It ultimately comes down to what you're going to be using the Curve for. If you don't need the data package, you don't have to get it. Though I do know a lot of people who don't start with one & give in.. it's just so convenient
    04-24-08 10:24 PM
    For your use, you're good. You aren't handicapping something you would never use.

Syncing does not require a data plan.

Also if it's only going to be for calling and calendar, might as well get a Pearl. It is much smaller and fits your needs. If you don't text or use the internet, you don't need a full QWERTY keyboard.
    04-24-08 10:38 PM
    It ultimately comes down to what you're going to be using the Curve for. If you don't need the data package, you don't have to get it. Though I do know a lot of people who don't start with one & give in.. it's just so convenient
    Yeah, I converted a co-worker... He started with just unlimited text and today he said he gave in because he saw me happy with all the apps and stuff I was doing. He wanted the themes I had and even got Telenav, which AT&T gives me for free on my work device.
    04-24-08 10:40 PM
    Ya when it works on that out dated CDMA network. LOL
    Huh? I've had Sprint for 10 years, and my phone has never not worked, my internet has never not worked, and I've never been unable to make a call, even in the elevator at my office, and I travel alot.

But back to the original question... If you're set against the data plan, I'd recommend going with a berry with wifi if you can. I'm guessing you have a GSM provider based on your data plan pricing concerns, so the odds are good that the wifi berrys will work with your provider (but always check before you buy!)
    04-24-08 10:43 PM
    Welcome to CB!!!!
    04-25-08 08:34 AM
    A BlackBerry isn't a BlackBerry without a data plan. Seriously, why spring for one if you're not going to get the data plan. I don't get it...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Because some people dont need 24/7 access to their email...

Some sit infront of a computer all day...some have access to WiFi all the time...

there is plenty of reasons...
    04-25-08 09:58 AM

Best part, It does not cost me $6000 a year.

I am prepared to pay for a reasonal plan, but not for a plan that charges me $10 Mb.

When my carrier offers me an unlimited UMA plan for the right price, I am all over it.
    04-25-08 12:15 PM
    A BlackBerry isn't a BlackBerry without a data plan. Seriously, why spring for one if you're not going to get the data plan. I don't get it...

How is it not a blackberry? They're pretty phones...let our non-data subscribers enjoy em too!
    04-25-08 06:10 PM
    It's like buying an airplane and not flying it! Just driving it around the taxiway. Sure you get the feel of being in an airplane but you're not using it to its glorious fullness!
    04-25-08 06:44 PM
    I would say its more like buying a plane....and not having a first class. That sounds better
    04-25-08 06:49 PM
    without a data package, you cant use the internet, bb messenger and other 3rd party apps.

downloading uses data unless you do it via DM.

yes you can sync it with outlook even if you dont have a data plan
    I agree...................
    04-25-08 07:22 PM
    WiFi without a data plan works great, especially if you only send and receive a minimal amount of email. I also normally have a laptop close by if I want to do some serious web browsing.
    04-25-08 08:32 PM
    I guess I was tainted from day one as my first berry was from work and had full data. Would never have even thought about doing no data when I got my personal berry (for work). Seems a waste......just my $0.02.

04-25-08 10:38 PM

I have the minimum data plan from Bell on mine and I am toying with getting rid of it, since I have the data services turned off all the time unless I need to download a theme or something. Bell charges $25 a month for 4MB and that's just unreasonable. Besides, I have an iPod Touch in my purse beside my Blackberry Pearl that has WiFi if I really absolutely need to go online.

Until Bell offers a reasonably priced Unlimited Data plan, I will have data services turned off, and since I work online all day I don't even miss it. It's a fantastic phone and organizer and that's what I need it for, internet is gravy.
    04-26-08 10:50 PM
    Way to stand your ground. Sooner or later the Canadian carriers will realize they have kneecaped their base with crippling prices.

04-26-08 11:23 PM
    Oh absolutely. To my knowledge only Telus has unlimited data, for (I think) $60 a month. I mean, if I really, really wanted to check email all the time, Bell does have a new Unlimited Email/BB Messager plan for $15 a month with no internet. The only knock is that OTA for themes, for me, is easier - I have yet to have a download to the computer theme installation work.

I am sure it's a matter of time, adn if I called Bell, since I have everything bundled from phone to satellite, I am sure if I asked there is an Unlimited available that they don't want you to know about, but it's just not an absolute must have. I don't think it makes me less of a BB user, just because I am not connected 24/7. ****, half my emails are garbage anyway.
    04-27-08 01:27 AM
    I'm toying with getting a Pearl 8120 with only the email plan (required to have that or the full data plan.) I have a laptop to surf the internet and it's got a nice wsxga+ screen at 1680X1050 and I don't want to be in constant contact with people. I hate it when people try to keep tabs on me and not having a phone right now (just got back from overseas) is actually rather refreshing.

The reason I want the BB is that it'll be my first "smart phone" and I'll want to use it for contacts and calendar stuff. I am interested in the 8120 because of wifi, but from what I'm reading, you can't just connect it to a hotspot and surf the internet. That doesn't make sense to me and if true, I'll get something else.
    04-27-08 02:24 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD