This guy wrote a column on geek.com suggesting that maybe the new BB10 phones will not have LTE capabilities.
    What do these guys smoke?

BlackBerry London launching with same chip as Kindle Fire HD?
    10-01-12 01:14 PM
    I just can't see it - in key markets the phone has to have LTE capabilities, not even because of consumer demands but because of carriers.
    10-01-12 01:18 PM
    He doesn't say BB10 phones. He highlights one phone.. the London which is basically the Dev Alpha B.
    10-01-12 01:25 PM
    Check the source, RapidBerry. There are 3 models, two of which have LTE. This is particularly smart from RIM's perspective since they want this phone to sell all over the world and not just in LTE markets such as Canada, UK, US and Japan. There are plenty of people and markets out there that would want a flagship device but have no use for an LTE chipset because LTE doesn't exist for them yet.

The guy who wrote the article, imho, is probably hoping to stir up a bit of controversy in order to get page hits. He obviously sourced RapidBerry at the bottom so he should know the other 2 devices have LTE.
    mark37724 likes this.
    10-01-12 01:28 PM
    He doesn't say BB10 phones. He highlights one phone.. the London which is basically the Dev Alpha B.
    i figured that was the case the leaked photos of the london look very similar to the dev alpha b minus the corners and the raised edge around the screen, also from pics of the battery it looks like it just has a plastic shell around it
    10-01-12 01:36 PM
    Reports are the London will be HSPA and use OMAP4 processor, and the Lisbon and Laguna will be the LTE ones with the Qualcomm processor, so technically this guy is restating the currently accepted rumor.
    10-01-12 02:47 PM
    Verizon and ATT in the NA market will not have or promote a flagship product without it being LTE (based on there own definition). No LTE no ATT/Verizon.
    10-01-12 02:50 PM
    Is the London the first full touch one to be released?
    10-01-12 02:51 PM
    according to Bla1ze, no i doesn't seem that way, and judging by pics that have been leaked and been shown of the dev alpha b i would have to agree, but we will know for sure in a few months once RIM pulls the curtain off of BB10 and its devices
    10-01-12 02:55 PM
    i figured that was the case the leaked photos of the london look very similar to the dev alpha b minus the corners and the raised edge around the screen, also from pics of the battery it looks like it just has a plastic shell around it

The Dev Alpha B (at least imo) is the finished hardware with maybe altered speccs, you can tell that the phone is screwed in to the DEV alpha B box - when we saw the dev alpha b render leaked a few months back i always thought it looked like a phone in a box.
    10-01-12 03:40 PM
    The Dev Alpha B (at least imo) is the finished hardware with maybe altered speccs, you can tell that the phone is screwed in to the DEV alpha B box - when we saw the dev alpha b render leaked a few months back i always thought it looked like a phone in a box.
    thats what i saw also, the CPU and GPU may be changed but the structure and screen may be the same, but judging by the resent A series leaks it may not be, only time will tell
    10-01-12 04:04 PM
    I think it would be suicide to put out a phone without LTE.
    LAZYMAN 91 likes this.
    10-01-12 06:05 PM
    I think it would be suicide to put out a phone without LTE.
    Depends on the target market. You need to think global, the world is bigger than USA.

LTE has only released in a few areas of the world, and in some markets the national operating bands have not even been assigned yet. The range of available bands is wide (IIRC 800-2600 MHz) so it is unlikely a single chipset will span the range and it will need several different hardware builds tailored to the destination market. It would be cost overkill to ship a cutting edge LTE device to a non-LTE market, and ridicule-attracting insanity to ship an LTE device which is incompatible with the national LTE standards (see iPad and 4G in Australia )
    Masahiro likes this.
    10-01-12 06:21 PM
    Are you guys nuts?

It's going to have LTE. Even Thor said one of the reasons they lost was because they didn't have 4G (even if that's not true).
    10-01-12 07:39 PM
    The press will kill them if it doesn't have LTE in any market. Plus, they said they are not going to be making all kinds of versions of each phone for different markets. They bought that company so they could just use one radio for all markets.
    10-01-12 08:05 PM
    No, there have been specs released that show BB10 phones with LTE
    10-01-12 08:57 PM
    The press will kill them if it doesn't have LTE in any market. Plus, they said they are not going to be making all kinds of versions of each phone for different markets. They bought that company so they could just use one radio for all markets.
    Did you actually read and understand what I wrote in the previous post?

In probably half the countries of the world LTE frequencies have not been assigned, and in many cases (like here in UK) some of the proposed frequencies are still allocated for other purposes like military and broadcast. That could be a huge problem for regulatory approval and import of equipment which has the ability to cause illegal interference, regardless of the difficulty making equipment which will work on unannounced frequencies.

(before you embarrass yourself further, some of the countries still sitting on the fence are NOT third world, and some of the countries in sub-saharan Africa which many US members habitually deride as third world are neither poor nor undeveloped)

Even without the constraints I have described, what is the point of shipping devices with high cost LTE radios into a market where they are incapable of working LTE and will be obsolete before LTE is even available? That is more or less the egg-on-face mistake Apple made.
    sleepngbear and drjay868 like this.
    10-02-12 08:11 AM
    These are the reported specs of the 2 LTE models intented for the LTE markets. The device mentioned in the blog the OP posted is intented for non LTE markets only primarily in Europe!

Leaked: BlackBerry 10 Laguna Specifications | Rapid Berry

Leaked: BlackBerry 10 Lisbon Specifications | Rapid Berry
    10-02-12 08:57 AM
    ease there there people, 3 different hardware variations of the same device might just indicate is the same device for 3 different markets based on their network needs
    10-02-12 09:09 AM
    Did you actually read and understand what I wrote in the previous post?

In probably half the countries of the world LTE frequencies have not been assigned, and in many cases (like here in UK) some of the proposed frequencies are still allocated for other purposes like military and broadcast. That could be a huge problem for regulatory approval and import of equipment which has the ability to cause illegal interference, regardless of the difficulty making equipment which will work on unannounced frequencies.

(before you embarrass yourself further, some of the countries still sitting on the fence are NOT third world, and some of the countries in sub-saharan Africa which many US members habitually deride as third world are neither poor nor undeveloped)

Even without the constraints I have described, what is the point of shipping devices with high cost LTE radios into a market where they are incapable of working LTE and will be obsolete before LTE is even available? That is more or less the egg-on-face mistake Apple made.
    Thank you for clarifying but, yes, I can read.
    Firstly, if one antenna can handle all of the various types of frequencies, why wouldn't they send it out with that antenna?
    Secondly, I don't buy a phone for only one year. I don't want it to be obsolete in a year and be wanting to get a new one because of that. I'm also pretty sure EE is rolling out an LTE network so what happens then?

So it appears as though it is you who is embarrassing yourself.
    Have a nice day.
    Last edited by timmy t; 10-02-12 at 10:10 AM.
    10-02-12 10:07 AM
    The press will kill them if it doesn't have LTE in any market.
    What are you smoking? Why would the press care if RIM makes a non-LTE phone that is sold only in countries that DON'T HAVE LTE? So, you're saying that RIM should install an LTE radio in the phone (and subsequently the consumer pay for it) even tho it's not possible to use LTE? I hope you don't own a business.

Plus, they said they are not going to be making all kinds of versions of each phone for different markets.
    Can you please provide a link that shows when RIM said this? I know I don't have a photographic memory, but I don't recall hearing this.

They bought that company so they could just use one radio for all markets.
    What company are you referring to? I'm not being a smartass here, I really don't know what you're talking about and I would like to do the research on it.

Firstly, if one antenna can handle all of the various types of frequencies, why wouldn't they send it out with that antenna?
    I'm no expert, but I didn't think there was a single antenna out there that was able to "handle all of the various types of frequencies". Its an issue of being able to fit in both radios. Right? Or are the radios built into the chips now? If that's the case, is there a single chip with both radios that you can plug into a phone and suddenly I can take my phone from VZW to AT&T to Rogers to Bell to Orange to (name your carrier of choice)?

Secondly, I don't buy a phone for only one year. I don't want it to be obsolete in a year and be wanting to get a new one because of that.
    So, RIM is only building phones that make you happy now and whatever phone won't be obsolete for you in a year should be ok for the rest of the world?

I'm also pretty sure EE is rolling out an LTE network so what happens then?
    Then, after they have LTE, they can get a phone that supports LTE.

What you're saying is that if I have a company that makes a toaster that can slice, toast, and butter your bread in 8 seconds, but it requires a special 4-prong plug, I should sell it in your country even tho your country's electrical infrastructure doesn't support 4-prong plugs/outlets, because you are supposed to support those special plugs at some point in the future. However, I could be making a few dollars by selling a toaster that can slice, toast, and butter your bread in 12 seconds using the existing plugs/outlet in your country. Then, after you support 4-prong plugs, release a new model that can do it all in 4 seconds.

I REALLY hope you don't own a business.

So it appears as though it is you who is embarrassing yourself.
    No... I think Branta knows what he's talking about. You, however, may know the answers to the chipset/radio questions I asked, but you seriously need to take an economics/business course if you're going to discuss a company's business practices. That, or just use a little common sense and think things through a little bit.
    10-03-12 08:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD