Just got my first blackberry today! Im like a fat kid in a candy store, and I want to take the rest of the day off to go home and play with it! I do have a question. I have been reading about UMA and was wondering the following: I have a wireless router for my road runner. Can this be used to improve my in-house signal or to I need to get TMO @ Home? Your knowledge is apreciated!
    04-29-09 11:08 AM
    You would have to get an add on device from the cellular carrier to do this as far as I know. Normal wireless routers don't access the cell accounts to do a VOIP option like that.
    04-29-09 11:22 AM
    The WIFI signal does not "improve" the cell tower signal, but gives you an extra option to use your cell service.

What the Unlimited WIFI Calling does, is for the $10 monthly fee, it gives you unlimited free calls, while using UMA no matter where you are, as long as there is an open WIFI signal. So if most of your calls are made while you are near a wireless router, your plan mins are not used if you have the Unlimited Hotspot Calling addon, added to your plan. If you are not paying for the addon, you still get to use the WIFI signal, but plan mins will be used, just like when making calls from the cell towers.
    04-29-09 11:31 AM
    You don't need a special router, as long as IPSEC forwarding is enabled on your router it should work. I have a Linksys router at home and it works just fine.
    04-29-09 11:40 AM
    If your router supports 802.11g, it will work fine with your BlackBerry. There is a newer specification, 802.11n that is not compatible.

Once you have your Wifi connection established, you should get the UMA indicator. When it is active, all of your voice and data will bypass the carrier network and use the much faster Wifi connection.

04-29-09 12:01 PM
    I have an older Motorola router that works just fine.

FYI- I had a few issues with phone quality when I first hooked it up. I changed the channel in the router's setup page and have had no other issues since. Just giving a heads up...
    04-29-09 12:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD