get them at the same time, and the PB cost me an arm and a leg (bought it at full retail shortly after it came out). Best of luck!
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
    11-25-11 12:33 PM
    You said you occasionally play SIM City...if you think you'll be playing more games in the future get the playbook. SimCityDeluxe is on the playbook. I find the playbook to be the perfect size for games. It really is that good for games. Machinarium is on the pb and fits it perfectly.

If you web browse a lot get the playbook! You'll have great viewing anywhere with bridge.

If you can, get the 64 GB unit - one 2 hour movie file can be up to 2 GB (soon we'll have BB Movie for movie downloads)

By now you must know OS2 for the pb is coming in February...
    11-25-11 05:34 PM
    Well there is no doubt that the 9900 is a fantastic device and offers a number of perks that the other devices simply don't have. The keyboard is fantastic, the 1.2ghz processor keeps things super snappy, and the screen is crystal clear. It's a fantastic device, but it's not like it doesn't have it's faults.

If you want my honest opinion I think you'd be well suited with the 9780 and the PlayBook, and I'll tell you why. OS7 is not a huge differentiation from OS6. You get a compass application, and the ability to use the Wikitude browser, but from a basic, day to day use standpoint there really isn't that big of a difference. You've already stated that you like the keyboard on the 97XX series devices, and that the lack of a touchscreen device really isn't that big of a deal. On the 9780 you'll get that 5mp autofocus camera, while on the 9900 it's just a 5mp camera without autofocus, which can be a pain from time to time. Also, while some have complained about the battery life of the 9900 (I have had fantastic battery life myself) it is well documented that the battery life on the 97XX series devices is second to none. The 9780 also has 512mb of on board memory, so you'll be good to go there. PLUS you'll be able to pick up a PlayBook as well, which sounds like something you'd like (based on your post).

Let us know what you decide! I really enjoy my PlayBook, and I love my 9930, but I didn't get them at the same time, and the PB cost me an arm and a leg (bought it at full retail shortly after it came out). Best of luck!
    I do have to agree with Elvin for the reasons he states based on your situation. I like him have a 9930 which I love which works for me.

On a lighter note we get I cannot tell you how many threads a week on here about people asking US whatthey should buy.

This is virtually impossible to answer and I wish these threads would cut down, the only way you or anyone else can knowwhat to buy even they are nice enough to ask our opinion is that you have to remember we all have different devices based on OUR needs and nobody elses. People are goingto have to start going to the stores and trying them out, see what is right and buy that unit based on your needs and what it feels like to you and maybe these threads will cut down when people really understand that only way they are going to buy something and it is not asking us, opinions are ok but that is about it.
    11-25-11 05:53 PM
    If I were in your shoes I would get the 9900. You can always get a PlayBook at a later date, but the 9780 is depreciating quickly. I am assuming your phone will be purchased with a contract renewal, buying the 9780 means being stuck with the previous generation of phone for a longer time and you could have the best (IMO) model now.
    I don't know anything about your situation (age, job, etc) but you'll have many more future opportunities to buy a PlayBook then you would to upgrade your phone.

I hope that helps, and for what it's worth I wouldn't trade my 9900 for any phone. I had to get a replacement last week and the store was out of stock. They gave me an HTC Vivid to use in the meantime which is one of the best Android phones out there and all it did was make me appreciate the 9900 that much more.
    11-26-11 06:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD