Is it possible with a Blackberry to use it to read emails WITHOUT access to wifi or 3g?

My wife rides a bus to work and she would sync the Blackberry before she leaves for work and read them on the bus, and resync after work to update them.

Thanks!
    01-12-12 09:22 AM
    I'm trying to understand what it is you are trying to do. If your question is "Can I shut off the radios on my Blackberry and still read e-mail and messages I have already received?" the answer is yes. However since you mentioned syncing, I think your question is "Can I use a Blackberry as a PDA without having any sort of data plan?" and the answer to that is no.
    jpy007 likes this.
    01-12-12 09:56 AM
    I am trying to use a Blackberry to download emails from Hotmail at home and then read and delete them when traveling to work.
    01-12-12 10:12 AM
    I am trying to use a Blackberry to download emails from Hotmail at home and then read and delete them when traveling to work.
    Yes, you can do that with a couple limitations.

1.) You need to have the Blackberry on a Blackberry Data Plan and the hotmail email setup on the Blackebrry.

2.) Typically the Blackberry will not download all of the larger emails or larger attachments, with the option to load more. If she is not in a cellular coverage area, she will not be able to download the extra bit of the email or the attachments. There may be an option to set this default email message size so she gets larger emails by default.

Without the Blackberry data plan that includes email, she will not be able to use the Blackberry email features. All this is assuming your question was triggered by her bus ride and her work not having access to cellular data or wifi , but she does have cellular coverage at home and wifi. For wifi, you still need a Blackberry data plan with email, but you also need a wifi capable phone.
    Last edited by robsteve; 01-12-12 at 10:37 AM.
    jpy007 likes this.
    01-12-12 10:34 AM
    In other words, no. She will not be able to plug her BlackBerry into her computer, download all her new messages, and read them on the way to work. Now, if she has a BlackBerry data plan, she would be able to access it via WiFi at home, it would download all her e-mails, which she could then access and read with all data connections turned off. But you cannot plug your BB into the computer and download all your e-mail.
    jpy007 likes this.
    01-12-12 11:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD